Amusement Park Cars

alsancle

This is 30 miles from my house.   Not sure I've seen this version of the Ihle before.  Looks to be repowered.

"GEBR IHLE Kinder Sport 1955 Mercedes 300 SL Amusement Park Car. Needs some love but may be a good candidate to restore. Currently doesn't  run."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEBR-IHLE-Kinder-Sport-1955-Mercedes-300-SL-Amusement-Park-Car-/255172916792

Ihle.jpg

I'm wondering if it was originally a tracked car and was modified?

GEBR IHLE Kinder Sport.JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

This is 30 miles from my house.   Not sure I've seen this version of the Ihle before.  Looks to be repowered.

"GEBR IHLE Kinder Sport 1955 Mercedes 300 SL Amusement Park Car. Needs some love but may be a good candidate to restore. Currently doesn't  run."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEBR-IHLE-Kinder-Sport-1955-Mercedes-300-SL-Amusement-Park-Car-/255172916792

Ihle.jpg

• 2 months later...

This brings back memories.  I had a one man golf kart that was this identical configuration that we swapped in a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton for the electric motor.  It would really go.    This would have been much cooler.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-039-s-SELA-Bumper-Car-Motorcycle-Trike-Coin-Op-Amusement-Park-Custom-Flake-/234342752096

1970's SELA bumper car / trike. Such a cool find! Haven’t really found out Tom much information about this piece. I see that the company is still in operation out of Italy. I am guessing this is from the 70’s era because of the flake paint. THIS ITEM IS SOLD AS IS UNTESTED. The bike rolls fine. Put air in the tires and they seem to hold. This was set up to take coins. There is a kill switch on top of the coin mech box. Bike measures 24” wide X 52” long X 39” to the top of handle bars.

Image 1 - 1970's SELA Bumper Car Motorcycle Trike Coin Op Amusement Park Custom Flake

Guys & Gals, here are old pix of Amusement Park rides. First an old News Paper showing a RedBug track in Point Defiance Park here in Tacoma Wash. Next an ad for another park and a RedBug with the park steel all around bumper. Next a pic. of My

Red Bug just for grins. The munchkins love it when on display. Enjoy! 

RedBug track.jpg

Amusement Park.jpg

Ride 4.jpg

'27Auto Red Bug '13 GPNW Micro meet II.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/28/2021 at 9:28 AM, alsancle said:

My son and I went to Busch Gardens about 2 summers ago.  It was 95 degree day and the park was empty.   We rode everything 5 times.

I would love one of those little Bearcat replicas.

Hi... I was wondering if you ever found one of those Bearcat replicas. I heard they were destroyed upon dismantling of the LeMans Raceway.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, BearsFan315 said:

Our local Theme Park (Not Amusement Park) Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA (Next door to where the AACA Annual Meet will be) opened in 1975 and had a LeMans raceway, that i loved as a kid. my grandparents took us there once a year or so and that was my favorite ride. i got to drive a car alongside my grandfather who sat shotgun. granted it was on a track and would tentatively drive itself along hte guide rails. but i got to smash in the gas pedal slam on the brakes and envision myself racing the race.

The closed the raceway down back in 2006 to make way for a new Roller Coaster (Griffon).

I would love to get one of these old cars, and just cruise around it in, granted it is only 1/4 scale or so, they were fun and cool. i would of course remove the governor limiting it to 7mph.

Did you ever find you one of these LeMans 1913 Stutz Bearcat replicas?

Old thread but just found it and read through. Brought back some good memories. When Disney World first opened I am pretty sure they had something akin to a Model T for their 'freeway' ride. One of my favorite parts of the trip. When you got off at the end they would give you a drivers license. 

Close to Hershey, Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster still has an 'old style' car for their ride. At least they did a few years ago.

• Like 3

On 6/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, CandiLand said:

Did you ever find you one of these LeMans 1913 Stutz Bearcat replicas?

no, my understanding is that they have them in there storage. they keep everything, sometimes transfer from park to park, if not it stays in their ghost warehouse forever :!

guess correct term is 'boneyard'

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

Not amusement park, but watching Elvis last night, I think it was 'Spinout'. He was a nascar driver. There were a couple of scenes that were a club/diner. The tables were all car bodies, no front ends or roofs. Just a body tub, with a table in the middle. They almost looked like they may have been real cars at one time. Actually kinda cool. If I was one of those guys with a mammoth cave of cars, one would make a nice display.

On a side note there were some good clips of the old nascar races. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, BearsFan315 said:

no, my understanding is that they have them in there storage. they keep everything, sometimes transfer from park to park, if not it stays in their ghost warehouse forever :!

Not all went to the "ghost warehouse". We have a yellow one...in good condition... kept out of the elements.. everything is original, just like it was when it left Busch Gardens. 

IMG_E1261.JPG

IMG_E1262.JPG

IMG_E1263.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CandiLand said:

Not all went to the "ghost warehouse". We have a yellow one...in good condition... kept out of the elements.. everything is original, just like it was when it left Busch Gardens. 

IMG_E1261.JPG

IMG_E1262.JPG

IMG_E1263.JPG

Whoa !!!  I want one !! that is exactly what i am looking for

rode them as a kid all the way till they removed them !!

On 6/22/2022 at 8:43 AM, TAKerry said:

Old thread but just found it and read through. Brought back some good memories. When Disney World first opened I am pretty sure they had something akin to a Model T for their 'freeway' ride. One of my favorite parts of the trip. When you got off at the end they would give you a drivers license. 

Close to Hershey, Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster still has an 'old style' car for their ride. At least they did a few years ago.

Now wait Kerrey, in one thread you say you got your driver's license from Montgomery Ward, and here you say you got it from Disneyland.  Which was it? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, BearsFan315 said:

Whoa !!!  I want one !! that is exactly what i am looking for

rode them as a kid all the way till they removed them !!

Really??!!  So..... exactly HOW bad do you want one...just like this??!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CandiLand said:

Really??!!  So..... exactly HOW bad do you want one...just like this??!

I am interested in acquiring one within reason. I am not rich.

it is really a nostalgia thing as noted. they are what got me into antique cars many years ago. Went to park with Grandparents, Grandfather always let me drive as much as i wanted. did that till my grandparents passed, Then i had kids and took my kids there did the same thing, then they removed them. Still a season pass holder today !! things have evolved and changed, a lot when Anheuser-Busch sold them off. Clydesdales, Park Benches, etc... removed all traces. 

for years now i have been doing random searches and inquiries on these trying to get a hold of one or two. want to get it running and mechanically sound, probably keep it aesthetically untouched. so i can put my grandkids around it till they can put me around :) part of the happy times of my childhood growing up with my grandparents.

4 minutes ago, BearsFan315 said:

I am interested in acquiring one within reason. I am not rich. it is really a nostalgia thing as noted. they are what got me into antique cars many years ago. Went to park with Grandparents, Grandfather always let me drive as much as i wanted. did that till my grandparents passed, Then i took my kids there did the same thing, then they removed them. been going to Busch Gardens sine it opened when i was a kid, went once a year or two as a treat :) still have season passes today for me and my kids, they are grown and have kids of their own now. 

We are local as well. I remember riding those cars as a kid and was disheartened when they removed them. I was just at Busch this past week and have taken my kids every time we come back for a family visit!  We were lucky enough to gain a piece of Busch history and rode this guy up and down the street. My mom and stepdad would putt along on the weekends until he passed 3 years ago. It ran when it was put away at that point, again 3 years ago, and has been shed kept since. You can tell by the pics, it's in pretty good condition. Nothing after market has been done to the car, it's all original. My mom is contemplating to sell it. We want it to go to a great home, where it will be loved as much as she and my stepdad loved it. As you said, Nostalgia. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 5:10 AM, alsancle said:

Ihle.jpg

on that top one talk about being in the hot seat

9 hours ago, CandiLand said:

We are local as well. I remember riding those cars as a kid and was disheartened when they removed them. I was just at Busch this past week and have taken my kids every time we come back for a family visit!  We were lucky enough to gain a piece of Busch history and rode this guy up and down the street. My mom and stepdad would putt along on the weekends until he passed 3 years ago. It ran when it was put away at that point, again 3 years ago, and has been shed kept since. You can tell by the pics, it's in pretty good condition. Nothing after market has been done to the car, it's all original. My mom is contemplating to sell it. We want it to go to a great home, where it will be loved as much as she and my stepdad loved it. As you said, Nostalgia. 

sent you a PM

...click on Envelope in top right of page

I am interested when she is ready to let it go :) I promise I will provide it a really good home and take care of it. Will have a nice climate controlled space to live & rest in. I would drive it so it would NOT be a dust collector.

• 2 weeks later...

read an article this past weekend in regards to the LeMans Raceway cars noted above at Busch Gardens.  they talked about a parade they do in France @ Busch Gardens in 2010 for  illumiNights, and that they sent one of the Lemans Cars back to manufacturer and had them do a restoration on it, well i call it a refresh paint, seats, had to find tires to fit !! they also converted it completely to electric and added a horn :) 

• 1 year later...