Buick Garages...Collectibles... - Any interest?

MrEarl

The recent Bugle articles of members garages and some of you all mentioning your memorabilia collections here makes me wonder if a sub-forum for such would be good to have here. Someone recently emailed me pictures of their 54-5-6 Buicks in their garage and I was impressed. I mean after all what good is having a nice garage and collections of memorabilia if you never have a chance to show them off. It would be sort of a show and tell kind of thing. I have a 1954 Buick Headquarters room in the house and  am currently building what I call the 1930 Buick Sales and Service Garage I'd like to show and tell about. I know of others who have nice collections also.

It would be a single sub-forum for both, garages and collectibles. Would like to hear your input to gauge interest before I ask Peter G to add it as I know he doesn't like seldom used sub-forums.

• Like 1

Seems like a good idea to me. Especially as I grow older and my current medical situation, it is a bit dificlt to play with resal cars so models and paper draw more interest.

John

along the same lines John, I stay busy building the garage these days and seldom play with the cars but would love to post my progress on the garage build. (if not too worn out every night)

• Like 1

I had a "Buick room " with lots of memorabilia in it, but it is now empty!!! I told all my Kids and grandkids to take whatever they wanted. 

I also got rid of all my Buick literature, I wanted to make sure that the people that wanted it got it , and it went to people that appreciated what it was. 

Even the bookcases and the filing cabinets are GONE 

• Like 1

I think it is a great idea to have a site that would contain the memoribelia, collectables, and crafts that many here have.

Remember Dale in Indianapolis... he made a wooden model of the GM Autorama truck/van,  he also made the walnut steam locomotive, that type of thing belongs here.

It could also be a location for ideas for special tools,  storage, and display of all our junk.

Here are some shop ideas recently found in some magazine.

The picture with the half moon shapes...those are pie tins cut in half and used to organize circular saw blades, sandpaper, etc

post-76006-0-33981900-1441563367_thumb.j

post-76006-0-96715600-1441563367_thumb.j

post-76006-0-38055100-1441563378.jpg

post-76006-0-85394000-1441563378.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest my3buicks

lot's of times neat and rare Buick items that people have bought or seen on ebay are posted to the forum - this may be a good area to post such things so that in the future someone finding a similar item may have some reference.  For instance, even the Buick technician coat I put on the forum last week

Guest my3buicks

It's just not about garages, it's about a place to post and talk about vintage Buick memorabilia and artifacts. Some of us collect that type of thing along side or in addition to the cars.

Edited by MrEarl
Remove snide and unecessary remark (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

As mentioned above, the garage should "work".  Whether it's about a comfortable place to store/work on your car(s) and other household projects or "for show" (i.e., "garagemahal") can be more about personal orientations.  Many orientations can also relate to whether it's detached from the main residence, attached to the main residence, or "off site" in a more commercial-type location (but used for personal/private uses).

Finding the best-combination of comfortable-ness (hvac items, concrete floor, roof integrity, "facilities", etc.), nice-ness (so that others also feel comfortable in "visiting to help", "tool-enabled", among other things (including, but not limited to "electricity"!) can be more of a regional and/or personal "thing" . . . which can be highly variable.  BUT it still needs to be a good "toy box", no matter what.

NTX5467

• Like 1

Isn't there a garage thing in the AACA? I thought I posted a long time ago when I still frequented the "up-above" forums.

Mikey, I would look forward to seeing your "working" garage. And this way you wouldn't have to go "upstairs" to share with us.

I would not contribute or go to the forum.  Garages are supposed to be functional, not pretty.  The cars like are driven, not displayed as toys.

Darn, I hate to hear that Willie. I'm sure a lot of folks here would be interested in seeing Willies pit, I know I found it interesting when I visited. And I agree re your comment about function, but I don't recall saying anything about them having to be pretty. What I think would be great is if people share their garage layouts, work benches kinds of lifts etc etc. I guess garages are sorta like wives, GOT to be functional but kinda nice if they are pretty too. 

• 1 month later...