can't get the distributor out

TomTIII

I'm in the process of taking the head off the 1931 "A", and after removing the distributor set screw, I freed up the  distributor body, but I can only move it about 1/4" up from the head, and it springs back in, like there's a little troll down there keeping it in:-?  I haven't read about this in any of the how-to books... I have a wood wedge under the body that holds it up maybe 1/8" :-(

post-102260-0-15576700-1440623039_thumb.

post-102260-0-03827800-1440623108_thumb.

First - do not apply a lot of pressure to the underside of the distributor with a screwdriver or wedge - you will break the distributor body..... honest. you can use PB Blaster of your own favorite liquid wrench type product, heat, tap, etc and see what happens.

If that doesn't work you can purchase a distributor removal tool from most of the Model "A" vendors for around $40 or call the local Model "A" club and see if someone has one you can use.

The third method is removing the head with the distributor in place (it's almost always the distributor body that is rusted to the head) and then proceed to remove the distributor by knocking it out from underneath. If the head has been off already this is probably the quickest and least costly way. If the head hasn't been off and you have no intention of taking it off then buy or borrow the tool.

It's possible the screw that holds it in place mushroomed the shank on the distributor shank a bit.......it doesn't take much to make removal a PIA.......  :blink:

Carefully keep turning it back and forth while gently lifting until it's free.......with any luck you can wear down what's holding it and it'll pop out.

Sounds to me as though the distributor shaft is rusted to or stuck somehow on the drive shaft. When you pull it up, the drive gear turns a little due to freeplay then, when it reaches it's end of rotation wants to pull back.You might try gently tapping wooden wedges under both sides of the body base and it might pop loose, The wood will give before the casting will, as stated before, don't pry hard on it with a steel bar or screwdriver.

I agree with jpage.  Sounds like the shaft is rusted to the drive.   Take off the valve cover and see what you have going on.   The shaft has a notch and the drive has a tang. The drive is held down by a spring, and that is probably the "spring loaded" feel that you are experiencing.  You're lifting the drive.