Buford

Identify year of intake/exhaust manifold - straight 8

Somewhere along the way I've picked up a straight 8 manifold and don't remember what year it's from. It's two piece rather than the 3 piece that my '50 Roadmaster has and has the part #1338252-2 on the intake and #1313674-3 on the exhaust (see pictures). Any help identifying it would be appreciated.

Alan

post-138769-0-53447800-1439396962_thumb.

post-138769-0-11338700-1439397010_thumb.

post-138769-0-89453000-1439397055_thumb.

post-138769-0-53008800-1439397127_thumb.

According to my parts book, the intake manifold number matches '50-'52 series 40 and 50, and '53 series 40

Thanks retirednow. I didn't realize that the smaller straight 8 used a 2 piece rather than a 3 piece manifold. I know the 3 piece is the one prone to cracks in the exhaust side but I'm not familiar with the likelihood of cracks in the 2 piece. The one I have doesn't seem to have any so perhaps it will be of some interest to someone if I post it for sale.

Thanks again,  Alan

• Like 1

Retirednow is correct. Notice that the carb mounting area has 4 bolts. This indicates this is for a 263 cubic inch engine whereas a 3 bolt carb mount would be for the older 248 engine.

Joe

Retirednow is correct. Notice that the carb mounting area has 4 bolts. This indicates this is for a 263 cubic inch engine whereas a 3 bolt carb mount would be for the older 248 engine.

Joe

Not so. I do not know when the 248 got 4 bolts, but for sure 1950 does. The manifold will Fit any 248 and 263. With exception of the earlier ones that the engine sat level, then the exhaust would still fit.

1950 was the last 248, in the 40 series. The first 263 in the 50 series. 

Ben

Thanks Joe and Ben for your replies. I've got to admit not knowing Buick had three engines for 1950; 248, 263, and 320. Now that I know what my extra manifold fits, that leaves the Roadmaster only that has the three piece manifold which apparently is the only one prone to cracking.

Alan

Thanks Joe and Ben for your replies. I've got to admit not knowing Buick had three engines for 1950; 248, 263, and 320. Now that I know what my extra manifold fits, that leaves the Roadmaster only that has the three piece manifold which apparently is the only one prone to cracking.

Alan

The 320, I believe, always had the three piece [ plus preheat valve box ] and the center section is prone to crack. The 248/263   [ '50 was the ONLY year for both]   is a one piece plus preheat box. They, too, are prone to cracking and warping. The preheat valve box will also crack. I have one cracked into three pieces.

Ben

First Born:

Thanks for correcting me on the carburetor mounting holes for the 248 vs 263. I never knew Buick sold both engines in 1950. On the 248 intakes that I have seen there is a boss and a hole near he front of the intake manifold for the long bolt to hold the air cleaner in place. On the 263 intake the air filter crosses over the valve cover to the other side of the engine.

Joe

Joe, my 248 air cleaner mounts like the 263. I believe the 320 mounts parallel to the engine and has the boss on the manifold. Perhaps some of the earlier year 248's also. My memory is not what it was. I owned a 1948 Super when it was just an old car. about 1958. It would have had a 248. In fact, I overhauled {bearings and rings} but do not remember.

Ben

Ben:

I had a 48 Special with the 248 and it had the boss with a hole between the first sand second intake ports and the air cleaner was parallel to the engine. My 53 Special has the 263 and the air cleaner crosses over the top of the valve cover.

Joe

The manifold will Fit any 248 and 263. With exception of the earlier ones that the engine sat level, then the exhaust would still fit.

1950 was the last 248, in the 40 series. The first 263 in the 50 series.

1939 was the first year of the stepped manifold

rh - Sorry for the long delay in replying but my wife passed away in October and I haven't been back on the forum until now. Yes, I still have the manifold if you're still interested.

Alan

On 8/15/2015 at 8:34 PM, 1939_Buick said:

1939 was the first year of the stepped manifold

Good catch! It's a combo. Early, pre 1939 exhaust, and later, 4 bolt carb intake. Why did they change to the stepped intake for 1939? Makes it a little taller, but Speedway sells 3 to 4 bolt adapters if needed to accommodate whatever carb you choose. 

2 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Early, pre 1939 exhaust, and later, 4 bolt carb intake. Why did they change to the stepped intake for 1939?.. 

1939 exhaust manifolds/heads do not have a lug/stud at no. 8 cylinder. Theory was it was too close to the firewall.

1938 and before the crankshaft was horizontal to the ground. 1939 & later the crankshaft is at an angle to the ground so lower the drive shaft.

• Like 1