My new infatuation, a '69 Electra

Buicknutty

Thanks, Sebastian!

All the bits are now hooked up and it is running decent, smooth but with a bit, hesitation, though I haven't set up the carb yet. I rebuilt it while I was waiting for other parts to come in. Now to put the seats back in and take it for a drive. The issues with the engine overshadowed all else for the last couple of weeks, but I had pulled the front seats and took them to a local shop that has a good reputation, they are so busy that it is tough to get in line. Those folks that have been following list thread from last year may remember that the driver's side of the 40/60 from had been recovered in fabric that was close to the original, but not the same, and also lost the seat retaining buttons, and they didn't put the right padding in either! With all the time it takes to take the seat cover off, and apart they did such a poor job.

So, I was able to source the correct material late last year, and was able to get them into the upholstery shop a few weeks ago, and I got the them back a few days ago and they look perfect. Just the fabric has been changed, the vinyl is still original.

Extra thanks to John for finding the seat buttons for me, and the shop recovered them in vinyl that almost a perfect match to the original.

Now for the test drive!

Wish me luck guys, and ladies).

Keith

• Like 2

Well, the test drive was reasonably successful, it idles great, but bogs badly off of idle, once it gets a few revs, it goes great, then bogs out at high revs. Also, I've gone from too much detonation, to none at all, and I'm a few degrees advanced. That's another difference, before the teardown the timing was way too far advanced, and would not run at all set where it is supposed to be. I have replaced the old after market electronic unit with a different used distributor and conventional points.

I'm wondering if the vacuumn advance on this one is not working, and that could explain the bog right off of idle.

Otherwise it is looking good.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Running virtually perfect now, changed to a different spring in the accelerator pump. Actually it was more complicated than that. When I first took the top off and the pump out, the rubber cup was missing. It had become detached and was stuck in the bottom of the well in the body of the carb. A very lovely lady I know, who has a Wildcat and rebuilt carb, let me steal the accel pump from it for the Electra, and I first had the wrong spring in, and it was better, but still not right, so I put a longer spring, and now it seems to be good.

Keith

• Like 2

Well, we took the Electra to an out of town cruise, about a half hour drive from home. All was well till we were there for a little while, we heard whoosh, then and a huge puddle of coolant spread from underneath the car and down the parking lot.

Turned out the lower rad hose blew off of the end of the timing chain cover. A piece is missing off of it, but it has never done this before. Fortunately there was a store still open and we bought a couple of cases of water and towels and kitty litter to clean up the huge mess it made.

The picture shows my wife and son and daughter cleaning up after it. You can see the empty water bottles on the top of the rad shroud area. It took about 20 bottles to refill it.

Maybe its' trying to tell me it doesn't want to go to Allentown.

A bit discouraging and all.

Keith.

ElectraBlowSml.jpg

I just think it is helping you to find the issues that could cause it not to make it to Allentown.  Better this all happens at home, than on the road. 

BTW, have you decided a route and what day you are traveling?

John, of course it is way better there in the parking lot than halfway down the Penn Turnpike or something. Just the other day I used it as the "company car" and was out on a major highway, near were the '41 let me down yesterday actually, with the A/C blowing cold to pick up some stock for my business, just to put a few miles of it.

The travel day is Wed, and we have our route to cross at Niagara, then across and down the Turnpike. I can't remember the exact highways, but I driven most of them before.

See you there, even if I'm driving the Rendezvous!

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a another question. At the advice of a mechanic friend, who said that the original fan clutch was worn, and not working right, I bought a new one and installed it. It then seemed to make the fan run too noisy at highway speeds for a while till it gets hot, but this is long after the engine has got up to operating temp. So, I have the old one back on again.

Has anyone run into this issue as well? I am not sure whether to put the new clutch back on again, or not. It would seem to me that it should not have audible noise, as this is top line luxury car.

Also, it seems like the hot weather has subsided, so cooling is not as critical. The 200+ miles I did on the weekend, it ran great, and did not run above 180 no matter what.

Thanks to all, as always!

Keith

11 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I have a another question. At the advice of a mechanic friend, who said that the original fan clutch was worn, and not working right, I bought a new one and installed it. It then seemed to make the fan run too noisy at highway speeds for a while till it gets hot, but this is long after the engine has got up to operating temp. So, I have the old one back on again.

Has anyone run into this issue as well? I am not sure whether to put the new clutch back on again, or not. It would seem to me that it should not have audible noise, as this is top line luxury car.

Also, it seems like the hot weather has subsided, so cooling is not as critical. The 200+ miles I did on the weekend, it ran great, and did not run above 180 no matter what.

Thanks to all, as always!

Keith

Keith, I had the same problem on my 76 Olds.  The fan roared all the time after a replacement with a Hayden brand fan clutch (tried 2)...I cannot remember if it was labeled as 'heavy duty'.  I replaced with a ACDELCO clutch and it functions as expected.

Willie

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. There was a shim supplied to go into the water pump shaft, so it would seem that this is a more "generic" version made to cover a variety of applications. I will look into a Delco unit.

Sebastian, I am not entirely sure I understand you, do you mean to run the fan directly connected to the water pump, like an older car is? When the clutch is working properly it is very effective, but they do wear out over time so sometimes they need to be replaced.

Keith

A factory Air Conditioned car would be built with the 5 blade fan and the fan clutch.  A non factory A/C car would be built with the 4 blade fan and no clutch.  There may be an exception for a vehicle destined for the hotter climates in the southern USA.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Its' been quite a while since I've posted anything about my car, but I have a question now. Are the gas tank units on the '69 Electra the same as on a '68 full size Wildcat or Electra?

I believe that it is, but I do not have a parts book.

Thanks, folks.

Keith

Keith, The 1983 parts book does not list a gas tank for the 68 or 69 full size cars.  But it does list the "gage" which appears to be the pickup unit.  Unfortunately the 67-68 gage ( Part # 6427509) is different than the 69.  69 and 70 ( part # 6428404)  are interchangeable.

Thanks, John. I suspected as much, but nice to know for sure! It's not too a big a deal, until you run out of gas somewhere dangerous, or inconvenient. So it would be nice to change it before heading out to the national in a few weeks.

Keith

• Like 1

My Electra has 4 guage, and I pulled 4 guage off the GS too.  But the new cable from Year One for the GS appeared thicker.  It is also a spring ring connector.  But it wasn't cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

We drove the car to the BCA National in Wisconsin, and it ran great the whole trip. I lost some of my mileages, but the total was something like 1600 miles or so, and 15-17 MPG US highway gas mileage, which was pretty decent. The only problem was the rebuilt A/C compressor became noisy, and then started losing oil, so no A/C, but otherwise it was a great trip. Plus it won an award in the archival/unrestored class.

However (isn't there always!) a small fly, a couple of days after we got back I had it out to a couple of local cruise nights, it was running a bit rough, and chugging on acceleration. Upon investigation one cylinder ( no. 1) wasn't firing properly, as I put my timing light on it and no light. Trying all the other ones, it fires normally. So I tried swapping a wire, and still the same, and then I checked under the cap, rotor and cap terminals are very good too. The only issue is the shaft has more wobble to it than I recall when I put it back together last year. So I changed the cap anyway.

Restarting the car, it is exactly the same as before, not enough spark to fire the light, but it seems to have a bit, as it doesn't idle quite as bad a completely dead cylinder.

Also, I have a Pertronix installed, which I put in about a year ago.

So guys, any ideas? I wonder about the Pertronix, could it start to fail in such a way to fire poorly on one cylinder consistently?

Thanks.

Keith

I checked the plug and the compression, as I thought something might of gone wrong there, but it was nearly 160 lbs, which is about right. The plug is good too, gap is right, and not fouled, the ceramic seems alright.

Also, I had the vacuum gauge on it and it pulls a rock steady 19 in., which makes me think that there is no leakage.

I agree, Ben, that this an unlikely symptom of a failing electronic unit, but I do not know what is typical for these units when they fail. I had one in my '56, and it lasted about 8 years, and it ran rough, but not quite the same as the Electra is doing.

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I do not know what is typical for these units when they fail

Leaving you stranded at work the first time and at school the second time, both in the winter in 32 degree weather is pretty common for me... If/When it goes, just make sure to have a spare set of points to get going, because you will need a tow truck.

Did you verify the spark plug is firing by grounding the electrode somewhere like the fender or valve cover and turning over the engine? You can check the wire with a multimeter to see if it's shorted out. Usually, any wire will have some type of resistance, but if the meter reads infinity or something that's not a number, then it's broken. Likewise, just because the plug looks good, does not mean it was made correctly. It could just be a bad plug out of the box.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

The only issue is the shaft has more wobble to it than I recall when I put it back together last year. So I changed the cap anyway.

Keith, are you saying the distributor shaft has wobble?  Is this the same distributor with the broken gear?  If so, I recommend you get that out of the engine pronto.  Perhaps the wobble was the root cause of the gear melt down to begin with?  Do you have another distributor?