First test drive in '38 Lincoln K

CBoz

First test drive around the neighborhood; initial impressions:

1. Engine pulls strong and quiet, but transmission pops out of first (I knew this before I bought).  Since reverse is fine, it's not the slider gear but the main cluster, which probably had all the first gear teeth worn down over the years. Even with the tranny in poor shape, I can see how nice these big V-12s were.

2. Vacuum-assisted brakes are also good, though slight pull to the right. This is something that's relatively easy to adjust.

3. Shocks are stiff but all arms seem to move. With top off of fluid and a little luck they may be fine.

4. Quick inspection underneath shows rear leafs are completely sagged, so they will have to be re-arched or better yet, replaced. Exhaust was recently replaced but looks like it was hung with whatever odds and ends were in the toolkit.  A really poor job if done by a professional.  I'll be looking at the chassis manual I have to determine what the proper set of hangers looked like.

5. A little bit of tire wobble in very tight turns, which suggests some wear in the kingpins or bearings, but I'll have to see when I get it up on a lift.

All in all not bad, but the car is going to need some work to perform like it should, which is fine with me.

post-76616-0-32413300-1439908330_thumb.j

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

Great car. The popping out of gear my not be a cluster. Pull the top off the trans and check the detention balls and springs in the cover, more often than not it will be your problem. Ed

• Like 1

Great car. The popping out of gear my not be a cluster. Pull the top off the trans and check the detention balls and springs in the cover, more often than not it will be your problem. Ed

Wow, that would be great if that's it!  I've had to pull the tranny out before on a car with a solid torque tube and it's no fun. In general, what should I be checking for with regard to wear in the detention balls and springs?

• 3 weeks later...

Popped the top of the '38 K tranny this past weekend. It's pretty clear that someone in the past didn't understand what it means to have an *unsynchronized* first gear.  The slider gear looks pretty banged up on the first gear side; it's mate on the cluster didn't look too bad but nonetheless it will all have to come apart to replace the slider. While I'm in there new bearings, etc., and it'll be as good as new.

post-76616-0-04626800-1442247667_thumb.j

Are you fabricating a new first gear?  I've been experiencing that fun lately.

I haven't decided yet. Ideally I'd like to find a matched set to replace it (not necessarily NOS, but some good pieces that have worn together). I would think with today's manufacturing technologies someone could scan it, check the dimensions and make corrections, and CNC one if absolutely necessary, but I definitely don't want to have to go that path.

That is a sound plan and since that transmission was used for a few years you have a chance.  Unfortunately for me my transmission is made of unobtanium so having a new second gear made was my only choice.  First try didn't work and the gear guys are making another one.  It seems my gears were timed and we didn't notice the timing marks.

That is a sound plan and since that transmission was used for a few years you have a chance.  Unfortunately for me my transmission is made of unobtanium so having a new second gear made was my only choice.  First try didn't work and the gear guys are making another one.  It seems my gears were timed and we didn't notice the timing marks.

That's what you get for buying one of them fancy-schmancy furrin' cars;)  Seriously, I hope it works out ok in the end.  I'm sure you can't wait to get it back on the road.

• 1 month later...

No need to replace the gear unless it is terrible. Chewed up teeth are common and will not cause any problem, post some photos. Most new gears cause more problems than they fix. I would look for lots of other issues before I start making gears. Ed.