!928 Chrysler 62

maok

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum because I have taken delivery of my first vintage Chrysler 62.

It needs a couple things to be taken care of before I can register it to driven on public roads.

It has oil leaks from the side valve covers. I have searched far and wide on the web but have not been able to find where I could buy some.

Help would be much appreciated.

It has a Tillotson carb but it is in very poor condition, leaking fuel from almost all of its gasket. Increadibly, it still seems to start and run fine. I have had luck in finding a gasket kit, increadibly here in my home town - Brisbane, Australia.

I am sure I will be needing more help in the future, thanks in advance.

Keep smiling,

Moe

post-154764-0-85385000-1442405700_thumb.

Thank you for your kind comments.

My plan was to cut the gasket to shape if new stock was not available. I will try Olson's.

I am aware that the Tillotson is not the correct carb but Strombergs seem to be very thin on the ground at the moment.

Tillotsons are available re-manufactured and at a reasonable price too.

I wasnt aware the that the door handles were NOT correct.

post-154764-0-75842800-1442445740_thumb.

Im getting to know this Chrysler a little more intimately, I assumed that changing a wheel (tyre and rim) would be a very simple process.

After removing the 4 wheel nuts, does the tyre and rim simply pull off by hand? Or, is there other nuts/bolts need removing?

Im getting to know this Chrysler a little more intimately, I assumed that changing a wheel (tyre and rim) would be a very simple process.

After removing the 4 wheel nuts, does the tyre and rim simply pull off by hand? Or, is there other nuts/bolts need removing?

It will pull off with a little struggle, but not too much. Carefully pull out the tyre and band at the opposite side of the valve stem. Best if you position the valve stem at the top and pull out from the bottom. Be careful as the front wheels will try to turn right or left when you attempt it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I tried to pull it off with some gentle force but I may need to give it just a little more. Thanks for the input.

Regarding bodies being built locally, I believe the Chrysler models were imported fully assembled but many other makes had their bodies manufacturer by local builders like the iconic Australian company - Holden. Holden in the late 40's was taken over by General Motors and became the local arm of GM as GMH.

Before my first drive of her, I did an oil change (old oil was black as a crow) with Castrol 15w 40 mineral 5 litres. Approximately 5 litres of the old oil was drained and the dip stick read full. But the oil was burning and the oil fumes were exiting via the oil cap. While driving I notice the oil pressure was down to 10psi but with the old oil it was idling at 30 - 40 psi.

What oil is the best to use? Or, does it need more than 5 litres?

Keep smiling,

Moe

I

If this is your first venture into vintage motoring of this era, I would strongly suggest you join up with one the Aus Chrysler clubs;  they have one in Qld.

Because of the design of split rim on these cars, you could easy loose some fingers when messing with wheel / tyre changes if you are unfamiliar with them. :unsure:

Thanks for the helpful info.

I am member of the http://chryslerownersclubqld.com/site/

I also have an Australia Chrysler 1969 Valiant hardtop (Aussie version of the Dodge Dart ) but that is another story.

Chrysler vintage cars (many Ford A models, Chevs, Whippets, Humpmobiles, Fiats, etc)  are very thin on the roads here in Australia and hence why I joined aaca.com to get valuable info on my 62.

I am not planning on removing the tyre off the rim, just learning how to change the tyre/rim with the spare.

Can the tyre come off the rim accidentally?

Keep smiling,

Moe

Thanks for the helpful info.

I am member of the http://chryslerownersclubqld.com/site/

I also have an Australia Chrysler 1969 Valiant hardtop (Aussie version of the Dodge Dart ) but that is another story.

Chrysler vintage cars (many Ford A models, Chevs, Whippets, Humpmobiles, Fiats, etc)  are very thin on the roads here in Australia and hence why I joined aaca.com to get valuable info on my 62.

I am not planning on removing the tyre off the rim, just learning how to change the tyre/rim with the spare.

Can the tyre come off the rim accidentally?

Keep smiling,

Moe

I have never seen the tyre come off of the rim by accident.

The blow-by from could be caused by the rings that may be a bit stuck if the car has not been run for quite sometime.

Lower oil pressure could be the car had heavier oil in it to help with worn rings and bearings.

I had one rim that was very had to get off. When I did pry it off I found that it was originally   a wire wheel that had all the spokes cut off and forced onto the wheel.