vicpanza

Data plate restoration 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938

Message for johnworden1.

I wrote to you on October 20 advising that the Dodge truck was a 3 ton war model T110-L-5 manufactured in Canada.

Could you please advise the color of the engine and transmission and maybe where I could get a copy of a photo of the engine so that an associate here in Australia can continue with his authentic restoration.

Regards

John Spinks

I bought the plate from Poland on ebay. "DODGE TRUCKS" was not centered on the plate and I informed the maker through ebay that I wasen't happy with it. He sent a photo of one with the words centered (like shown on the ebay listing) and I think he will send a corrected plate. 

I'll keep you posted.    John

Message for johnworden1.

I wrote to you on October 20 advising that the Dodge truck was a 3 ton war model T110-L-5 manufactured in Canada.

Could you please advise the color of the engine and transmission and maybe where I could get a copy of a photo of the engine so that an associate here in Australia can continue with his authentic restoration.

Regards

John Spinks

I sent a photo to you.   John

Why haven't you tried this company?

Have you tried this company? They did the one for our 34.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-121135-0-36040400-1442354866_thumb.
  •  
  • post-121135-0-51537800-1442354867_thumb.

509-226-3522-Just tried the number and it is good.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

I had a few VIN plates silk screened and was really pleased with the results. Pictures don't do them justice. I cleaned and polished the plates, and my screener used a semi-gloss ink to screen these. May clearcoat mine to protect it, but maybe not? Thought you might like to see the results. He is holding the screen and can do more if anyone out there is interested. Best if we can get several to do at one time. 

post-126575-0-71000100-1448415829_thumb.

post-126575-0-54101800-1448415846_thumb.

post-126575-0-26293800-1448415865_thumb.

post-126575-0-11149000-1448415876_thumb.

I found a local "engraver" who printed a new plate for me directly on 0.5 mm stainless steel. Out of a printer, I suppose using laser printer technology. Very glossy, although the stainless has a faint brush finish (to provide tooth for the paint). My original plate (1930 Dodge Brothers maker's plate) was tin plated steel 0.012" (0.3 mm) thick. They must have been printed in large sheets and punched out - you can feel the tiny raised edge on the back.

There was a question about etching. They deposit something on the metal on the "white" parts and acid etch the rest. The etched area is thus lowered a tad more than the thickness of the paint. Then they paint it black (or some other colour) and wipe the paint off the high areas, which come up as metal colour. This is not like original, but it will not be easily polished away like the original painted plate and if it is, it is easy to repaint.

I did my artwork using Inkscape, an open source vector graphics program. The lettering was all done using Bezier curves because the fonts are not available. I traced over what photographs I could get (none were any good, most plates are almost completely missing their paint).