West Coast junk yards the you recommend? Trying to find good chrome,etc for 77-79 Linc.

Guest LuxDriver

Guest LuxDriver

Tried a few most never write back. U want pit-free chrome, bumpers owner's manual , etc.. Also gonna need proper white walls so any help there is appreciated too..

post-154225-0-13168900-1443130467_thumb.

Montana is the best place for pit-free chrome. Most of the west coast has what is fondly know as "California chrome" which has millions of tiny pin point size flaws in it. Looks good from a distance, but close up, it really shows up.

I would think that for that vintage Lincoln there would still be NOS out there. I agree that SoCal chrome is exposed to such intense heat and sun that tiny pits are all over it if it was on a car that wasn't garaged. The garaged cars are seldom in the salvage yards around here.

I would think that for that vintage Lincoln there would still be NOS out there. I agree that SoCal chrome is exposed to such intense heat and sun that tiny pits are all over it if it was on a car that wasn't garaged. The garaged cars are seldom in the salvage yards around here.

Guess again. NOS trim parts for 1970's Lincolns are practically non-existent. I can find Packard NOS parts easier.

Hershey might be the place for Model T and A parts, but not for 1970's Lincolns. I went once a few years ago and went through the entire swap meet. The only items I found were a grille and a taillight, both junkyard parts, for about 2 - 3 times what you would pay for them on Ebay. Fortunately I didn't need them.

Guest AlCapone

That is unfortunate because I always said that if it can't be found at Hershey you will likely have to have it made. It used to be A and t parts but certainly not any more as the A and T are very much in the minority. I know because that is what I look for. Hopefully you can have some originals rechromed. Wayne

Here you go, looks like the parts are out there but scattered around many different sellers. This is from the first page on google for "lincoln nos" but the next page went into the ex-president. Some of these sites only have a small part of their inventory listed so you will have to contact them to find most items.

http://lincolnoldparts.com/CTGY.html?CatListingOffset=240&Offset=240&Category_Code=1979&Per_Page=24&Sort_By=disp_order

http://www.classiquecars.com/lincolnitemsexterior70.htm

www.lincoln-ranch.com

https://www.bakersauto.com/1977-79-Mark-V/products/31/1/0

http://www.greensalescompany.com/

http://www.greensalescompany.com/TourGreen.htm

I agree that Montana is among the best places to get good pot metal pieces, but southern Idaho shares that distinction. Two of my favorites are Jim Hinz (spelling) place in Mountain Home Id,. Vintage automotive, Mountain Home Id., 83647 . Jim is one of the nicest guys that I know. jim@jimsvintag@wtomotive.com

208 587 3743

There are a good number of old car wrecking yards around Napa, Caldwell, Meridian, Boise and Mountain Home. The names escape me but you should be able to find them kind of lined up along I-84.

Also a big lot in Helena Mt., Again can't remember the name. Hope it's still there, rumor has it that there was a pending sale and demise was eminent. There had been another yard that met the same end several years ago.  

I have seen chrome last for years in the desert sun, so I don't think is the major cause of deterioration in Southern California. I think that it is more from moisture and air pollution.

I had a bad experience with one of the 5 on

the list above, and firmly concluded that they

are dishonest. They quoted me a price WITH

postage, and when I asked for a break-down,

found out that they were trying to charge

$50 postage for a small package of under a

pound, that could fit in my hand! There's

even more to the story.

I'll P. M. the original poster to identify

this company.

Sounds crazy but you might even look to the east coast for a garaged car that has underbody rot,  not worth fixing on one of these.  I have found some amazingly nice chrome on some rusty cars that were taken care of and garaged but rusted out underneath or someone got the brilliant idea to restore it and took part of it apart.  One with a seized motor might be a perfect candidate as well as they just aren't worth it to most people to repair.

The trick with Hershey is to find the guy that just cleaned out a body shop or something along those lines and isn't a Lincoln guy.  You will pay through the nose for NOS parts from the specialized seller but the guy with random stuff that doesn't really know what it is will usually give you a much better deal.  Quite often he bought it by the truck load right and wants to move it,  not just display it.  Reminds me of the seller over by the giant center that has that huge display of mostly NOS chrome parts, steering wheels etc.  All very pricey.  I see alot is the same year after year.  I wonder how much they really sell?  

You can also get lucky and find the guy who bought some stuff to fix his car and is either too old or the car is long gone and now he wants to move it.  I remember a couple of years ago,  an older gent unloading his motor home and about as fast as he could put stuff on his table guys (including me) were waiting in line, handing him money to buy the stuff. 

I've also learned to look close even in the spaces that have stuff much different than you are looking for.  There are alot of surprises lurking under the tables.