Jeff Hayes '64 Interior Pictures

CTX-SLPR

BINGO!!!!

I'm of slightly mixed opinions about the headrests and seatbelts but that is a stunning integration of the seats.  I found a line on one of these here in the Bay Area and considering them instead of the Eldorado seats I currently have since the Eldorado motors hit the floor pans well before the front seats can catch on the front hooks.

Guest Dantana

I agree - I like that idea of subtle storage and front speakers.

Those speaker enclosures on the doors are interesting..... anyone have any idea where those came from?

They do come off, the whole thing but your left with a hole in the side of the seat.  Search E31 Seat Repair and there are some good disassembly, hide removal, and other things out there on them.  In the end I decided that putting my current 98-02 Eldorado seats in was equal or less than work than messing around with a set of the BMW seats though they don't have the seatbelts in the seats.  I'm going to pass that last point in front of the wife and if she says it's a must for all 4 seats... well I'll see if I can't still get ahold of them.

hi gang,

I'm Jeff, that's my riv.  I was amazed to see this thread -- it's been years since I've been on this board, and just happened to visit today because I've got a question for the crew (on a different post).

thanks for the kind words about the seats.  The intention was definitely to make it safer, but to try to stay as close as possible to the spirit and sensibility of the original design.  Like, if Bill Mitchell and co were told in 1964, "you have to have shoulder belts and a headrest", how might it look?

At the time I did this there were really only two or three cars that had built-in seatbelts like this -- the chrysler sebring convertible was another, but the square shape of the BMW seats just matched the interior style better.  Since then I've seen other options I could have used, but these seats have served me well so far.  The "floating headrest" design is unique.

the speaker pods on the doors are these:   http://www.smart-parts.ca/product_detail.php?id=16

-jeff

hi gang,

I'm Jeff, that's my riv.  I was amazed to see this thread -- it's been years since I've been on this board, and just happened to visit today because I've got a question for the crew (on a different post).

thanks for the kind words about the seats.  The intention was definitely to make it safer, but to try to stay as close as possible to the spirit and sensibility of the original design.  Like, if Bill Mitchell and co were told in 1964, "you have to have shoulder belts and a headrest", how might it look?

At the time I did this there were really only two or three cars that had built-in seatbelts like this -- the chrysler sebring convertible was another, but the square shape of the BMW seats just matched the interior style better.  Since then I've seen other options I could have used, but these seats have served me well so far.  The "floating headrest" design is unique.

the speaker pods on the doors are these:   http://www.smart-parts.ca/product_detail.php?id=16

-jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for responding.  What are your other options?  The wife is now asking for the shoulder harnesses since I told her it will be fast...

CTX what were the issues with your eldorado seats again? I am asking because that is only a couple of things away on mine and i'd like to get a jump on it. My rears are getting refinished, but the fronts were garbage and not salvagable. Basically the fronts were submerged in water and the base of the seats were trashed. If i recall right you said you might have to cut a channel for the seat motors?

Edited by devildog93 (see edit history)

The problem I had when I test fit mine were that the seat motors hung low and hit the floor before you got the front hooks down with the seat base even close to level.  You'd probably have to pedistal up the hooks and their straps or cut the floor to clear the motors.  I'll pull my dry fit pictures tonight and post them up.

Edited by CTX-SLPR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I can't remember all of them that I've seen, but off the top of my head,  certain years of Cadillac CTS, and some chevy tahoe (and 4-door trucks?) have the built-in shoulder harnesses.  for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2006-GM-Chevy-Tahoe-Suburban-Yukon-Silverado-oem-front-leather-seats-/262083498379

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2006-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Tahoe-Yukon-Sierra-Suburban-Front-Cloth-Seats-Tan-/321861950684?hash=item4af0779cdc&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-07-Cadillac-CTS-Front-Seats-Black-Leather-/151667206872?hash=item235011ead8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-CADILLAC-CTS-SEATS-LEATHER-FRONT-AND-REAR-OEM-ALL-ELECTRIC-TAN-/181865850404?hash=item2a580ca624&vxp=mtr

also, some late 90's and early-mid 2000's mercedes SL models, mid 2000's BMW 3-series convertibles, and a few others.  But the american ones are easier to find and cheaper.

For what it's worth, I have some clearance issues with my seats as well.  I had brackets fabricated that lift the seats high enough for the motor to clear the floor, but they're a little too high.  It's okay for me because I'm not tall, but I've always thought about revisiting it, making a new shallower motor bracket on the bottom or even cutting into the floor.

-jeff

I once got a pair of the Cadillac style seat to try in my  '64.  I found out that they don't mount to a flat floor.  Those seats needed a rail that ran from door jam to console to raise them enough to keep the motor from sitting on the floor.  The Chrylser Sebring sears were nice but the shoulder belt needs the installation of a sensor that reacts to roll over / momentum.  The shoulder belts on the Sebring seats are constantly loose unless the sensor senses tilt or a shift in momentum.  It's no mean feat to wire that sensor.  It's wired hot all of the time so that you can move the belt.  When it looses its 12 volts, the electronic solenoid locks the belt.

Ed

Ed,

I talked to a chap on PowerTour one of the years I went and he said that there was a cut off for the inertial reel type belts and the sensors came into play.  No idea what it is but he was running a set in his Impala  so I'm guessing he knew about it.

I only know that when I wanted to move the belt with the seat sitting on the garage floor, I had to put 12V to it to get it to move.  As soon as there's no power to the seats, the solenoids lock the belts.  I finally bought a motion sensor and hooked it up to the seats.  As long as the sensor was level, the belts could be moved.  As soon as I would tilt the sensor (as if the car were rolling over,) the belts would lock.  The locking solenoid was inside the upholstered part of the seat.  I decided that I didn't really like to looks of them so I sold everything. 

All the Dodge trucks I have driven have the Seatbelts in the seat.  I may look for those too.

Thanks for the list of cars that may fit in the Riv. My wife also complains about the metal dash hitting her in an accident.

I would like a more comfortable seatand back a little further. I am a big boy and long drives get painful after while.