1966 MKII 3.4S Jaguar

Guest Luchotocado

Guest Luchotocado

Hello,

Im new to the forum, and hopefully if I make this deal, Ill be here very often. I have a chance to buy a 1966 mkII jaguar. It is a 3.4 S. Says the owner bought the car in 1970 and had a new engine

put in it. A ford 302 later in the 70s. Car was repainted to its original color and the inside was redone 7 years ago. Car is running. All that needs to be fixed is the brakes. I am trying to find out what to look for when I go see it. Also what would be a fair price to pay for it?

Any info would be appreciated. I attached some pictures but they are not great. Thats The only ones the seller has.

Thanks in advance.

Luis

post-154352-0-91173700-1439149845_thumb.

post-154352-0-32494300-1439149861_thumb.

post-154352-0-94687900-1439149872_thumb.

post-154352-0-36199200-1439149891_thumb.

Guest Luchotocado

Just curious, would that be 5800 us dollars, Canadian dollars, British pounds or other?

Sorry,

US dollars(I wish it was 5800 mexican pesos though)

is that a decent price?

Guest Bob Call

With a Ford engine I would think it would not have much appeal to Jag fans and a Jag saloon would be at the bottom of the list for street rodders. IMHO not much value here.

Several comments:

1. There is a company based in Texas that supplies Chevy V-8 conversions for Jaguar sedans. He has been in business for many years. The Ford engine in the Jaguar would not be considered heresy - it would cost you too much money to find and rebuilt a replacement Jaguar engine.
  2. Right-hand drive makes the car less valuable in the US market. There are plenty of 60's left-hand drives for sale, so this is a big minus.
  3. A complete Jaguar brake job will cost you a lot more than you think. Get an estimate beforehand.

$5800 sounds a bit high for what you are getting. 

Edited by RansomEli (see edit history)

Guest Luchotocado

I dont think the original engine comes with it but I did not ask. What price would be a decent price? Im gona counter offer since he does say or best offer.

I believe the '66 MK 11 was a 3.4.  and the 3.8S would be an XK.  Since this car needs brake work, are you unable to test drive it?  If so, I'd have to assume more trouble under the surface and make your offer accordingly, you just don't know.  Once an engine conversion as the car has takes place it greatly diminishes its value to a collector, but granted, if done well it could be a nice driver.  The right hand drive is disadvantageous, and in some situations dangerous, such as when attempting to pass the car ahead.  As a Jag lover I dislike the thought of swapping off a tried and true dohv Jaguar engine for a common push rod Ford engine.  Any one else in my camp?

I can't comment on the price but one thing I think some here have not picked up on is that this car is an S type not a Mk 2.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_S-Type_(1963)      The S type has the independent rear end from the E type and a longer tail. Its desirability is in the eye of the beholder. It is much less common than the Mk2.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Mark_2

I guess like any car that has sat for some time the cost of recommissioning will not be cheap. 

I have no experience of V8 powered Jaguars but having a 500 lb engine up front instead of one weighing 750 lb must have some benefits in handling. 

$5800 doesn't go a long way on a collector car these days and it's not hard to pour another $6,000 to $8,000. So predicting a minimum expense, you are looking at a $12,000 total on the car over the next couple of years. Is that in your plans?

Personally, I would have had the car home if I had found it and wanted it. Taking pictures and asking questions on the forum is kind of like standing at the entrance to that suspension bridge in the Andes Mountains hesitating to get the view.

The car is cheap.

The car is messed up.

The car is less likely to catch on fire than the original.

The car will be fun, once running and reliable.

No car is ever a 100% loss.

Walking away can avoid seller's sentimental values.

Walking away can avoid the cost of benevolent neglect.

Getting over there today and buying it will get you more time to think it over.

All my car buying regrets are over cars I didn't buy.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest Luchotocado

Guy said he can come down to 4k but with all those expenses Im still gona have to pass. Its funny 10 people tell me no and 1 yes and Inwant tonlisten to the 1! Oh well, at least now I know to keep my eye out for cars like that. Im a bicycle guy. I feel a change coming. Way more expensive change

I can't comment on the price but one thing I think some here have not picked up on is that this car is an S type not a Mk 2.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_S-Type_(1963)      The S type has the independent rear end from the E type and a longer tail. Its desirability is in the eye of the beholder. It is much less common than the Mk2.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Mark_2

I guess like any car that has sat for some time the cost of recommissioning will not be cheap. 

I have no experience of V8 powered Jaguars but having a 500 lb engine up front instead of one weighing 750 lb must have some benefits in handling. 

S type are far less popular than Mark II.  There is also a 340 - later cheaper version of the Mark 11

Even in my part of the world (right hand drive) $5800 is too much.  The Ford V8 devalues it. Not what collectors want now

Luchotocado,

One thing you didn't mention when it comes to making a decision about whether or not to buy a collector car is: "Are you able and willing to do your own maintenance?"  If your mechanical aptitude is on the low side, you shouldn't even consider a car like this Jaguar.  Hiring a mechanic to sort this thing out would be prohibitively expensive.  Jaguars don't have the reputation of being easy to work on, and this one, with the engine conversion, is a veritable mine field of unanticipated problems.  This is not even mentioning what might have been done to the infamous British-engineered electrical system.

With that said, I like these early Jaguar sedans (saloons?), but the right-hand drive is definitely a negative in my opinion.

If you won't be doing the work yourself, and you have limited fund$, I would recommend that you pass on this one.

Just sayin',

Grog

Having had a gaggle in my yout I still have an occasional need to know what the oil pressure is in my current crop. AFAIR the Mk II S was kind of a cross of a MK II front end and a MK X rear even to the dual gas tanks. Really dredging but didn't think the 3.4 was sold in the US, only the 3.8.

Ford 302 has got to be the product of a rainy day, a ded Jag on one side and a 302 on the other.

ps if you really want a Jag saloon that Inspector Morse didn't have, go for a MK IX, classic styling and disk brakes.