Cleaning differential 1967 Riviera GS - Sandblast or Wire Brush?

Guest taongisurvivor

Guest taongisurvivor

I am now ready to clean the differential in preparation for painting and bolt replacement.  All hardware removed.  Is it safe to sandblast if I tell the guys to stay away from the seals and the plastic vent (I'll cover the vent)???  The option is to wire brush with a grinder but I am running out of time as I leave for Afghanistan in 3 more weeks.  If I take to have sandblast I can concentrate on wire brushing the frame.  Safe to sandblast???? 

Believe it or not, I found the last NOS upper control arm bushings on the planet.  They cost me 5 days in November at my condo on the beach as trade, but I did not argue or complain as the condo was not rented during that time.  I cleaned the 2-piece control arm last night and I'm ready to paint.  

Yes you can sandblast if you tape up the vent and stay   away from the pinion and axle tube ends Tape up the

axle tube ends and the pinion area as a safeguard to make sure one grain of blasting material can't get

inside the housing. 

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I've wire wheeled and had them blasted. Blasting then a coat of epoxy primer provides the best result. You can't rely on just telling blaster to stay away from the ends especially if you have the axle shafts removed. Make cover plates out steel and bolt on using silicone sealer. If axles are still in duct tape around where shaft comes through retainer. As mentioned already definitely Tape up the plastic vent and pinion shaft at seal area