1957 Buick- Need help with Back-up Light Wiring!

Brandon Todd

I'm trying to get the reverse lights working on the 1957 Special 4 Dr. I checked, and I have no power at the socket itself. With the fuse ok, and the park neutral switch aligned right, I'm guessing i have a break in the line somewhere? 

Looking in the trunk, I can see the black wire running from each reverse light meet up and disappear behind the back seat. After that, I have no Idea how it runs to the front of the car. I was wanting to ask if anyone had dealt with this before and can help me out as to how that wire is ran from the front to the back. 

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

Brandon T.

I am going from memory, but it seems the wire runs over the top of the rear wheel well, then down to the floor and under a cover plate just under the carpet.  You should remove the sill plate and the left kick plate to follow the wire up into he main harness.  Also, I believe that the fuel gage wire follows the same route.  I have a Special parts car among my stuff.  I will check tomorrow to see if what I have written is correct. 

Dan

Dan is mostly right. The wire runs under the left corner of the back seat (at least that's where it is on mine), under the carpet and under a metal cover next to the driver's door sill plate. Check the connection at the base of the steering column to see that the wire is still attached, but my vote is with Mike who suspects a bad ground at the backup light socket.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Found it out! The piece in the neutral switch that connects to the gear shifter broke. So when i switched gears, the slider piece in the switch wasn't moving with it. Got it all fixed and working good! Thanks everyone for the advice, i'm glad the wiring ended up being ok.

• Like 1

Found it out! The piece in the neutral switch that connects to the gear shifter broke. So when i switched gears, the slider piece in the switch wasn't moving with it. Got it all fixed and working good! Thanks everyone for the advice, i'm glad the wiring ended up being ok.

Excellent, glad you figured it out. Don't feel bad though, a few weeks back I spent 3 hours finding the issue with my lights on big blue when in hindsight it should have taken me 20 minutes!

This is a good example of why it's so hard to respond to requests for help in some instances. And thanks for coming back to let us know what you found.