Removing 1937 D5 Business Coupe door panel & knobs.

Guest cunninmp

Guest cunninmp

Hi everyone,

First off I'm new to this forum. My wife and I have a 1937 Dodge Business Coupe we inherited from her Dad.

On the drivers side, the window is intact in the down position. The problem is the knob just turns freely.

How do you remove the knobs and the inside door panel to get at the problem?

I'm not sure if there are splines that are stripped, or if the knobs are pinned.

Thanks in advance,

Mike & Patti C.

Groveland, CA

Hi Mike,

I believe yours should be similar to mine.

Push on the escutcheon that the handle sits against as these have a spring in them. This will then reveal the base of the handle where you should see a pin that goes through the handle that locks it onto the pin that goes into the winding mechanism. Using a tiny punch tap the pin out and the handle, escutcheon and escutcheon spring should come off. Repeat this for the dorm lock handle, remove the door cover panel and remove screws holding the winding mechanism in place and you should be able to wiggle the winding mechanism away from the window channel. Be careful as the window may drop down on your hands.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Ian

Guest cunninmp

Hello Ian,

Well sure enough, I went out and looked and they are pinned. Appears to be a 3/32" solid

pin. I have drill rod in 1/16", 3/32", and 1/8". So I should be able to fabricate a fit.

I guess back in 37 roll pins weren't being used yet.

You mention removing the winding mechanism, are you thinking that is where the problem

lies?

Sounds like an adventure in the making.

The car was bought in 1964 and remained stock until 2002. Then the guys at Harrahs got a hold of

it and was all restored inside and out.

It's running a 350 Chevy and trans, with Ford front and rear ends. Disc brakes up front.

Patti's Dad passed away suddenly a year ago, so we're learning about it as we go.

Thanks for your quick reply. Over the next few weeks will let you know what progress I've made.

Mike C.

That tool would be handy but these usually come right apart.

If the pin is stuck it may take an extra pair of hands to hold the escutcheon back so the other pair could drive the pin out. However they will usually simply push out with a drift.

Guest cunninmp

Ian and all,

Well here's a quick update on the progress on the drivers side window problem.

As far as actual progress, there really isn't any, but I've scored a miraculous find.

In going through the trunk I came across a Drivers Side Window Regulator that appears

to be complete from the pictures I've seen. So now that I know how to remove the knobs

and side panel, I had hoped my problems were over. But as fate would have it, that

is not the case so far. The Regulator is slightly rusted so the mechanism doesn't turn

as of yet. Yesterday started applying Kano Kroil to the affected areas. The worst area of course

is the shaft and spur gear that makes the whole thing work.

I'm still going to see if the old regulator can be fixed.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures on here, I'll post a few.

By the way Dave, Mike Shaver stopped by a few days ago. So where are you moving to?

Mike C.

Groveland, CA

At the bottom right of the "Reply to this topic" is a grey box with "more reply options".

Click on that and at the bottom of the reply panel is another grey box that has "Choose Files" under the Attach Files heading.

Once you click on this you will be prompted to find your image you want to upload. Repeat that for each image then hit "Add Reply"

Your text and pictures will be posted.

Cheers

Ian

p.s. looking forward to seeing the pics !

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cunninmp

post-154621-0-18070400-1443191927_thumb.

Well I hope this works. Here is a picture of the front of the car

taken at our 49er Days Parade here in Groveland.

Because our town is located on the highway going to

Yosemite N.P., we can only use one lane for our parade.

If this picture attaches, I'll post a few more.

The color is a mettalic champagne.

Mike C.

Guest cunninmp

post-154621-0-25350000-1443192860_thumb.

Here is a side view of the car. In my opening post, I had stated the car

was powered by a 350 Chevy.

When I opened the hood sides, I knew it wasn't a Chevy. Winds up it's