Packard Air Conditioning 1940-42

Joe Block

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dave:<P>I have been after a couple of 1941 Packards for a number of years. 180 Sport Brougham without sidemounts, and 180 Sedan (long) with sidemounts and air. Brougham is mostly restored and in good condition, but the sedan is not, so I was thinking of swapping the air from one to the other, and perhaps even the sidemounts, but I had always wondered if the Sport Broughams could have been offered with air, which your has.<P>Was your car offered with it directly from the factory? Does it have sidemounts?<P>I haven't been able to get them, but I hope to do it soon.<P>Thanks,<P>Victor

• 7 months later...

I am not aware that Packard ( or anyone else) offered "factory air" until the 1941 models were introduced. I do find it interesting, that "factory air" could have been ordered on ANY '41 Packard...even the little ones !

I have heard, but not actually seen any installations, that for some years PRIOR to the 1941 introduction of "factory" air, that individuals were having refrigeration units "added on". Technologically, it would have been possible to cobble up something as early as the late 1920's.

One thing I find absolutely fascinating...these pre-war "factory" units had AIR FILTERS...something that SHOULD have been offered by the industry when "factory air" re-appeared for the model year 1953 in Packard, Chrysler, and large GM cars, but was not....and..if I understand correctly..is just now re-appearing!

Also of interest - the pre-war air conditioning compressors were standard commercial "meat locker" refrigerators - big reciprocating piston types...and they did not yet have a "clutch"....you were supposed to take their drive belts off if they were not going to be used for a while. Come to think of it...I do not recall seeing clutches on air conditioning compressors on the very first of the '53 cars with "factory air"...I seem to recall the idea of an electro-magnetic clutch came in, in mid year. ? ? ? ?

Pete Hartmann

I think 1940 was the 1st year for Packard, and 1941 for Cadillac for air.

There are about 5 or 6 '41 Caddys known with it, and I know of at least one 1940 Packard with it. It's a 160 or 180 club sedan & is being restored by its owner in Cleveland. Bt the way, I believe the air units were originally installed in Cleveland as well.

Hello-------Friend, no PC asked if I could find A/C info for his probably after market trunk unit out of a "56". Said cant find mfg. on any of it?? Would like to know if worth fooling with as far as effecent or not. Any source of parts, or where might he get it gone over. Neither of us know any thing about them.

Looooooooooong time ago a neighbor $$$$$$ had a "39" Looooooong Packard with factory air. Had to add on to his garage for it.

Thanks George