Quietlion79

Location of hidden VIN(s) on 64 Riviera

Not my car but pictures that I use for authenticity from an unmolested 1964 Riviera.  This will give you a good reference for how the VIN is attached and where it's placed.

Ed

post-93305-0-11803600-1443469204_thumb.j

Not my car but pictures that I use for authenticity from an unmolested 1964 Riviera.  This will give you a good reference for how the VIN is attached and where it's placed.

Ed

Ed, Those look like large-hole rivets like the data plate not spot welds. I don't have my '64 here to check.

Matt,

I did the old "hold down the control key and turn the wheel on your mouse" trick to enlarge the picture.  When I get it big enough, I have to agree with you that the plate in the picture that I posted does look like it's riveted.  As I said, that's not my car, I was using it for paint references.   BUT, the picture of the '63 VIN plate that you posted looks exactly like the VIN on my '64.   Thanks for posting the picture for everyone to see what it was like when it came from the factory.

Ed

I did some checking around and found some great vehicle idenitifcation companies in the SoCal area, but it seems that in my situation I must go only to CHP. I will be setting up an appointment soon. I was thinking of goign to the one in NewHall instad of the West San Fernando Valley as I am hoping they have a lighter workload and can take the time required to locate the frame VINs (That I can hopefully locate before I go in). I'll let you all kno how it turns out. If I cancel my account here at the Riviera owners forum, I guess you'll know that I am not an owner any longer. :\

I'm a bit confused after looking at the gallery pictures.

1. Why is this even happening? You have a CA title from the seller which means no verification of VINs or inspection of the vehicle is required. All you do is pay the fees and leave. Wait. You didn't tell the DMV you applied the replacement vin tag when you tried to transfer the title? Did you?

2. Possible hope (if a registration service hasn't already turned you away):  On your deposit of fees printout, there are printed instructions with options to have the vehicle verified. Below them the DMV clerk handwrote "CHP Only". It is possible this direction may not be "in the system" like the printed directions are. Again, you do what you are comfortable with legally, but I would go to a registration service and have them try to verify it. Its possible the CHP direction won't show up. 

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

Paul, I'm just as confused as you are. I have registered and titled old cars in CA in the past and all I've needed was the title and whether it is "in the system" or not, I would walk out with current registration, tags and a title on the way in the mail. I'm wishing at this point that I just sucked it up and waited in line at the DMV, because apparently most AAA reps have no idea what to do with old cars. I didn't mention the missing VIN tag on my first visit to AAA, as I wasn't even aware that it was missing at the time. They said straight away that the car had to be verified, so I came back a second time and that's when I realized there was no VIN tag. Additionally, what raised the AAA rep's radar was that the number on the engine was different than on the title. THis prompted the third visit (with new tag) and the (now third different rep) staed that the tag didn't look like it had been on the car since 1964. This "necessitated" the stamp and instructions to go see CHP.

I have made an appointment in t-minus 12 days. I hope the officer is patient, knowledgeable and kind. Till then, I will be looking for the frame stamped VINS.

I have been tempted to go to a registration service, and it is true that the stamp may not be indicative that it is "officially" in the system, but I think I may be too far down the paperwork rabbit hole at this point. I may try calling the DMV and see if I can glean some further info on this over the phone. If I can find the frame VINs myself, I will fell a whole HELL of a lot more confident about going to CHP. RIght now I am a little worried (have even lost sleep over this). I thought this would have been easy, just like the 60 tbird, 67 galaixe fastback and others that have gone before...

I would still go to an independent registration service to confirm the recommended CHP direction for verification.  Your car is in the system because you have a DMV printout, but the handwritten note by the clerk at AAA may not be. I believe this because I have seen the CHP direction message PRINTED on the printout by the computer with the other verification options. 

Laws between countries are differerent, but even over here (in Australia), its your responcibility to prove the car is the car in question

I have 3 old cars, a 58 Buick, a 60 Dodge and a 60 Plymouth

The Plymouth was the first one I bought and was imported here by someone about 25 years ago and in the number of owners it has had before I got the car, both tags are gone

Fun for me with this one is that I have a pile of paperwork here (Import approvals ect) for the car, but the only number that I have to prove this car relates to that paperwork is one license plate off it from when it was in Washington

The Plymouths dont have secret anything anywhere

Here though, if the vin is lost or otherwise useless, provided you can supply enough evidence that you own the car and it is the car that you own, they will issue a new vin which they will un ceramoniously stamp  on the chassis somewhere, with no regard to the nice new paint, but at least its legitamate then

Good luck

Mick

I knew I had a pic that had the number in it.   This MAY help with your search of your car, as mentioned its been known to be a bit forward of aft, but atleast you have a sense of what it looks like.  Thats the parking brake lever in the pic as reference

post-128466-0-99800700-1443852598_thumb.

Edited by alini (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had a '68 Biscayne (nothing fancy - 4-door, six-cylinder, 3-on-the-tree) that was bone-stock original.  There was only one visible VIN from the factory.  The local motor vehicles told me I had to have a 2nd.  I told them it was the original engine and I could show them the matching numbers.  They said: "We're not authorized to look at engines, you'll have to go to state DMV".

Ugh.  So i went to state level and the guy said: "Oh, you just look at the engine".  The numbers matched and I got my reg.

I do not know what would have happened if it wasn't the original engine.  This happened in CT and I do not miss living there.

Sorry if this isn't an uplifting story, but I think it illustrates that there's a certain amount of randomness to this whole thing...

Paul-

Maybe I will give that suggestion a shot next week...no harm in asking, right? Thanks for the info about it sometimes being printed on the reg card as well. Good to know.

I hope to have some time to look at the frame this weekend. With Alini's great reference pic, at least I know roughly what I am looking for (Thanks so much for posting that, Alini). At least it is near the outside edge of the frame...maybe I'll have enough clearance to run a 90 degree-angled pick over the top of the frame and "feel" where the VIN is stamped.

Mick - Wow, I guess my situation isn't so bad, thanks for the perspective. Best of luck with your situation.

RoadShark- Yup, seems like there really is no rhyme or reason...no uniform set of rules and each state does its own thing. I suppose that is both good and bad.

Edited by Quietlion79 (see edit history)

I am posting these as reference only and as has been mention your numbers may be in a different area. I ran my fingers over it and I could not feel them. And on the one at the rear I can barely read the numbers I can clearly see a 5H and that's it but I know the numbers are there

The front pic is on top of the frame between the smudge marks. The rear mark is in view in the mirror and that's 7.5 inches behind that bolt. Drivers side near gas tank side

post-128466-0-26999400-1443917697_thumb.post-128466-0-07095500-1443917716_thumb.

p.s. dont worry my cars on jacks, so I didnt really go out of my way to get this ;)

Edited by alini (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Chris, I am going to get back on this task later in the afternoon. I have a memorial flyover to shoot in a bit. Much appreciated!

Hey everyone!

I'm happy to report that I found both VIN stampings and they were the same as the one on my title. Woohoo! I think this car really was a garage queen most of her life, as there was not too much to clean off. It took about an hour or so. I used my trusty nitecore flashlight (more of a light gun, really) and a 1" adjustable mirror and found them pretty easily thanks to Chris's guidance. Mine started about 4" aft of the entrance of the parking brake cable into the frame and about 7" aft of the last body mount. Both pretty legible, although the first "7" was missing on both of them. I made scratch marks to make it easy for the CHP officer and I may go back with a paint marker just to make it that much easier. Thank you all VERY MUCH for your guidance and suggestions. I will report in my results after the inspection (after which it is STRAIGHT to the dmv...hopefully I can just go right to my restored, correct YOM black and yellow plates. :))

WOOHOO!  Congrats on that.  You're probably sleeping a little better now days.

• Like 1

Congratulations! You have proven it can be done as long as numbers aren't rusted away thanks to it being a CA car. Persistence has paid off. Excellent photo instructions Chris!!!

• Like 2

I AM sleeping better. Again, Chris thanks so much for all your help. Although I got off easy with my particular vehicle (as it was garaged and from SoCal), there was still a little rust on it. I hope this thread helps others in the future as well.

Just an update. I went to the CHP office in Valenica, CA today and Officer Mitchell inspected the car. All went silky smooth and my title is in the mail. Got plates and tags shortly thereafter. He didn't even check the frame numbers, but i told him I had found them and marked them for him. Took about 15 minutes tops. It would have been shorter, but he's a pilot and I'm learning to be one, so we got sidetracked. Anyways, now on to figure out how to get my black and yellow plates on my car. Seems like i need to by a repro 1964 sticker and put it on my plates, then bring it in to the DMV so they can put a 2016 sticker on over it (!). Gotta love California DMV rules. Thanks again, everyone for the help and support.

That is fantastic news!  It sounds like the officer liked you which can make all the difference.

Did you discuss thr repro vin tag and was it still on the car during the inspection?

You are correct on the process to get the black plates on your car. Just make sure the plates are in good conditiion, They will not allow badly faded, bent or rusted ones. Condition is subjective so one last hurdle in regard to dealing with a State employee (DMV).

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

You might have to take the stance with the CHP (if it's possible) for them to prove that it's NOT the car for which you have a title.  If they can't disprove it, then in essence they've proven that it is in fact the car for which you have a title and they should give it their blessing.

Ed; We live in Kalifornia. That ain't gonna happen.

Quietliion: I had this very same dilemma when trying to register my '63 last year after many years of storage (car was stored in friend's warehouse in CA) without registration being kept up to date and the ill owner living in a care facility in Utah for past five years with no CA address. Seller - her son- had to have Utah DMV sign that the car had never been registered in Utah.

Go to a DMV office and ask for the form used for verifying VIN by CHP inspection. Might have to give them a story about car not being drivable to get in for inspection and you want to have all forms necessary. I had to raise my request to a supervisor level. DMV website has downloadable forms but local DMV gave me one. Read and understand this form. On the form there is a place where any CA sworn peace officer (Local Cop, Sheriff, etc) can attest and sign that they inspected the info and the car and attest and verify the vehicle's ID. (There are so many stolen cars in CA that DMV is trying to do what they can to catch them.)

Now, the rub: it may be difficult to find a sworn officer to do this unless he is a pal. It took me three weeks and five trips to DMV before the job was done. So be patient, persistent and firm. Don't scream at them. They get lots of that and they are immune. Might help to wear a suit and tie to meeting, tuck your pony tail under a hat and remove visible piercings. And, bow a scrape a lot. Good luck.

Edited by DrP (see edit history)