New Ebay/paypal rant

auburnseeker

I sure am glad selling parts on ebay isn't my business, sounds like it would be to hard for me.

In my business I have seen my commission cut by 75% in the last 5 years. In the last 2 years my selling season cut from 12 months to 3 [unless the client has a "special" circumstance], increased/stiffling government regulation, out of control pricing.

My main competition is the government whose employees can sell around me, and these employees don't have to be licensed or insured, nor are they required to take continuing education courses.

I'll be 59 in December, so changing occupations no longer a viable option.

The plus we get a commission [reduced see above] every month the client pays their premium. The key is to have a large block of clients.

My business?

Health Insurance to the Self Employed... 

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

My mother used to say when I was having a BAD DAY,  "Dale, take a warm bath, put on some clean clothes, and YOU will feel a lot better",  well, time to quit the rant, and DEAL WITH IT, be a smarter seller. 

Dale in Indy

Nobody said you had to read the rant.

A bad day is one thing.  We are pushing 2 months of bad days in sales.  Eventually you get a bit bummed out and wonder what your next step is.  Especially when you have curtailed your entire business and inventory around it. (I also have no new prospects on inventory purchases for the winter) Compound to that a house and a shop that won't sell (even though we have tried different approaches to selling them and even dropped the price to what will soon be tempting for a flipper to pick them up, and my wife having been snookered into a 1 year contract with an unscrupulous realtor that hasn't been able to sell it either, with a whole new winter just around the bend will leave one a bit tense when the boss man comes along with new improvements that always seem to be more problematic than beneficial and cost the seller in the end.

Please don't tell me to suck it up until you have sold 4000 or more items a year and done it primarily by yourself without employees.  Then you will see where one comes from.  Hobby selling is one thing.  Making it your primary income and having weeks of bad sales with items that used to sell for 30.00-100.00 now struggling to sell for 9.99 or less really gets one to ranting with just cause.

• Like 1

As far as the ebay thing my biggest complaint would be trying to find listings for original parts instead of looking through a 1000 ads for mats, covers, knobs etc .   I have never really minded the fees because I always felt that without ebay I would never have been able to reach such a large audience and probably would have sold at  lower prices.  It does sound as if there is some complaining that really isnt ebays fault thoiugh, would you have sold 4000 items without ebay ? Would the prices have been as high ? Parts are not bringing what they were years ago, thats not ebay thats the nature of the business. Cant find parts collections to buy for inventory, no kidding there is not an endless supply, they are not being made any more. Ebay didnt hire you for a job you chose to make it your job. I am sure there are people selling a ton of stuff on ebay maybe you need to change what you sell. Markets change and people that sell thing need to change with the market or they will soon be out of business. I dont mean any disrespect but it is getting a little whinny sounding.

Not being in your position it would be easy for me to say suck it up and I certainly won't. You are caught up in a changing world and downward spiraling economy. Though it is not your fault you are caught in it and must adapt to the changes. I wish I had a magic bullet for you and others  but to survive you must adapt and play the cards you are dealt. It truly is survival of the fittest............Bob

There is alwys someone making money on ebay, it might not be in car parts but there are millions upon millions of sales on ebay every day. Its like the stock market even when its down 1000 points and my 401 is taking a beating you can bet your aston martin someone is making money.

Wayne,

I agree with you as well.

If someone is "kicking butt" on ebay in this day and age, I have to wonder if someone didnt step in Bull sh-t............................!

Well, in the last 30 days my selling page shows $1371.46 in sales. How'd you do?

Well, in the last 30 days my selling page shows $1371.46 in sales. How'd you do?

How many items are you selling to make 1371.46?

That will put it in perspective.  

I sold  $4,709.52 in the last 31 days. That was for 400 items(odd it was such an even number).  I listed probably closer to 500 but many which had multiple bids before and I had similar of never even got bids

this time through.  

That sounds high even for me as looking at the total sales for each night there were quite a few nights I barely broke 100.00.  

To the untrained seller that doesn't sound bad.  the problem is you have to figure in what was paid for what you sold,  fees from what you sold. etc.  

So in other words,  that's gross sales.  Net is the number that matters.  I know in that total were several items that normally sold for 30 or more and they sold for less than 10.

There were also several items that never sold,  when pretty much 95 percent or more was selling first time through.  The rest usually sold on a relist.  I price the stuff to do that 

to keep the inventory fresh. 

For me to be kicking butt on ebay, my fees usually total your sales. On my best night,  I sold 2500.00 in parts and literature and that was less than 20 items,

If you are selling 20 items or so in your spare time and doing 1300 then I would say that's good.

It's all in what you are selling.

Really kicking butt on ebay would be when you list an item you hope is going to sell for atleast 10.00 if at all and you check the sold page and it says 500.00 or more for the item.   

It's all perspective.

How many items are you selling to make 1371.46?

That will put it in perspective.  

Only 14 items. Since I had less than $150 in those 14 items, I'd say that is a decent profit. For a small timer with just over 500 sales, I'd say that IS kicking butt. I still have 20 or so auctions yet to pop, and hold high hopes for them.

You are doing well, indeed - but is your profit approaching 800%? I guess it's all relative.

My point in this thread is.... if you don't like eBay, then don't sell there. I like it, and am doing my best to master it. Besides, it keeps me out of the crack houses. :o

The problem with stellar stuff is you run out eventually or if multiples the top guys got theirs and the rest are bargain shopping.  If I had to walk through my shop and pull 15 items worth 100.00  I could do that.  Many of which I have not alot in,  but to do that week after week after week,  we are going on 7 years,  gets pretty darn hard.  When you burn through 4000 items or more a year it's hard to keep in new fresh valuable stuff unless you are hitting the pavement pretty hard and networking quite a bit.  Then you don't have time to get everything ready,  listed and shipped.   I would much rather do it part time than full time and only sell the really good stuff,  but that's not an option at this point.

Hopefully the used parts do good.  I started with used stuff and did just the right car at the right time.  Since, it seems like people have gotten extremely fussy about condition and used just doesn't cut it.  The only real bonus is you don't have to ID it,  being you are taking it off the car yourself.  That's the problem with NOS.  Lots of random parts that could fit anything.  You just have to determine what that is which is hours of research in some cases and more often than you think,  a new part to add to the mystery box. 

Auburnseeker ....... If it's not against posting rules, why not let everyone here know your EBay ID. Many of us are buyers / restorers and would rather buy from you than some unknown cowboy. Just a thought !.

Giving one's Ebay name wouldn't be against posting rules.

Many people link from the forum to Ebay listings, for instance,

where the Ebay name is clearly identifiied.

Yes, Auburn Seeker--you may develop a following from Forum friends!

I've posted in the For sale section with links a few times.  Most currently there is one for a bunch of Ford dealer literature.  Alot of it 1957-1967 era Is salesman only confidential stuff.  The stuff that usually got thrown away.  I even have the salesman's mail from ford with all the Salesman promotional contests and special introductions for salesmen to the new models as well as the usual Brochures and some color and upholstery books.  Of course I also run alot of parts through as well. 

My seller ID is randyshotrods  and here is a link to a current listing.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1953-1954-Pontiac-Accessory-Front-bumper-wing-tips-New-Old-Stock-Original-/311444780986?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

On the literature, shipping may seem high, but if you add a few items together and request a total it really becomes reasonable fast.  It's the cost of the secure mailer that bumps it up. (I can always toss it in a manila envelope and hope for the best but there is a much higher chance of Damage in shipping)

Guys buying 8 or 9 pieces usually see shipping under 10.00.  It's all based on weight.  All the heavy manuals are based on media so it doesn't get any cheaper.  I try to use first class on the smaller light parts.  Again the cheapest way possible and for international bidders I ship and handle the customs forms myself so you will always get the best rate to your country.  No middle man or ebay processing center. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I just looked at an Ebay search notification. I wanted to see if I could find a few yards of my 1960 Buick Electra blue cloth. It was for an Native American Indian blanket. I had a boss who liked to accurately distinguish between ignorant and stupid. This fits both.

Not only that, for the next three days it will show up as a new listing.

Ebay will draw and quarter a seller for offending what they call "the user experience" while they disgust and alienate buyers, at least me, with these stupid displays of ignorance. John Donahoe, where do you display your feedback?

Bernie

Hot Rods! There's gonna be some committee members whom will want to talk with you at Hershey.

6005307405_904ac682ce.jpg  You know, some will stereotype hot rodders.  Bernie

You have to remember there are different types of hot rodders.  I used to be really big into hot rods.  Vintage hot rods that is that looked like they rolled out of those little magazines from the 1940's through about the late 1950's.  Many were actually vintage race cars,  just like I saw at hershey.  The original goal of alot of those guys was to build a sleek stylish car much like a Cord, Auburn, or Duesenberg.  Many emulated Indy cars and other race cars of the day.  some were incredibly well built and detailed.  Probably nicer than some of the full classics. Those were the cars called hot rods.  Those are the ones I considered to be true hot rods.  Now with the whole rat/junk rod craze I have seen so many cars ruined that I hate to see any mods on an old car.  I am a stickler now with every car I buy that it has to be stock.  Interior , Body, mechanics.  I've just seen too many hack jobs and lost all desire to even look at a hot rod much less want it. 

My seller ID is one I made up at the time as a buyer because that's what interested me and people knew I had hot rods.  Vintage ones.  One's an old extremely well built and detailed 27 T roadster on Deuce rails with more finishing touches than you would expect a former record holding drag car to have.  It still sports it's 1958 Paint job.  I even have the original cheater slicks.  The other a 32 Cabriolet I built from a shell and finsihed nice enough that it was featured in a leading magazine when I finished it. (again looks like it was built the same year as the roadster or earlier.   Not bad for a 25 year old. 

I always liked originals but now have a thorough appreciation for them.  I'm even in the process of converting my 36 Cord from a hot rod with a Cadillac back to a bone stock Front wheel drive Phaeton. 

• Like 1

I have a friend in Indy that spends hours each week at his local salvage yard purchasing parts to sell on eBay. He echoes the sentiment that it has gotten very difficult lately. He's still buying but is running out of storage because many of his go-to items aren't selling like they used to. For example he used to sell 3rd row Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban seats as fast as he could get them for more than double what he was paying. Now he still gets them cheap but the market is very soft online. Those seats and certain instrument clusters are/have always been his bread and butter. This is a second job for him.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Since paypal is no longer owned by e bay, is there any chance they'll let sellers go back to the old way of accepting checks & money orders if they want to? When I started on e bay 10 - 12 years ago, I remember a lot of sellers even used to say "no paypal."  Then e bay bought paypal & forced everyone to use it, all while increasing the paypal fees.  I never had a problem sending or accepting payments in the mail, and thus avoiding the fees.         

• Like 1

Then e bay bought paypal & forced everyone to use it, all while increasing the paypal fees.         

Then either by being mandatory or voluntarily, vendors needed to be paid by Paypal only.  Since then, I have not bought one thing from the auction.  I never have had Paypal and have no plans to ever get it.

Any idea what the big guy has a baseball cap that is about 30+ years newer that the wardrobes of his pals? Bob 6005307405_904ac682ce.jpg

Probably a slight goof by the guy that put it all together.  Like when you see a new Movie set in the old days ,  say 1956 and you see a 1959 Caddy drive by.  Oops.  

I know we have all seen that at one point or another.  Some are terrible for it. The director or guy in charge of the props wasn't concerned with authenticity.

I figured the big guy had a disassembled 3100 Series Chevy grain truck he was restoring. Three are definitely Model T Ford owners. I'm sure the guy on the right is still driving the mid-'50's Ford he had in high school. The guy on the right probably also has his baler set up to bind 150 pound bales. Those are the guys who are NOT hot rodders.

If you've been in the hobby for a while you know them.

Bernie

As a buyer I find paypall great. I am in Canada but make 99% of my purchases either from the US or Europe/ England. Sure there is a cost but Much less than other forms of International payment.  And so far not one security or fraud related problem.  It's fast , and provides a lot more peace of mind than mailing cash. Which is something I used to do quite a bit on $100.00 or less purchases in pre paypall days to avoid steep bank fees.

Someday I expect to be selling off some of my excess and no doubt will find paypall pricy but even then I expect it will be faster and cost competitive compared to the bank method.

Greg in Canada

I've had good (or, at least 'better-than-eBay') results target-marketing on specific websites   If you've found a good place online to list your items for free, why not share them here?  I'll start the ball rolling with these:

moparts.com

classicoldsmobile.com

forwardlook.net (1955-61 Mopar)

crownvic.net

stationwagonforums.com

I'm especially interested in good places to list automotive paper like sales literature and service manuals.   Very tough to sell, based on my experience.

Harold