Sign in to follow this  
RKAJFSAZ

1922 FRANKLIN ENGINE QUESTION

I visited an old friend of mine this weekend who is restoring a 1922 Franklin, looking at the naked

chassis I noticed something out of place, at least to me, who's use to looking at a Series 12.  The 

gizmo is located between the exhaust pipe and the fuel intake heat exchanger, it looks like it has

an attachment to engine vacuum and a line goes into the block.  Each cylinder has a collar type clamp

​and a channel running between them below the cooling fins, this attaches to the gizmo.  The 

installation is very well done, look like a factory thing. What does this do ?, Franklin option cold

weather oil heater ? post-132655-0-07897600-1441032912_thumb. 

Thanks in advance for any info   Bob Kajfasz

Hi Bob - 

It looks like an oil rectifier. They were a popular add-on from about this time through the late 1920's on many cars. I've never fussed with one, but I think the idea was to heat the oil to flash off the contaminants.  Most were made by Skinner

tom

Yes we do, I feel foolish I missed the "Skinner" tag on the rectifier unit.  The body of this car is coming along

very nicely, Im sure it will be a wonderful restoration when complete.

Bob

P.S. Are you the source of the " Cleveland " touring ?

My father's 1923 10B has a Skinner rectifier. It's a very involved accessory requiring different pistons and holes drilled in cylinders. I've only seen one other on a Franklin and it lives in Vermont.

I'll try to get a picture, but the jugs are drilled for an oil return, and the pistons have a "tail" extending from the skirt to cover the hole except when the piston is at TDC.