65 Riv GS at Auburn sold fri

Rufcar

This is supposedly an all original car. Brought 38,500 plus commissions:

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF15&ID=r0159&Order=price&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=\

there was also this 63:

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF15&ID=r0572&Order=price&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=

there were 2 - 64s one did not make reserve at 30 the other at 20.

Edited by Rufcar (see edit history)

Some seller got a sweet deal.  Any notice that the color of the vinyl top is not a factory color.  Black only in '65.  The non-'65 center caps, the missing snorkle on the air cleaner, and there's no black paint on the stainless trim around the wood grain on the door panels.

Ed

Some seller got a sweet deal.  Any notice that the color of the vinyl top is not a factory color.  Black only in '65.  The non-'65 center caps, the missing snorkle on the air cleaner, and there's no black paint on the stainless trim around the wood grain on the door panels.

Ed

Ed,

Unlike the earlier first gen cars there should be no black paint on the stainless trim in the `65 interior so that is "correct"...otherwise, I agree, there are many non-factory issues. The first I noticed and most significant/costly to reverse for me is the incorrect seat material. However, having noted the issues in this car, the supposed sale price is certainly not at the high end of the scale. Price seems to me to be between a  #2 and #3 car. I would expect a #1 car to be in the $50K range and possibly higher depending on color, miles and equipment. The higher values for GS cars are not simply based on an emblem package. There is much substance in the option and really transforms a personal luxury car into a PERFORMANCE oriented personal luxury car. 1965 Riv GS values are always dragged higher, with much kicking and screaming, when the muscle car market starts shopping for a bargain. The same can be said for Skylark GS values.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Ed,

Unlike the earlier first gen cars there should be no black paint on the stainless trim in the `65 interior so that is "correct"

Tom

Learn something new everyday.  I guess I'm just going to have to get a '65 for myself so I can 1) have one of each year of the 1st generation, and 2) learn more about those subtle differences, and 3) be able to tell everyone who asks me about my '63 or '64 "is that the one with the hidden headlights like I saw in Roadhouse?" no, but I have one like that.

Was it the exact same molding but without paint, or was it a different style?

I'm always surprised at the large difference between the selling price for non GS 65's from dealers (and now auctions in this case) and private sales. I'm sure these cars have a lot of quirks and non working items. I talked to a guy with a 63 that bought it at a Mecum auction and the transmission failed within the first week. Both these cars are not show quality cars, they look to be low 2 or strong 3's. That's fine but these were really overbid. 

I think a lot of people get caught up in auction fever and they end up overpaying. I know we all want our cars to be worth more but that lemonwood yellow for $25k? Was that color even offered for 65?