need help with 88 reata engine/trans mounts

Guest tb3

All 3800 equipped E platform cars as far as I know through at least 1992, maybe 93 in some cases. Probably most if not all others 3800 engine equipped vehicles as well. I know the Riviera and Toronado had it. The Eldorado had a 4.5 or 4.9l V8 (year dependent) from 88-92 and I don't believe it had the vibration absorber. So it was apparently an item deemed neccessary for cars with the 3800.

Pretty sure the Pontiac Bonneville had it and guessing most other Buicks with the same powertrain (which was most of them in that era) also got it irrespective of platform. If you are looking for used ones, I'd not waste the time and effort (much less the money) to pull one. These are gas charged struts much like those used to hold up the hood or trunk lid. They loose their "juice" after so many years and so a used one will be shot if you could even remove it intact (has threaded rod on each end likely to break on removal from rust). They are cheap enough (ok, I know that is subjective) on epay so I'll stick to recommending that.

As to John's most amusing revelation, I have to quote Yosemite Sam here (overheard whilst giving Bugs Bunny an impromptu piano lesson): "no, no, no, yer doin' it all wrong!"

KDirk

So adding that strut wasn't really a Reatta specific addition,  it was a 3800 specific thing at the time. 

I'm guessing there's probably no noticeable difference felt with or without it?

tb3,

I'm guessing there's probably no noticeable difference felt with or without it?

You guessed correctly. But, as mentioned earlier, GM wouldn't have spent the time or money to include it in the production run.

If you have the opportunity to replace it with one in working condition, by all means do so.

John F.

It is hard to judge the benefit of this damper. First, the ones on the car now are likely original in most cases. Therefore they are worn out and so probably not doing much of anything but taking up space. Does the car feel like it suffers from this in any way? I can't say I notice any problems from it. But, I also don't know how the car felt when new, so have no frame of reference to say whether it makes a difference or not. I can only assume GM put these on for a reason. I can be sure that reason wasn't to waste a few dollars more (come on, this is GM we're talking about) so it must have some benefit.

Since a suitable substitute is readily available at low cost I favor putting one on if the old one has to be removed for other repair work, or if it is already missing. It certainly can't hurt.

KDirk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From reading the various threads on engine/tranny mounts, it seems that GM changed the design between '88 and '89 and that may have resulted in the transmission of unwanted vibrations that they solved with the dampener.  Just a guess as to why the '88 lacked the dampener.  Glad to hear that the MB dampener fits and appears to function on par with the OEM dampener as it will be on my list of things to swap out when I do the mounts.

And MBATR, which mount failing is most likely to be putting a lot of pressure on my 88 dogbone ? The 2943 ?

I would think the 2693 mount failing would be the one putting the most stress/pressure on the dogbone.