Weather to Expect for Hershey Fall Meet

John_S_in_Penna

This question is asked every year, but there

are always newcomers and people coming from

great distances, so it's worth discussing.

It's currently more than a week away, so the

FORECAST can't be accurate. But TYPICAL

weather can be described for people's planning.

MOST LIKELY: High temperatures, Low 60's to mid-70's.

Light jacket or none at all. Morning lows: 45-60.

Many days are sunny this time of year.

But weather can vary considerably, as summer

ends and winter approaches. Take a few layers

of clothing that you can add or shed as needed.

A few years ago, there was an unusual frost in

the morning, though the frost quickly gave way to sun.

One really warm day--uncommon but not unusual--

might see highs creep into the low 80's.

MUCH LESS LIKELY--cold all day. One day I sat

in rain in the car corral, shivering a bit,

and the high never got above 45. This would be

about the worst you would bring clothes for.

EXTREMELY REMOTE--light snow. Yes, people can

tell of light snow that fell one day, perhaps 1 year in 30,

but it melts in just a few hours, and it's so far

outside of the norm that it's not something

one must plan for.

As someone living close, I hope this helps.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Well, I guess I post this every year, but I am positive there will be weather at Hershey this year.

For some odd reason, it seems that there's weather every day of the year at Hershey.

The quality of weather can be debated, of course, and prior to asphalt fields, it seems the tolerance for lesser quality weather was greater than recent years..

Does the weather really matter? Has anyone ever stayed home because of it. See you all Tuesday. Bob

People unfamiliar with south-central Pennsylvania's

weather might like to know what clothes and jackets

to bring. It may be a little bit different, for example,

from Florida or Finland or France!

We have been in the flea market when the temp was 27 degrees and when it was 91 degrees.

I remember a year in the 70s that we had close to those extremes in a matter of days. We actually hiked out to find sweatshirts and gloves and by Saturday were in T-shirts and were to hot.

The rain two years ago literally killed my car. It rained so hard the drains in the engine compartment couldn't keep up and flooded the air filter housing. When we started the car in the morning, it drove 50 feet before the engine hydro-locked and was toast.

You guys are totally putting the kibosh on us by talking about it. Maybe we'll get a tornado this year...

The hurricane will be long gone by the time Hershey starts up next week; Fall Carlisle will be affected the next couple of days for sure, I would only remind people that the show field on Saturday morning in 2013--even after ten Inches of rain the preceding two days--was PERFECT.

I've learned not to trust any forecast over three days out, but as of now, next week is looking just fine...

• Like 1

Maybe we'll get a tornado this year...

Last year at the CLC Grand National in Lake George, a tornado touched down 7mi away in the neighboring town and killed a family of four.  It was on Tuesday night just as the event was starting.  I was out washing the Fleetwood after just arriving and within a matter of 45 seconds, the skies turned dark, the wind picked up, and the rain, thunder, and lightning started.  It took me about 15 seconds to pick up my stuff off the sidewalk, throw it in the back seat of the car and get in.  The storm continued for about an hour.  In the time it took me to get into the drivers seat, the seat was soaked for a couple days after and I looked like a drowned rat when I drove up and parked under the hotel canopy to get inside. 

Walked into the hotel room and my wife took one look at me and said, who got washed, me or the car.  Then I opened the curtains.

Was pretty scary stuff.

Anyway, the Canadian website I use up here for my weather forecasts, when I checked yesterday, was saying cloudy with a high of 48 on show day with a low of 32 that night.  They may be a little off.  LOL.

Edited by danleblanc (see edit history)

AACA promises you weather!  As of this morning things look very decent.  Remember all the doom and gloom about the show field in the last few years?  Remember all those who left only to find a perfect autumn day with virtually no mud problems?  Hey and Dan do not scare us with those Celsius temperatures!!  Look forward to seeing everyone and stop by the AACA booths on Chocolate Field and in front of the Giant Center.  Lots of new merchandise for this year. 

Steve - that's converted to Fahrenheit - 9 Celsius daytime and 0 Celsius nighttime.

My first time showing in Hershey was 2013.  Despite the monsoon, show day was fantastic.

After coming 750 miles for the show, my car will be on the showfield rain or shine.  Actually, a black Fleetwood shows better in the rain.  Bright sunlight can be unflattering to a black car ;)

The rain two years ago literally killed my car. It rained so hard the drains in the engine compartment couldn't keep up and flooded the air filter housing. When we started the car in the morning, it drove 50 feet before the engine hydro-locked and was toast.

You guys are totally putting the kibosh on us by talking about it. Maybe we'll get a tornado this year...

I realize you are just kidding concerning the Tornado. What you and others may not realize is that 11 years ago an F-3 Tornado touched down less than 5 miles from Hershey (Campbelltown, PA). From what I understand, Hershey Park does have very sophisticated weather monitoring equipment so I think they have us covered.

I agree with others that when it comes to clothing, one needs to prepare for just about any type and temperature of weather.

For those new to Fall Hershey I have a few other tips for consideration:

- Sun screen. Even though it is October, being out in bright sunlight for 8-10 hours a day could result in sunburn.

- Bring a pair of waterproof shoes/boots to Hershey and extra socks. The blacktop parking lots where the flea market is located are great (ie no mud). However, when it rains, the water runoff during or after a rain can easily soak your feet. Walking around the flea market for hours with soaking wet feet is not a good thing. Also, on Saturday morning the show field grass can be covered in morning dew which can also get your feet soaking wet as well. On a sunny day the dew does dry out by late morning/early afternoon depending where on the show field you are.

- Rain Poncho

- Knit hat and gloves. Yes it has been cold enough to wear these in years past especially if you start walking the flea market at sunrise.  

• Like 1

Good suggestions, Charlie.

Long-time veterans know Hershey, but

of course we expect many newcomers to

enjoy the event for the first time,

and your recommendations should help.

For example, if you or I were to visit Mount Washington,

New Hampshire for the first time in March,

or visit Auckland, New Zealand in July,

wouldn't we appreciate knowing what to expect?

You would not believe the panic by some people already.  Fielding calls whether we will cancel, etc.

In fact, if weather.com is to be believed the weather outlook has even become better this afternoon!  If they are right we will have PERFECT weather this year.  Again, it is the best forecast I have heard and I choose to believe them!!!  However come unprepared so we can sell you AACA clothing! :)

Today is Thursday, and though forecasters

might put their opinions out for all to see,

they have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what the

weather will be like a week from now.

But yes, do buy AACA shirts, sweatshirts,

hats, and flyswatters, and you'll be prepared

for just about everything! No AACA show shovels,

though.

27 for a low and 91 for a high........seems like I can remember it like that on the same day! Also a sunburn in the morning and soaked to the skin in the afternoon. It's Hershey.......just go!

Yes, every weather forecast we have seen including ones used by some pilot friends of our indicates a good week next week.  While those forecast may not always be 100% right we follow them pretty closely for all our national events and they have been more accurate than not.  Thankfully, the computer models our local forecasters used and those of a couple of other national sites used did not follow the thought process of Direct TV's forecast as they claimed a monsoon.  We talked to the Pope last week when he was here, the head Rabbi, and virtually ever other religious leader in the world and asked for their blessing.  We have all the bases covered! :)  We are guaranteed to have weather next week and my money is on mostly good. 

Don't worry about the current rain... we've been draining the clouds for the past two weekends here in North and South Carolina.  I'm still of the opinion that there is always weather at Hershey whether you like it or not.  I'll be hunting for a few 40 Buick parts --wet or dry.

Two years ago, my buddy and I drove down on Friday. It rained so hard that I spent most of the day inside the Giant Center. My cell phone, although inside my bag, was ruined. My packet was a glob of pulpy slop. We both agreed that the golf course would be a sea of mud by tomorrow and would be leaving our cars home. Guess what? I awoke Saturday at home and decided to go down anyway without my show car of course, and the show field was fine. Must have great drainage! Last year though, I went down Thursday and got some great pictures of the Car Corral. Again, I failed to attend the show Saturday and this time it wasn't a mistake. It rained all day.

...Last year... Again, I failed to attend the show Saturday and this time it wasn't a mistake. It rained all day.

Cutlass Guy, I'm happy to report (a year later)

that it DID NOT rain all day at last year's show.

At first, the light precipitation on Saturday alternated

between a wet mist and a drizzle, but all the spectators

were out just the same. Then the sky cleared

for a very good show. I'd estimate that 80% of

the registered cars were on the show field,

and once again there was no mud on that well-drained

field.

And forecasts for show day kept changing,

showing that weathermen aren't always accurate

even for short-term forecasts.

However, Hershey even 80% full was better than just about

any other show that is full.

People come from such distances; they shouldn't let

the weather keep them from participating!

Correct, John--I always make it a point to arrive before the crack of dawn, around 6:30 am, and there was a light drizzle until about 8:00 or so. After that, there was ZERO precipitation, and as stated, the show field was perfectly dry. As you can see, by the end of the show, it was a perfect day...post-92403-0-41141200-1444008435_thumb.j