Fan Hub Failure - Your Thoughts??

MrLiken

My fan hub suffered a catastrophic failure yesterday on the way back home.  Does anyone have thoughts of what happened?  I contacted Brassworks here in CA and told there is a 10 week turnaround.  So much for the rest of the touring/show season..  I will take it to a local rad repair shop to see if they can solder/seal the core to get me through October.

IMG 0451

IMG 0452

IMG 0453

IMG 0450

John, that sucks. Sorry to see that happen. What type of belt did you have on? It SHOULD be leather, but rubber can be used. The belt should be loose enough that the fan can just be turned when engine is not running.  It may have been too tight at some point and cracked the hub. If you look at the break is there part of it that is rusted? doug

Doug,

I have used leather in the past, but just recently changed to rubber.  I may have had it a tad too tight.  There was no rust on the break. 

So, you mean loose enough so that the fan will "slip" when the engine is off? 

Guest DodgeKCL

The core has pretty well had it so I don't think you can do any more harm if you take a set of very long nosed needle nose pliers and pinch off the damaged tubes from the back and front. Then put in some BARR's LEAKS or the equivalent. It may weep a bit but it should keep you on the road for the season. We used to do this and live with it when we had no money so it does work.

No permission?

Shouldn't need no stinking permission?

Try again.  I had the settings on my album set to friends.  I wouldn't think that it would affect something that I posted though.......  Let me know.

Ouch that hurts!  It does appear to have been welded....  Someone trying to fix a crack perhaps.  Poor judgement since getting a good replacement would not have been that hard to find.  If the damage is confined to the aft row of tubes maybe it can be repaired. 

Thanks all.  It was a weld with old and new damage.  Apparently, I tightened the new rubber belt too tight.  I had it so that it would not slip.  I have the radiator at a shop now and he is going to blank off about 8 tubes on the rear.  He doesn't think it will effect the cooling at all.  I just need it to make it through the season with shows almost every weekend now, then will do a proper re-core.

My next question has to do with the fan.  The hub is getting repaired having new bushings inserted because it was pretty sloppy.  As most here know, the cars' output is approx 35 hp.  How critical is it to have the fan/blades true and who does that work if in fact it is critical?  My radiator shop seems to think it would be, but has no idea who to do the work.  I am searching for a replacement fan, but I'm sure there are no NOS fans out there, so anything I get will most likely need to be balanced.  As always, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.