Generator Drive End Plate

Dan O

I was replacing my rebuilt generator today and noticed the drive end plate was misalligned and then I saw it was cracked!  the crack is close to the body of the generator and not in the "ears" area.  I did not disassemble it as it's going back to the shop that worked it over first but it appears to go about a half inch into the plate.

Are these available anywhere?  I've seen some NOS for $50 (ouch).  I guess I could get a junker somewhere.  Could it be repaired?  Anyone ever try and have success?

End plates are aluminum. You can try TIG welding but TIG just HATES dirty so the crack would have to be cleaned out then welded. Re-machining

would most likely be required to get proper fit in the case and there is the specter of warpage. Could it be repaired? Probably. Cost effectively? Probably not unless you can do it yourself...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...

I did finally find a pot metal drive end plate for my 1949 Buick Roadmaster and an armature, etc, to get it back together.  There is an oil filler cup that needed to be replaced which I am going to be doing.  I see some with a wick on them which seems logical and about the right length to fill the oil passage in my old one.  The one pictured below is from a delco-remy generator for a FarmAll tractor.  Anyone know if this was used on Buicks?  It seems like a good idea to employ a wick to feed oil to the bearings as needed rather than in a gush.  Ideas?

$_57.JPG

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

This is not Buick specific, but the oil wick was nomally used if the bearing was the cintered brass type

When the bearings (bushes) are replaced, you fill them with oil and then pressurise it to force the oil through the sufaces of the bush to lubricate it (The other way is to just put it in a tub of oil and leave it for a week)

Most of the time, the wicks themselves are not attached to anything and just sit in the tubes (these are cleaned and soaked in an oil tub as well during rebuild, when I did them anyway)

If its all done right and a few drops of oil are added every so often (and hercules hasnt adjusted the belt) it will last for years

All oil tubes like that (in my experience) should have a wick in them

pretty much anything will work, but the felt shouldnt be hard to find (or a boot lace will work)

Mick