Favorite cars of the 70s-80s? Like to hear what the general thoughts are..

Guest LuxDriver

What about the Opel GT's have not seen one of them in a long time (in person). I remember there were a few in the used car lot of the Chevy Dealer after my Father squashed my purchase of a 75 Cosworth.I was under 21 and the dealer had to have a parent approve the sale. So after that was over the salesman, being a salesman said "look around maybe we can put that deposit towards something else" ........ the Opel did not happen either. Those Opel's were pretty cool 70's cars

opel1.jpg

opel2.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:44 PM, padgett said:

Strangest part of the GT were the headlights. They rotated sideways and were actuated by a lever next to the driver's leg.

I remember that.   And they actually looked good either way; open or closed, as they didn't look like a 'pop-up' headlight when exposed.

Craig

Only GP 'vert was a '67, 71 was the last year until 1988 for a manual transmission. Heard a long time ago that John the Z decreed that the '69 GP would have a longer hood than the Lincoln Mk III and is - by 3/4". Makes for a ginormous fan shroud.

3 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

i like the 1969 to 1972 pontiac grand prix's, real long hood, short trunk styling, beautiful vertical grill, too bad they build a convertible of these years.

Charles, remember the black 69 GP that was featured in Smoke Signals that a guy and his wife turned into a convertible? That was a great looking car!

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Only GP 'vert was a '67, 71 was the last year until 1988 for a manual transmission. Heard a long time ago that John the Z decreed that the '69 GP would have a longer hood than the Lincoln Mk III and is - by 3/4". Makes for a ginormous fan shroud.

Did you know the 69 and later GP would not have happened if it weren't for Pete Estes. That also goes for the 64 Pontiac GTO.

Guest ShadowES

I find driving my ** Shadow ES Turbo to still be very satisfying - they were quick for their day, had Z rated tires so handled great, and had very nice upgraded interiors.  The ES is a forgotten 80's gem. 

std_1988_dodge_shadow_es.jpg

Guest ShadowES

Never have been able to find out how many were built John.  The first year was 87, the 88's had the rear spoiler added and a few other goodies, the 89 and up became more mainstream with alot of the special items disappearing like the Z rated tires. Here is an 88 factory photo. 

dodge_shadow_es_red_front_1988.jpg

On 5/21/2016 at 10:54 PM, helfen said:

Charles, remember the black 69 GP that was featured in Smoke Signals that a guy and his wife turned into a convertible? That was a great looking car!

yes, that was a beautiful high quality conversion, looked factory.