tb3

need help with 88 reata engine/trans mounts

I live (am) in st. louis, mo. I'm flying to green bay tomorrow, then renting a car to drive up to marinette to tyco for a exciting 2 day class for fire fighting foam systems.

I work for a corporate flight department

Tb3, have you inspected your heat shields? I've had both come loose from my manifolds and it caused a clunk when going into gear. Especially drive to reverse. The rear one was only missing 2 of three fasteners at first which made it a bear to track down.

all heat shields appear to be intact and secure.  thanks for the suggestion.

I do have to say, that driver side rear mount is one major pita to change out.

it took a while to get that nut back on the stud.  nearly lost my religion and all the feeling in my hand, lol!

I found the best tool to tighten it is a 18mm gear wrench, and lots of patience.

I have a feeling the 89-91 owners have a lot easier time changing out their mounts, and I wonder if that had anything to do with the change in configuration after the 88 year

Edited by tb3 (see edit history)

nearly lost my religion and all the feeling in my hand, lol!

That happened to me when I found out what my PP was for.

John F.

I need to know the name of the mount that is directly in front of the harmonic balancer....

I had a serpentine belt failure, and it clobbered the CPK crankshaft sensor;  the car immediately stalled and would not restart;  with an inspection mirror, I could see that a part of the sensor appears missing (with a bare copper metal wire or contact now exposed)....

So, in order to get to the nut for the harmonic balancer, I removed that mount in front of it -- which connects to the AC compressor bracket -- and in removing the nut, the shaft for the mount broke (at the point where the nut is)....

I thought this would be called an 'engine mount', but I now don't think that's correct name....

Anyone know the name and where I can get one (or just the shaft/rod that goes through it)?

thanx,

Luftweg

Luftweg,

To my knowledge, those can no longer be found new anywhere.

There are vendors here who could get you a used one or you may be able to find one in a salvage yard.

There is a name for it but I can't think of it right now.

John F

• Like 1

That is the driveline vibration absorber (in GM speak). Long since obsoleted by GM and the OEM. However search ebay for "stabilus 123-240-23-48". This is a near identical part used by Mercedes Benz on many of their cars of the same vintage (early 90's) and is a good substitute fit. I have used this part on my 91 coupe successfully with no deleterious effects.

You will find many of these for sale as NOS there amd typically run about $35.00. This is the only readily available option I've found short of omitting the part entirely (which I think is a bad idea).

KDirk

• Like 1

Kevin,

Thanks for providing that info. I just broke one of these myself and wondered what I was going to do about it. Now I know!

John F.

• Like 1

I need to give credit to Jon (63viking) as if I recall, he was the one who first discovered this some years ago. MB used these on several cars in the same basic application as it was used on the GM E platform cars from 89-93 or so. Not really sure how effective it is (it isn't a mount really, just a vibration absorber) and at 25+ years old I figure it has lost most of it's gas charge by now and isn't damping anything. At least a NOS unit can be presumed to work to some extent.

KDirk

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Kevin.  I had one OEM vibration damper in my possession which I installed on my 92 Riviera 2 mos. ago.  Had no idea where I would find one to put in inventory as a spare for my 91 Reatta.  Just ordered the Mercedes pair on EBay.

No problem. I have a second spare on hand I will be installing in my 91 roadster. At least they are fairly cheap and appear to be in good supply for now. Curiously this part is not present on the 88 models, which have a slightly different engine mount system. No idea why they adopted it starting in 89, I note no deficiency in the 88's as far as extra vibration not present on my 91's. A side by side comparison renders no perceptible difference to justify the addition of the driveline vibration absorber after 1988.

Of course, GM bean counters never met a non-essential part they wouldn't cut to save a few pennies so I have to think it was a needed part for some reason. Just don't know what it was as it isn't at all evident to my admitttedly non-engineer perceptions.

KDirk

That happened to me when I found out what my PP was for.

John F.

just saw this post, lol!

hey guys, is that torsioner/damper strut your talking about that's not on the 88's, was it added in 89 to only the reattas? or on all gm 3800 equipped cars?

• Like 1

All 3800 equipped E platform cars as far as I know through at least 1992, maybe 93 in some cases. Probably most if not all others 3800 engine equipped vehicles as well. I know the Riviera and Toronado had it. The Eldorado had a 4.5 or 4.9l V8 (year dependent) from 88-92 and I don't believe it had the vibration absorber. So it was apparently an item deemed neccessary for cars with the 3800.

Pretty sure the Pontiac Bonneville had it and guessing most other Buicks with the same powertrain (which was most of them in that era) also got it irrespective of platform. If you are looking for used ones, I'd not waste the time and effort (much less the money) to pull one. These are gas charged struts much like those used to hold up the hood or trunk lid. They loose their "juice" after so many years and so a used one will be shot if you could even remove it intact (has threaded rod on each end likely to break on removal from rust). They are cheap enough (ok, I know that is subjective) on epay so I'll stick to recommending that.

As to John's most amusing revelation, I have to quote Yosemite Sam here (overheard whilst giving Bugs Bunny an impromptu piano lesson): "no, no, no, yer doin' it all wrong!"

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"no, no, no, yer doin' it all wrong!"

Well... I tried using the other hand but the results were the same. :rolleyes:

And that's all I got to say about that.

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

All 3800 equipped E platform cars as far as I know through at least 1992, maybe 93 in some cases. Probably most if not all others 3800 engine equipped vehicles as well. I know the Riviera and Toronado had it. The Eldorado had a 4.5 or 4.9l V8 (year dependent) from 88-92 and I don't believe it had the vibration absorber. So it was apparently an item deemed neccessary for cars with the 3800.

Pretty sure the Pontiac Bonneville had it and guessing most other Buicks with the same powertrain (which was most of them in that era) also got it irrespective of platform. If you are looking for used ones, I'd not waste the time and effort (much less the money) to pull one. These are gas charged struts much like those used to hold up the hood or trunk lid. They loose their "juice" after so many years and so a used one will be shot if you could even remove it intact (has threaded rod on each end likely to break on removal from rust). They are cheap enough (ok, I know that is subjective) on epay so I'll stick to recommending that.

As to John's most amusing revelation, I have to quote Yosemite Sam here (overheard whilst giving Bugs Bunny an impromptu piano lesson): "no, no, no, yer doin' it all wrong!"

KDirk

So adding that strut wasn't really a Reatta specific addition,  it was a 3800 specific thing at the time. 

I'm guessing there's probably no noticeable difference felt with or without it?

tb3,

I'm guessing there's probably no noticeable difference felt with or without it?

You guessed correctly. But, as mentioned earlier, GM wouldn't have spent the time or money to include it in the production run.

If you have the opportunity to replace it with one in working condition, by all means do so.

John F.

It is hard to judge the benefit of this damper. First, the ones on the car now are likely original in most cases. Therefore they are worn out and so probably not doing much of anything but taking up space. Does the car feel like it suffers from this in any way? I can't say I notice any problems from it. But, I also don't know how the car felt when new, so have no frame of reference to say whether it makes a difference or not. I can only assume GM put these on for a reason. I can be sure that reason wasn't to waste a few dollars more (come on, this is GM we're talking about) so it must have some benefit.

Since a suitable substitute is readily available at low cost I favor putting one on if the old one has to be removed for other repair work, or if it is already missing. It certainly can't hurt.

KDirk

• Like 1

From reading the various threads on engine/tranny mounts, it seems that GM changed the design between '88 and '89 and that may have resulted in the transmission of unwanted vibrations that they solved with the dampener.  Just a guess as to why the '88 lacked the dampener.  Glad to hear that the MB dampener fits and appears to function on par with the OEM dampener as it will be on my list of things to swap out when I do the mounts.

And MBATR, which mount failing is most likely to be putting a lot of pressure on my 88 dogbone ? The 2943 ?

And MBATR, which mount failing is most likely to be putting a lot of pressure on my 88 dogbone ? The 2943 ?

I would think the 2693 mount failing would be the one putting the most stress/pressure on the dogbone. 

BTW for those with multiple Reattas, Advance Auto Parts has the Anchor 2943 for $53.99. Less 20% off (code NY51) through Jan 1, 2016 and free shipping if you order 2.