My new infatuation, a '69 Electra

So guys, here's my next question, this car has a posi rear axle, so what are the ratios that were used in posi's on a '69 Electra? I was doing some surfing, but could not find out this info. As always, I found out other stuff.

I'm hoping to get the time to go out later in the week to take another look at it.

Keith

Thanks, John. A 2.78 would suit me fine, if that's what it is, I'll try and check. I was wondering if they used something like 3.73's, or something like that. Nice for pealing rubber, but economy would be even worse than ever. I have heard stories of 18-20 mpg, but I'm thinking that's a bit unrealistic, on a large car, with a large engine. But one doesn't buy cars like this for their fuel economy anyway.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I am hoping to go out and see it again tomorrow, (Fri.) and armed with all this info, I'll see how it goes.

Keith

Well guys, I went out and looked at it again, and drove it. THEN I BOUGHT IT!!!!

It is now being safetied, to meet Ontario regs for licensed motor vehicles, so I'm not sure when I'm going to pick it up.

Anyway, I wanted to pass on my good news, though I confess, it is a bit scary, in a weird way. I will post some more pictures and give you more info later. I'm still in the midst of a busy day, though its' kind of hard to concentrate right now.

Keith

• Like 1

A few more things to add to my previous post. There were some few issues with the car that surfaced during the test drive, the brakes pulled badly to the left, but they were smooth, even at quite high speed so it would seem that the rotors are good, the steering pulled to the left, just a bit, could be a tire issue, if its' front end, the guy will fix it.

Either way I will put new tires on it soon, I think that it should pass the safety with the ones that are on it, but I did not get under and check them out throughly, so we'll see how that goes. It started well, and drove well, good acceleration, the trans shifted well hot and cold, fluild looked good too, as did the coolant, and engine oil.

Rode like a dream. I really sifted it through the last corner on the way back, and it cornered surprisingly well for a large luxury car. Rear shocks feel nice and firm, fronts feel a bit weak, and again, I'll look into that when I get it to my place.

All the heat and AC controls worked fine, only no cool air, so likely a refrigeration issue.

When I got back to the shop, I looked under the hood, and there was a coolant leak at a valve on top of the intake manifold, so the guy selling the car pokes it, and stream of antifreeze shoots out! That will be fixed as well before I take delivery. The seller operates a vintage truck parts and repair business, mainly Chevies and GMC's, plus a few Ford's for good luck I guess, so he is mechanic, but he will not be writng the safety on it, another shop will.

Also, some one before him has added an electronic ignition to it, and things like the coolant overfolw tank, and the washer tank look rather bad.

A question, what tires are you folks running on these cars? As I can find out, the original size is 8.85-15's, which are about 28.5" in dia., and would be close to a modern 235 (or 245) 75/15. Most sizes like this are truck sizes, and I'd rather not have to go to a vintage tire supplier to get tires for it. The whitewall would be a narrow one, but with the black top and yellow paint, straight blackwalls should look nice too.

The seller did not know what the rear end ratio is, except that it is a posi, so its' likely a 2.78 posi, but I did not crawl under to see, I will find out for sure later. It is what it is.

Here are a few more pictures of the ugly bits of my new ride. It needs a serious clean up and TLC, I think, with a few repairs. The worst, I think, is the driver's door pull. It may be fixable by taking the panel off and reattaching the handle with new screws.

Here are a bunch more pictures of it. Does another know what the black plastic gadget, mounted on the firewall, size of a softball, but flattened. Plus a nice close up of the radio for Sebastien.

post-119367-0-40114100-1442008257_thumb.post-119367-0-47686000-1442008277_thumb.post-119367-0-70245300-1442008436_thumb.post-119367-0-77614800-1442008459_thumb.post-119367-0-82534000-1442008482_thumb.post-119367-0-52368200-1442008500_thumb.post-119367-0-71644400-1442008538_thumb.post-119367-0-34395600-1442008555_thumb.post-119367-0-40343100-1442008571_thumb.post-119367-0-60642100-1442008592_thumb.post-119367-0-35124800-1442008615_thumb.post-119367-0-54683200-1442008733_thumb.

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

That is odd. Does it have a tilt steering wheel?

As for that door handle when I had mine I used a small flat head screwdriver to drill the cardboard backing then just had to tighten the captured phillips head screws.

It does have a tilt wheel. I will have to look into that door handle as well, thanks for the tip. Also, longer term, ie. next year I will look into getting the AC working, and I will also check the timing chain for slack, like you did on yours. Don't need to skip a few teeth at high speed sometime.

Keith

You know what, there are so many big cars coming out of hibernation lately, some of the guys here in Albany were thinking of starting a new Club, The Yacht club!  Care for an application?!?! :lol:  :lol:  :D

You can see the white rectangular vacuum block I mentioned in a previous post right under that vacuum tank you asked about.  Yours looks to be in good shape.

Also I notice the A/C compressor has the larger pulley.  That may indicate a performance rear axle.  The GS's had that larger pulley.  Does the car have dual exhaust?

And I saw the tell tale bundle of vacuum lines, do you have power door locks? 

• Like 1

PS: Just noticed that the heater control valve is a generic one.  The right one for that system has another set of vacuum lines on it for a total of three lines.  The one opens the valve when you ask for heat.  The other two are a pass through switch.  When the coolant heats up in the switch then the vacuum passage opens and allows the heater to be turned on.  This prevents turning the heater on before the car is warmed up.  I may have one of those hetaer control valves left over, but will really have to search and can't guarantee it.

John, Thank you, so that isn't the original. I wondered what its' purpose was for. The seller said he would replace it, as he said that he has them, but it will then likely be the same as is what's on it now. For now, that will do, but if you do find the correct one, let me know and we can make a deal on it.

Brian, thank you for the info. I remember seeing the vacumn canister that worked the cruise unit on cars later on in the 70's. I do wish that it had it, but otherwise it seems to be a nicely optioned car. Hopefully, I can deal with the few issues that it has, and then do a bit driving before the snow starts flying up here.

I will be starting to buy some literature for the '69 soon, but in the meantime, I appreciate the input.

We've gone from temps around 90 F, at the beginning of the week, to the mid fifties and rainy today.

Keith

I have been given a brochure for '69 Buicks, a large book, almost with all of the models in it. Reading through it, I did not see any mention of cruise control, so perhaps it was not available on a Buick in 1969? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Keith

Thanks, John. The 235-75-15's are what the tire shop suggests as being closest to the original dia, as they had some cross referencing info, that gave a thorough listing of the old style, to the apha numeric, used in the 70's, to the sizing we use today. So, I'm going for the 235's.

Keith

Sebastien;

You would need to find a parts car, or buy a system that has been taken off of a another car. There are/were some more generic systetms, sold aftermarket that were designed to fit a variety of cars with slight changes. Not so authentic, but would give you A/C, when working. Adding A/C could get quite costly, between buying all the system's components, and then having them installed and any repairs that would be nec. The compressors are not hard to get, or too costly, as GM used that compressor type for many years, but it is everything else you will need that can add up to lots of money.

Try placing an add in the Buy and Sell section here on the forum. There might be someone here with all the parts you need.

Keith

So I had another look at the soon to be mine '69 Electra today, as I took tires out to the shop, and then the windshield washers need to be repaired, and I can pick it up. After talking to a few tire shops, a young guy at a local shop was unfazed by the request for tires for a 45+ year old car. So he got Hankooks in 235-75-15, as the size that is the closest to the original, with a narrow whitewall, very similar to what it would of had in the '60's. Should look nice on it!

Tomorrow we're off on another weekend car club tour in the '41 Roadmaster, and Monday I have to attend to my business, so likely it will be Tues that I will get to pick it up!

Wow! I think that I'll be like a kid the night before Christmas on Monday!

Of course I'll let you know when I get it.

Keith

• Like 1

Keith,

See you posted being on tour and guessing you will be stopping in at my Car Clubs Museum and Village operation known as The Canadian Transportation Museum and Heritage Village sometime around noon.

Hope to be there and meet you today, even if it will be a wet visit! ;)