paddle switch for top pull down

Budtee

I would like to try Diggers fix for the paddle switch.  (Drill hole and clean with brake or contact cleaner)  I would appreciate some direction as to where to drill the hole and how large.  I attach a couple of pictures of switches help in the explanation.    

.post-131315-0-69786100-1440086490.jpgpost-131315-0-12854900-1440086491.jpgpost-131315-0-66644400-1440086491.jpgpost-131315-0-18474300-1440086492.jpg

Plan B would be to buy a switch.  I find two Delco part numbers. 16629927 and 16603372. Any idea which one would fit?   (I assume it is the 3-wire switch.)  The 16629927 is available on Amazon for about $19.

I found that the switch has the number 16603820. (Incidentally it is a 5 wire connection at the paddle switch.) Can't find one anywhere.using that number.  

After installing a new plastic housing and gear on top of the motor, I reassembled the motor to the cross frame and connected the power wire while it lay in the well. It seemed to work fine laying there.  It cycled in both directions.  

I then bolted it back in place and it pulled the top down but would not reverse to release the top. If I manually release the top from the trunk, it will cycle down again. I am stymied.  Could it be the paddle switch?  Or the relay mounted near the paddle switch?  

I have not tried to drill the hole to clean the paddle switch yet.

Can you explain the function of the paddle switch and the snapping toggle switch?

I found that the switch has the number 16603820. (Incidentally it is a 5 wire connection at the paddle switch.) Can't find one anywhere.using that number.  

After installing a new plastic housing and gear on top of the motor, I reassembled the motor to the cross frame and connected the power wire while it lay in the well. It seemed to work fine laying there.  It cycled in both directions.  

I then bolted it back in place and it pulled the top down but would not reverse to release the top. If I manually release the top from the trunk, it will cycle down again. I am stymied.  Could it be the paddle switch?  Or the relay mounted near the paddle switch?  

Can you explain the function of the paddle switch and the snapping toggle switch?

The 'Snapping Switch'' is what reverses the polarity, therefore the motor rotation. This appears to be what is malfunctioning on your mechanism.

Sometimes part numbers are superseded, is this your switch? http://autoplicity.com/4224556-acdelco-16629927

Garnet & Gold

Get on Ebay and put these numbers in the search line:

391169452620  That is for the gear which was $12.99 with free shipping

231019060087  For the housing $24.99 with free shipping.  (Housing was not clear plastic like the picture.  It was black and probably some type of fiberglass.)

Both parts fit fine.

Yes the switches for the tonneau cover and the pull down are individual switches identical to the door lock and passenger door window switch.  If your hard top is on the car (85 pounds) I don't believe the tonneau would pop up.  The tonneau cover should make a click sound when the switch is pushed on the top side.  There is a manual release wire for the tonneau on each side of the storage compartment.  If the tonneau has popped up and you push the top side of the switch it will click again.  There are two tonneau releases one on each side of the car.  Does your pull down switch work?

Installed the new paddle switch today. Still doesn't work.  Motor is OK.   New gear and plastic housing.  Since the tonneau and pull down switch are identical I tried the tonneau cover switch on the pull down.  No change.

When I hit the pull down switch, it just cycles up then down . The only part, other than the motor, that I did not replace is the relay that is next to the paddle switch. Any thoughts?

As best as I can recall, I was once told that the relay can go bad if it get wet.  Does it appear to be rusty?  Needless to say, they are located in an area that it can get rain on.  It that is the problem I do not know the part number or where to get it.  On my relay it shows the Chrysler symbol and "4221653" new line "901611" new line "Made in USA" new line "299". Hope this helps.

I just finished looking at a lot of old posts and noticed that they mentioned a "silver relay".  I have only a black plastic housed one near the paddle switch. My car is an early 89 8v. One post disconnected the relay and solved the problem.  

I just finished looking at a lot of old posts and noticed that they mentioned a "silver relay".  I have only a black plastic housed one near the paddle switch. My car is an early 89 8v. One post disconnected the relay and solved the problem.  

Here’s the scoop on relay’s and operation. One relay may or not be silver and may or not be mounted near edge of pull down assembly, depending on whether or not it’s ever been replaced. So the relay with the bigger wires is the power relay and the smaller wires connect the holding relay.

In a nutshell here’s how the thingamajig works:

Top is off latches and paddle switch are open, 12v is present at top sw center pin.

When top is mounted rear pins are snapped into the open latches.

Pushing top switch for pull down sends 12v through paddle switch to holding relay.

Holding relay feeds 12v through paddle sw and to power relay which feeds 12v to pull down motor.

Toggle sw on paddle sw flips with end of travel reversing power and 12v stops feeding holding relay which stops feeding pull down motor.

When paddle sw is up and toggle is flipped at end of travel, only pull down operation should work.

When paddle sw is down and toggle is flipped at end of travel, only release and raise should work.

When the holding relay isn’t holding itself, holding the switch will get you through to end of cycle.

When holding relay doesn’t stop holding, power goes where it shouldn’t when it shouldn’t. Check for shorted wires before making a trip to radio shack for a new relay.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys. Happened to come across this, and want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. So, with all models of the TC, we should be able to tap the top up or down button, and it should run the pull-down or release cycle all the way through without having to hold the button down? Is that what you you're describing Digger with the holding relay? Mine has never done this since I got the car. I've always had to told the top-up or top-down button until the cycle completes. So, I wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.