Rome ME junkyard, What is it?

Mobjak

The banjo steering wheel is '39 Ford, the last year of the horn button with headlight controls.  The shaft of the rod going down to the switch at the base of the steering box can be seen sticking up.  Interesting that the door window frames aren't rounded but are vertical and squared off at the rear, a configuration that prewar Ford cabriolets didn't have in this country since they didn't have rear quarter windows except in '42. The rear of the body is not anything produced in this country that I know of. This may be a Ford-based foreign-built car by Jensen or some other custom or limited production builder, that someone messed with.   

The banjo steering wheel is '39 Ford, the last year of the horn button with headlight controls.  The shaft of the rod going down to the switch at the base of the steering box can be seen sticking up.  Interesting that the door window frames aren't rounded but are vertical and squared off at the rear, a configuration that prewar Ford cabriolets didn't have in this country since they didn't have rear quarter windows except in '42. The rear of the body is not anything produced in this country that I know of. This may be a Ford-based foreign-built car by Jensen or some other custom or limited production builder, that someone messed with.   

Looks like a 1940 dashboard.

The bumper guards are '39 Ford Deluxe.  The trunk lid has some resemblance to that of a '39 Ford convertible sedan, though it may be a bit flatter, can't really tell.  This creation may have started out life as a '39 conv. sedan, the door windows also suggest that.  It looks to me like a period customization, probably professionally done.  The '40 dash could have been an easy update.  The bumpers and Nash grille were crude subsequent alterations.  More pictures would be welcomed.

c

onv.sedan,

The bumper guards are '39 Ford Deluxe.  The trunk lid has some resemblance to that of a '39 Ford convertible sedan, though it may be a bit flatter, can't really tell.  This creation may have started out life as a '39 conv. sedan, the door windows also suggest that.  It looks to me like a period customization, probably professionally done.  The '40 dash could have been an easy update.  The bumpers and Nash grille were crude subsequent alterations.  More pictures would be welcomed.

c

onv.sedan,

The cowl is 1940, as I said, the 39 had the battery inset into the firewall on the passenger side. This one does not.

post-80089-0-45386100-1443622533_thumb.j

• post-80089-0-75921900-1443637080_thumb.j

post-80089-0-41141700-1443637104_thumb.j

It is clearly a dukes mixture.  That headlight rim isn't a '40, is likely a sealed beam adapter, which would make it a '39 fender.

1940 had sealed beams and used an adaptor very close to that. The 40 Deluxe headlight assembly is attached. They had a parking light in the top of the adaptor. From 39 to 40, the opening in the fender for the headlights were the same. I attached a pic of the 39 fender and headlite to show opening wasa the same. 40 assemblies were often used to convert to sealed beams in 37 - 39 Fords.

The cowl is 1940, as I said, the 39 had the battery inset into the firewall on the passenger side. This one does not.

Only the '39 Standard had the battery in the cowl.  The Deluxe's battery was on a shelf on the right fender, just like the '40's.  So, the cowl COULD have been a '39 with a '40 dash upgrade.

I did some more research and I now hav to agree that this is a 1939 Ford Deluxe w/1940 dash upgrade. WHat I found was that the Convertible sedan was discontinued and not available in 1940. Next question is "When are you going to buy it? And when do we see pics of your progress....LOL"

That's right, the Ford convertible sedan was discontinued after '39.   Mercury however did have a convertible sedan in its 1940 line-up. 

It would be nice for someone to buy the car, but in reality it seems these derelicts are worse in real life than they look in their pictures.

Yes, but in reality, aren't we all derelicts in this hobby?