Location of hidden VIN(s) on 64 Riviera

Quietlion79

Hey everyone!

I'm happy to report that I found both VIN stampings and they were the same as the one on my title. Woohoo! I think this car really was a garage queen most of her life, as there was not too much to clean off. It took about an hour or so. I used my trusty nitecore flashlight (more of a light gun, really) and a 1" adjustable mirror and found them pretty easily thanks to Chris's guidance. Mine started about 4" aft of the entrance of the parking brake cable into the frame and about 7" aft of the last body mount. Both pretty legible, although the first "7" was missing on both of them. I made scratch marks to make it easy for the CHP officer and I may go back with a paint marker just to make it that much easier. Thank you all VERY MUCH for your guidance and suggestions. I will report in my results after the inspection (after which it is STRAIGHT to the dmv...hopefully I can just go right to my restored, correct YOM black and yellow plates. :))

Edited by Quietlion79 (see edit history)

Just an update. I went to the CHP office in Valenica, CA today and Officer Mitchell inspected the car. All went silky smooth and my title is in the mail. Got plates and tags shortly thereafter. He didn't even check the frame numbers, but i told him I had found them and marked them for him. Took about 15 minutes tops. It would have been shorter, but he's a pilot and I'm learning to be one, so we got sidetracked. Anyways, now on to figure out how to get my black and yellow plates on my car. Seems like i need to by a repro 1964 sticker and put it on my plates, then bring it in to the DMV so they can put a 2016 sticker on over it (!). Gotta love California DMV rules. Thanks again, everyone for the help and support.

Edited by Quietlion79 (see edit history)

That is fantastic news!  It sounds like the officer liked you which can make all the difference.

Did you discuss thr repro vin tag and was it still on the car during the inspection?

You are correct on the process to get the black plates on your car. Just make sure the plates are in good conditiion, They will not allow badly faded, bent or rusted ones. Condition is subjective so one last hurdle in regard to dealing with a State employee (DMV).

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

You might have to take the stance with the CHP (if it's possible) for them to prove that it's NOT the car for which you have a title.  If they can't disprove it, then in essence they've proven that it is in fact the car for which you have a title and they should give it their blessing.

Ed; We live in Kalifornia. That ain't gonna happen.

Quietliion: I had this very same dilemma when trying to register my '63 last year after many years of storage (car was stored in friend's warehouse in CA) without registration being kept up to date and the ill owner living in a care facility in Utah for past five years with no CA address. Seller - her son- had to have Utah DMV sign that the car had never been registered in Utah.

Go to a DMV office and ask for the form used for verifying VIN by CHP inspection. Might have to give them a story about car not being drivable to get in for inspection and you want to have all forms necessary. I had to raise my request to a supervisor level. DMV website has downloadable forms but local DMV gave me one. Read and understand this form. On the form there is a place where any CA sworn peace officer (Local Cop, Sheriff, etc) can attest and sign that they inspected the info and the car and attest and verify the vehicle's ID. (There are so many stolen cars in CA that DMV is trying to do what they can to catch them.)

Now, the rub: it may be difficult to find a sworn officer to do this unless he is a pal. It took me three weeks and five trips to DMV before the job was done. So be patient, persistent and firm. Don't scream at them. They get lots of that and they are immune. Might help to wear a suit and tie to meeting, tuck your pony tail under a hat and remove visible piercings. And, bow a scrape a lot. Good luck.

Edited by DrP (see edit history)

You might have to take the stance with the CHP (if it's possible) for them to prove that it's NOT the car for which you have a title.  If they can't disprove it, then in essence they've proven that it is in fact the car for which you have a title and they should give it their blessing.

Ed; We live in Kalifornia. That ain't gonna happen.

Quietliion: I had this very same dilemma when trying to register my '63 last year after many years of storage, without registration, in Calif and the owner living in a care facility in Utah. Seller had to have Utah DMV sign that the car had never been registered in Utah.

Go to a DMV office and ask for the form used for verifying VIN by CHP inspection. Might have to give them a story about car not being drivable to get the car in for inspection and you want to have all forms necessary. I had to raise my request to a supervisor level. DMV website has downloadable forms but local DMV gave me one. On that form there is a place where any CA sworn peace officer (Local Cop, Sheriff, etc) can attest and sign that they inspected the info and the car and attest and verify the vehicle's ID. There are so many stolen cars in CA that DMV is trying to do what they can to catch them.

Now, the rub: it may be difficult to find a sworn officer to do this unless he is a pal. It took me three weeks and four trips to DMV before the job was done so be patient and don't scream at them. They get lots of that and they are immune. Good luck.