carbdoc

New Tires' Whitewalls Turns Brown . . . What to Do?

On 12/13/2016 at 8:03 AM, Curti said:

Yes Bill I agree. And that is how 99% of them came from the factory. Your Plymouth is looking good !

Well, maybe 98% ?

Light 8.jpg

Thank you for the kind words, Curti, but my car is just a driver that looks pretty fair from 20 feet away.

It looks better in photos than in person.

Another harsh reality of our car hobby today is that many highly-effective chemicals which were used "back in the day" for various processes are now banned by EPA, etc. Maybe this has something to do with whitewall tire color durability? 

• Remember when gasoline had tetraethyl lead, which eased valve train wear and allowed for higher compression ratios? (It's gone today.)
  • Do you recall the days when there used to be several chrome platers in every major city? Around here (Dayton, Ohio), they are virtually all gone now.
  • Asbestos was our best bet for gasket material in exhaust manifolds, and a critical component in brake linings. Virtually gone now. 

We could all give many similar examples, of harsh (but effective) chemicals and materials being no longer available. And, there is much more, WORSE legislation being proposed every day. I spent some time on the board of directors of SEMA in the 1990's, and I was continually stunned and shocked by proposed legislation coming out of California. 

Anyway, I just wonder if this "greening process" may have anything to do with the problem of whitewall discoloration today? 

• Like 1

Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone still make 'white' whitewall tires.  The issue results from inferior materials and third-world quality control.

• Like 1