Old Buick magazine ads

petelempert

I've got some old Buick magazine ads that I think should be dispersed among the Buick faithful. A buddy of mine recently gave me a giant box of magazine ads from the 50/60/70's era. When he was a kid, he would tear out pretty much any car ads he liked and stashed them away. Some are really cool and some are plain ridiculous. I kept a few first gen Riv ads and all of the wide track Pontiac stuff. If you guys remember, the illustration style of the Pontiac stuff in the 60's was very sexy. Anyway, I have a few 63-5 Riv ads, a few 67-69 Riv ads and some other "big Buick" Wildcat ads. I don't want them. Some of them are in better shape than others. Remember, these were casually torn out by a young boy and crammed in a box almost 50 years ago. Some have been dog eared or torn along the seam carelessly, but most are good enough to hang up for your shop. They are in large format (Life) small (National Geographic) and everything in between. PM me if you are interested. First come, first served. Thx PRL

Bodaguy-I've got a Life Magazine sized version of that one too. It's cool. There is a 63 silver cloud poly side view spread ad that I found years ago that actually inspired me to re-color my car. I'm in the advertising/marketing business, so I too have a real weakness for great art direction, graphic design, photography and illustration. Some of the 60's ads were absolutely fantastic, most notably the Pontiac work and some of the high end Chrysler work was strong too. When you comb through a bunch of work from that era, it really shows who had their act together and those who were just flailing around or copying others. PRL

Hi PRL,

Since you mention Pontiac (and that's not a bad thing, being a former owner of a '67 GTO) I'm sure you noticed the Pontiac version of the first-gen Riv at the ROA meet, as pictured in the latest Riview. It looked like a well done conversion. I'm also sure you know about Fitzpatrick and Kaufman's outstanding work in the 1960s. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/01/those-amazing-psychedelic-pontiac-ads-by-fitzpatrick-and-kaufman/Longer, lower, wider(track).

Rivved-Saw the Ponti-Riv picture. It's a beautiful car, but I couldn't get my head around the multi marque thing. Regarding the F&K illustration work, it is outstanding. Of the box of old print ads mentioned above, I collected about 25 ads which feature the F&K design work. It's is all so swanky, 60's cool. The Pontiac cars look like they are 15 feet wide and the scenarios are both awesome and ridiculous. I love seeing a 4 door Pontiac parked on the Rue de Rivoli which the owners carelessly smoke cigs and glance at their Michelin maps. It's magical 60's. PRL

• 4 years later...

This isn't an advertisement as much as it is about Dan Cochran Motor Sales (then) new expansion of their showroom building at 120 Main Street in Coshocton, Ohio in early 1968.

Accompanying a half page newspaper article in "The Tribune" on May 12th, 1968 was a picture of Mr. Cochran standing next to a brand new 1968 Riviera.

Dan Cochran Motor Sales was a Buick, Cadillac and AMC dealership in Coshocton, Ohio. He passed away on Tuesday, July 24, 2018.

1008610833_68-Riviera-TheTribune-May-12-1968-article.JPG.097333ba63ff7d33424a0607d6deb2d9.JPG

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)