What's wrong with the Zephyr rearend?

Beltfed

Getting around to shocks on the rear and noticed the axle is about 9" from the frame rubber bumper. As for history, I pulled the rearend to repair the Columbia. I also remove the rear spring for disassembly, cleaning, and painting. Used a 'widow maker' spring spreader to get the spring back on. There's a pic of the spring shackles and the are positioned differently than the front. Could that be my problem? The jack stands are under the axle so the car should be at about ride height. Tried jumping up and down on the bumper with no movement so it bound up some how.

Thanks for any help.

post-130900-0-11341700-1439843286_thumb.post-130900-0-81373900-1439843302_thumb.post-130900-0-42511200-1439843319_thumb.post-130900-0-76668100-1439843331_thumb.

From memory my 38 rear spring sits  almost flat with about a 6 inch top to bottom arch with  shackles at 45 degrees. I have my spring out at the moment, considering refitting the Columbia 2 speed again after 15 years  under  the workshop bench.  Are you sure your car  body weight is not held up by another stand. Your spring may have been  rearched  higher  and a  couple more leaves added. My spring   measures 44 3/4 inches across eye to eye and has 14 leaves.   

I just checked my spring. It also has 14 leafs and is 2-1/4" wide. As it sits on the car the span between eyelets is about 44-1/2". The spring book says that is correct for "Zephyr, All except Conv. Sdn., P/N 86H5560A". The Conv. Sdn. is P/N86H5560B and has 15 leafs. I'm not sure the shocks have enough downward travel to connect the 'dog bone' to the backing plate

Well, I guess I cried Wolf! again before I did as 38ShortopConv. suggested. I had the jack stands under the A pillars. I moved them under the front axle and that moved the rear shackle bars to around 45 degrees. Boy am I glad I don't have to use that spring spreader again. Thanks for the help.