1932 Buick Roadster (I think) 92

Guest TooRoundTDI

Guest TooRoundTDI

Hello everyone. I have what I think is a really rare 1932 Buick Roadster. I just pulled it out of the barn last week. My great uncle bought it in the early 50s and drove it until the early 70s when it was parked and never driven again. Im having trouble finding information about it and I was wondering if some people here could help me with its restoration. Im not new to restoring cars but I just cant seem to find much information on it. Im pretty sure its the rare one because it appears to have the wizard control and it definitely has the overhead valve straight 8.

Its in need of total restoration but all the metal is in pretty good restorable shape and most of the parts are there. The wood, however, is really bad and thats where I would need the most help. I think there is enough left to make patterns but it would make my life a lot easier if there was some way to find the drawings showing the shapes and the type of wood that its supposed to have.

I am really excited to get it into my garage in the next week or two to start assesing what needs to be done.

I will attach some pictures of how the poor old girl looks right now.

Thanks in advance for any information that you guys could help me find!

25q8whx.jpg

2ni8n13.jpg

2nqvbcp.jpg

25pl9v5.jpg

29zsit3.jpg

And this is the 56 International that I did a partial restoration on that I finished a couple of years ago

293uird.jpg

Guest TooRoundTDI

Ok Thank you! I will look at that tag and measure the wheelbase this morning. So the disriminator for the extremely rare one is the wheelbase? Or is there something else to look for? What is the difference between a Roadster and a couple convertable? Sorry about all the questions, this car is way older than I am familiar with that hasnt been hot rodded such as the Fords and Chevys.

It's a 1932 model 56C.  The larger series had a round crossbar across the frame in front of the lower apron.  The 50 series had the starter on the driver side of the motor and fuel pump on the passenger side.  the larger series had the starter on the passenger side sand a double acting fuel pump on the driverside.

Literature is readily available in reproduction form for the 1932 Buicks.

Serial # will be on the outside of the frame just behind the right front wheel.  Engine number is stamped on a boss on the engine block passenger side just above the distributor.

There were 630 of this model built.  There are 3 members of BCA listed for this model.

The wizzard control was standard on all 1932 models.

Your car is a called a 4 passenger convertible coupe roadster

To the best of my knowledge, there are no engineering drawings of the wood parts.  I used the old pieces as patterns to produce my replacement Ash wood pieces.  Poplar wood around windows and roof crossbows.  I  still have my old wood parts, If you need any particular pieces as patterns, send me a PM.  

You will need to get to know Bob's Automobilia and Mac Blair if you tackle the restoration, as they are the best source for reproduction parts.  I've got a lot of drive train old parts if you need anything contact me. All 50 series cars had the same drive train.  The convertible top parts will be unique to the 56C.  Dash parts will be common to all 50 series cars.  The windshield frame parts will be a challenge to find.

Bob Engle

Just noticed your post. You a definite 50 series. No overhead water pipe feeing the cylinder head. It looks like the headlights were converted to sealed beams. See if someone saved the original reflectors, bulb housing and circular rims for the headlights.

There is much more I can share and help but I have a medical condition which restricts my mobility, but I would love to see the car in person as we are nearby (Hartford), so if you are ready and in the garage, I can try to stop by. Send me PM and we can exchange phone numbers.

John

Guest TooRoundTDI

Thank you guys SO much for all the information. I own a small business and have been super busy the last couple days so I havent had a chance to look at the tag and things yet. I should have some time today.

Just noticed your post. You a definite 50 series. No overhead water pipe feeing the cylinder head. It looks like the headlights were converted to sealed beams. See if someone saved the original reflectors, bulb housing and circular rims for the headlights.

There is much more I can share and help but I have a medical condition which restricts my mobility, but I would love to see the car in person as we are nearby (Hartford), so if you are ready and in the garage, I can try to stop by. Send me PM and we can exchange phone numbers.

John

I will definitely PM you. My car friends and I get together to talk cars and drink beer on Friday nights and you are more than welcome to stop by if you can. Id love to pick your brain about the car whenever you can come see it. I also have some other treasures stashed away around my place that youd probably like.

The hardest piece to find on this '32 will be the clock that's been "liberated" from the center of the glove box.  

Jay

1932 8-86 Victoria Travelers Coupe

Yea I was thinking the same thing. Im hoping that it is in the glove box but I havent tried to open it yet, its kind of rusty and I dont want to break anything. I plan on getting the car into my garage this weekend when I can have some friends help and then I will start picking away at it.

Guest TooRoundTDI

It's a 1932 model 56C.  The larger series had a round crossbar across the frame in front of the lower apron.  The 50 series had the starter on the driver side of the motor and fuel pump on the passenger side.  the larger series had the starter on the passenger side sand a double acting fuel pump on the driverside.

Literature is readily available in reproduction form for the 1932 Buicks.

Serial # will be on the outside of the frame just behind the right front wheel.  Engine number is stamped on a boss on the engine block passenger side just above the distributor.

There were 630 of this model built.  There are 3 members of BCA listed for this model.

The wizzard control was standard on all 1932 models.

Your car is a called a 4 passenger convertible coupe roadster

To the best of my knowledge, there are no engineering drawings of the wood parts.  I used the old pieces as patterns to produce my replacement Ash wood pieces.  Poplar wood around windows and roof crossbows.  I  still have my old wood parts, If you need any particular pieces as patterns, send me a PM.  

You will need to get to know Bob's Automobilia and Mac Blair if you tackle the restoration, as they are the best source for reproduction parts.  I've got a lot of drive train old parts if you need anything contact me. All 50 series cars had the same drive train.  The convertible top parts will be unique to the 56C.  Dash parts will be common to all 50 series cars.  The windshield frame parts will be a challenge to find.

Bob Engle

Do you know where I could find the literature for it? I found a place for my International at a place called binderbooks.com. Is there something like that for the Buick?

Thank you for the offer on the wood parts. Once I get it into the garage I will assess what I will need and get back to you for sure.

Luckily I still do have the windshield parts but they are in need of repair.

I will get more pictures and information this weekend or next week once I get it into the garage where it will be safe.

The 4 books you will want in order of priority are 1932 Buick Specifications and adjustments, fisher body manual 29-31 and Master parts catalog 1932 or 1933 edition, and last manual, Buick engineering assy instructions1931.  I do not recommend that you buy the CD's for the parts manuals.  They are not searchable as they  are just digitized pages which are hard to search though.  Faxon Books sell repros of these manuals, but I would suggest that you google each manual to find the best price.

There is a clock delete panel for the glove box door if you can't find a Sandoz clock.

pm  me if you want to talk though any specific details.

Bob Engle 

Guest TooRoundTDI

Thank you for the information. I will definitely get the hard copys. I have a CD manual for my Subaru and Id never do that again.

Is/will be a fine Buick

Do you know where I could find the literature for it? I found a place for my International at a place called binderbooks.com. Is there something like that for the Buick?fe.

From post 5 of http://forums.aaca.org/topic/207201-39-buick-team-membership/

These were posted using the old forum software. Not 100% if they will work now

3:- Literature
Buick Books etc
Buick owners Bookshelf
Found Cheap Master Parts Books On CD
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/

4:- Information
Buick production by plant by Sean1997. Very good reading
1932-1975 Buick trim codes by model by Sean1997. Very good reading
http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/index.php/restoration/engines/straight_8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Straight-8_engine
http://classiccardatabase.com/index.php
www.carnut.com
Straight eight engine serial numbers
1937-38 Buick Club(BCA)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Wizzard control is a vacuum operated clutch.  It can be used to freewheel down hills and it can be used for shifting to second and third gear without using the clutch pedal. A complicated valve mechanism controlled the clutch actuation.  

When running in low gear, step on the wizzard control button on the floorboard, take foot off the gas pedal, high manifold vacuum disengages the clutch, shift into second and step on the gas, low vacuum allows the clutch to reengage.  repeat process for 3rd gear.

Bob Engle

Wizard Control was good in theory, but was problematic.  Mine is disengaged, though the red foot button is there, it's just for looks now.  I don't think I know of any 32's or 33's that have it in use today.  They had it for only 2 years before discontinuing it.  As mentioned, too many problems.

Jay

Novato, CA

1932 Buick 8-86 Victoria Travelers Coupe

1930 Packard 

• 1 month later...

Ok thank you, I will look at it tomorrow in the daylight and post a picture. I think that tag is still there.

Would have any intensions of selling it???

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...