What is it? 33-34-35? Dodge Humpback

Customer calls and wants to find or build a Humpback like the one pictured for Family functions. He is trying to determine if its a 33-34-35. I would say 33 or 34 with the style of wheels and caps. 34 was last year for wires? What would you say? What a cool story.
Dave;
        My name is Charles.. and I was browsing through Google in search of a 1934 Dodge Humpback Panel Delivery, wire wheels and suicide doors possibly for sale, when I found your website.

I was raised on Johnson Truck Farm and Nursery, Ironwood, MI.  The photo is from 1936 a picture of my Grandmother and Grandfather, Sophie and George Johnson.  My father and his 3 brothers worked on the Farm.  I lived on the farm till I was 5+.
My father just passed away a couple of weeks ago, and it has prompted me to find this vehicle, if I could, but chances are slim that I would ever find it.  But if I could find another one to create it, would work as well.

Any insight where I might look would be greatl

post-121135-0-78703700-1442018697_thumb.

• Like 1

Looks like a 33, I think the front fender were different on 34,35 a little higher wheel well, the spare would be higher, hard to tell from picture, as for rims, dodge would put what you wanted, no 2 were the same, if it fit use it.

I sent picture to chuck and Bryan , to see there opinion.

Jesse

Interesting.

tThe front and rear fenders are the same on the 33-34-35 trucks and the 33 car. 36 truck totally changed with the fenders. 34 and 35 car totally different. All part numbers are the same for the front and rear fenders on the 33 to 35. Cars are different, but not the trucks. Artillery not available till 35 according to parts book. Was the dip bumper available for the trucks?

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

1 ton kicks back further behind rear axle. I only know because we have all the Humpback mentioned above.  The caps are also different on the 3/4 ton and bigger.14 Humpbacks to count at this time with 3 sold. 3/4 ton had underslung spare and not in the fender?

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

I would agree with Dave, not the bigger 1 ton.  The splash aprons on the 1 tons are significantly higher and the truck sits higher.  Fenders across the 33-early 35 are the same.  As to wheels, as above, those are all over the board and I have seen original photos/Dodge advertising with all types, including artillery wheels with 34-style caps on these.  Having researched these for years, this is either a 33 HCL, a 34 KCL or early/'first series' 35 KCL.  The only way to really tell would be to get the serial number (HCL or KCL prefix) or a photo of the dash.  33 HCL and a large number of 34 KCLs have the 33 Dodge car type dash, a single contained unit, squared off ends, located in the center of the dash.  In late 34 the parts books show a production change to what I would call a '35-36' type of dash, with the three individual round gauges located roughly in a triangle in the center of the dash.  This was continued throughout the remainder of 34 and through the 35 KCLs that are 'first series', i.e., with suicide doors.  There is a variance in even those, some having a glove box and some without.  I have not been able to determine what significance, if any, there is to that variance.  Although the truck production numbers are not particularly clear in providing an exact 'year break' in the serial numbers on the KCLs, 34 versus 35, my KCL panel looks like it is a late 34 with the second type dash with round gauges and a glove box.  Attached photos show my KCL (awaiting me finishing my 34 PE...) and photos of the two different types of dashes.  If the customer can recall (at his/her young age) what the dash looked like or can find another photo, then you might be able to dial it in more closely.  Finding ANY of these is not easy.  Have fun! 

post-131819-0-79405700-1442088049_thumb.

post-131819-0-91459900-1442088399_thumb.

post-131819-0-26118500-1442088464_thumb.

I agree it's most likely a '33HC. But a photo of the dash would answer the question.I agree with Scott that wheels are all over the place. However '33 SEEM to have wires and then '34 and '34 have steell artillery in original condition. But the dash photo would answer the question once and for all.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

The customer was 5 at the time that he left the farm. This is the only picture that they have in the family with this truck. No vin numbers or nothing to go on. To find that truck would be like a needle in a haystack. Especially MI because they rust out so fast. In 35, the caps have the clips on the wheels. Think that started in late 34?

OK, went through my literature collection on the 33-first series 35 Dodge Commercial Sedans and Panels.  I think the safest assumptions about wheels are as follows:  33 had wires but others were optional; 34 had wires but others were optional; first series 35 had artillery wheels.  I base those assumptions on mainly the following three Dodge sales brochures, but this information is consistent with other sales literature I have: 

--January 1933 Form No. CI, Commercial Sedan sales brochure.  Doesn't list type of wheels for the standard 5.75/17 tires but clearly they were wires.  Lists "EXTRA EQUIPMENT" as including "600/16 Air Wheel tires with wire, wood or chromium-spoke steel wheels."  While I don't have any literature from 1933 that shows pictures of the "chromium-spoke steel wheels", they are pictured on several Commercial Panels with that description in a January 1934 Form K-6 'Dependable Trucks for Department Stores' advertising brochure and they are clearly steel artillery wheels.  I don't have any sales or other literature for HCL Commercial Panels.  I certainly have never seen any and would love to know if they ever existed.

--April 1934 KC/KCL Form K-8 Commercial Sedan and Panel sales brochure.  Lists standard wheels for the standard 5.75/17 tires as "wire wheels".  Lists "EXTRA EQUIPMENT" as including "600/16 Airwheel tires with wire or chromium-spoke steel wheels".  A somewhat earlier brochure from March 1934 directed at 'Laundries and Dry Cleaners' shows numerous Commercial Panels, all of them with wire wheels.

--May 1935 KC/KCL Form K-30 Commercial Sedan and Panel sales brochure.  Same "EXTRA EQUIPMENT" as in 1934 but only steel artillery wheels listed as standard.  The Ross Roy Handbook from March 1, 1935 lists for the KCL Panel "five demountable steel artillery wheels"  with the available option of "20-inch steel disc wheels" for "greater road clearance".

My best guess on the customer's mystery Panel is that it is a 34 KCL or first series 35 KCL, but that is not based on the wheels.  You can just see at the far left edge of the photo the end of the rear bumper and the tip is of the narrowed type found on 34 and 35s, as opposed to the squared off end certainly found on 33 HCLs.  Per the March 1934 'Laundries' brochure listed above, which has on the cover page one of the extremely few photos that show a rear bumper on a KCL Panel, square end bumpers were still around in March 34.  In the customer's photo, far right side, you can see a small portion of the front bumper and it looks, at least to me, to be the 34-35 type bumper, which I think is just slightly narrower than the earlier square end models.  Finally, there simply were many more 34 and 35 KCLs than there ever were of 33 HCLs, so pure numbers indicate KCL rather than HCL.  My $2.95 worth of two cents... .  SMB

Scott:

Very good info. Can you post pictures? When I get back home (volunteer fire repair @ the Butte fire) I'll post what we have. 

Thanks for your time.

Dave

PS

These fires are really bad this year. A hole town was consumed by fire. Pray for our fir fighters and victims.

Dave--Would be glad to post whatever I can that would be helpful.  If there is one particular item in my long winded post about HCL/KCL wheels that someone would like posted, let me know.  Here is a 34-35 with the tapered end bumper and just a random pic of a Commercial Panel that, like Lucky Strike Green, has 'gone to war'.  Looks like the military, as would be appropriate, preferred 'artillery' wheels.  For any other photos I will have to wait for the weekend because of work this week.  Take care with those fires up there Dave. 

post-131819-0-82577000-1442359130_thumb.

post-131819-0-35676000-1442359358_thumb.