Water box boken bolt issue

vonblood

Ok so I pulled a dumb move yesterday. I attempted to change the thermostat and snapped the back bolt off.

After attempting to extract the bolt end with no luck towed the car to the mechanic. I hope they have more

luck than I did getting it out. If not, is the water box a difficult part to replace? I have the 3.0 motor

Just trying to get prepared for the phone call tomorrow. Of course I would do this just days before the

cross state cruise I am scheduled to be in.

-Frustrated in Gaylord

Not a dumb move and even experienced mechanics snap a bolt every now and then. Can they get the bolt out quick, can't say, don't know what the broken bolt looks like. If it still has some thread sticking up and they  have a good welder, that bolt will be free in minutes. If it snapped flush it takes little longer, a flush busted bolt can still be nut welded, takes a real good welder. Drilling out a busted bolt isn't as easy as it sounds, if you tried to drill down to use an easy out and made a mess, you wont have your car back tomorrow and you could be putting their kids through college.  

Lucky for me, my mechanic still has guilt about the front axle issue we had last year and even though he spent most of all day getting it out

he charged me only 100.00. Pretty pricey to change a thermostat but cant complain.

Second question, while I was breaking easy out bits in the snapped bolt head i noticed two metal lines directly above that looked as if they should be

connected by a small rubber hose. When I got car back the lines were connected with said rubber hose. The motor was quieter and when removed one end there

was a sucking sound that had been present all the years I have owned it. The mechanic never mentioned adding the hose. My guess he thought he removed it

and just replaced. My question, what was that and how was it that I drove it for 4 years like that?

Lucky for me, my mechanic still has guilt about the front axle issue we had last year and even though he spent most of all day getting it out

he charged me only 100.00. Pretty pricey to change a thermostat but cant complain.

Second question, while I was breaking easy out bits in the snapped bolt head i noticed two metal lines directly above that looked as if they should be

connected by a small rubber hose. When I got car back the lines were connected with said rubber hose. The motor was quieter and when removed one end there

was a sucking sound that had been present all the years I have owned it. The mechanic never mentioned adding the hose. My guess he thought he removed it

and just replaced. My question, what was that and how was it that I drove it for 4 years like that?

If it is the small 1/4" hose you are speaking of, it supplies vacuum to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Being disconnected merely allows the pressure regulator to ALWAYS supply maximum regulated fuel pressure to the fuel rail and therefore, the injectors. This would cause NO drivability problem and no trouble codes to be set.

You may find that your fuel mileage is somewhat improved, though it would be insignificant.