Sign in to follow this  
MADAFARR

need help stutz emblem dealer display what is this?

Does anyone know what this is. My dad and i cleaned out a garage with a bunch of antique car parts. This is lead and weighs almost 7 pounds. Thanks in advance

post-154450-0-45433400-1439879915_thumb.

What does the back side look like?  If there is a threaded hole or other attaching feature it might possibly be a side mounted spare tire center cap.

Cannot be a stamping die if it is made of lead! The die has to be stronger than what you are trying to stamp.

At 7 pounds it is not a spare wheel center cover.

Probably someones fun home casting done with tire weights using a spare dust cover as the pattern.

Auburn seeker is on the mark. Not even practical as a paper weight!

Cannot be a stamping die if it is made of lead! The die has to be stronger than what you are trying to stamp.

At 7 pounds it is not a spare wheel center cover.

Probably someones fun home casting done with tire weights using a spare dust cover as the pattern.

Auburn seeker is on the mark. Not even practical as a paper weight!

That was the only reason I thought of a door stop.  Maybe a paperweight for a vendor at Hershey during Hurricane season.  Lead isn't really good for much as it marks to easy other than weight and ease of smelting.  I bet as you thought, they may have used some sort of cap to pour the lead in, which if it was a pretty thin stamping would have good detail on both sides. 

That looks like a Stutz emblem all right. I am trying to think what kind of dealer shop tool, or showroom  equipment would use something like that and am drawing a blank. Don't forget Stutz also made fire engines and Pak Age Car delivery vans.

What does the back look like?

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks everybody for the help. The back is flat. This thing is well made I think the emblem is backwards in the middle although I am not sure. The only guess we had was that it was some sort of counter top display.

post-154450-0-57070600-1439956550_thumb.

Madafarr,  Good observation about it being reversed.  It clearly begins with a "Z" and ends with the "S".  So, the mystery deepens.....

post-97491-0-45181800-1440168348_thumb.j

• Like 1

Wonder if it was a form to make instrument faces? Back in the 1960's we used to take sheets of copper and rub place them over a mold and rub the surface to make a 3D impression. That would explain the STUTZ in reverse. Bob 

• Like 1

Lead would be a good material to cast an impression if you needed to machine by CNC a press die to make exact replicas.

• Like 1

It is probably a plug to keep birds from nestling in one of these: 300px-HMS_Kent_hockey.jpg

on the USS Stutz.

Bernie

• Like 1