Help getting her started!

Guest Coronet440

Guest Coronet440

I set out to do 2 things today, and unfortunately found myself doing a third. I changes out all the spark plugs, no problem. I replaced the throttle body with a 52mm throttle body off of a 3.3 engine, went on fine without a hitch. Only issue was in removing one of the vacuum tubes, a 3-way connector busted down the vacuum line. Okay, no biggie, I replaced that. I found another issue involving another line that had apparently come off the vacuum box near the battery. I replaced that too, all problems that I could see are squared away, only problem is I go to start the car, and I heard a click as if it was about to start, and then nothing. All accessories come on, but the starter doesn't turn over and the solenoid doesn't activate either. I just switched the starter recently, so I can't believe that its gone out already. Any thoughts?

I set out to do 2 things today, and unfortunately found myself doing a third. I changes out all the spark plugs, no problem. I replaced the throttle body with a 52mm throttle body off of a 3.3 engine, went on fine without a hitch. Only issue was in removing one of the vacuum tubes, a 3-way connector busted down the vacuum line. Okay, no biggie, I replaced that. I found another issue involving another line that had apparently come off the vacuum box near the battery. I replaced that too, all problems that I could see are squared away, only problem is I go to start the car, and I heard a click as if it was about to start, and then nothing. All accessories come on, but the starter doesn't turn over and the solenoid doesn't activate either. I just switched the starter recently, so I can't believe that its gone out already. Any thoughts?

Check your battery connections, making sure they are clean and tight.

Is the click from the starter relay (the black Bosch relay) or was it the starter solenoid that clicked? Verify which one, tell us if you still need help.

Yes, I read your post. So if the solenoid on the starter did nothing, made no sound, then it would appear that it is the RELAY. Do a voltage check at the various terminals related to narrow down the problem.

Guest Coronet440

I guess I just needed to walk away and come back to it. Something that I already knew is that my car leaks power steering fluid, and it makes its way onto the starter. I guess it coincidentally decided today would be the day it wouldn't want to start given the fact. A brand new starter probably could take it for a while longer, but I took this starter off my LeBaron and it already had some minor corrosion on the surface. Sprayed a little electronics CRC and we're back in business. Still, time to buy a new starter one of these days and eventually address the fluid leak seeing as how what I now realized was probably taking out the starter on my lebaron, which also had a PS leak.

I guess I just needed to walk away and come back to it. Something that I already knew is that my car leaks power steering fluid, and it makes its way onto the starter. I guess it coincidentally decided today would be the day it wouldn't want to start given the fact. A brand new starter probably could take it for a while longer, but I took this starter off my LeBaron and it already had some minor corrosion on the surface. Sprayed a little electronics CRC and we're back in business. Still, time to buy a new starter one of these days and eventually address the fluid leak seeing as how what I now realized was probably taking out the starter on my lebaron, which also had a PS leak.

Since the power steering pump is on the other end of the engine, the hoses and steering rack are well below the starter, I think you have an engine oil leak or seepage that is getting on the starter. Oil will ALMOST NEVER cause a starter not to function. Look for oil leak from the valve cover or the oil line feeding the turbo.