Your Dream Car

Guest Jacob

Guest Jacob

Just curious as to what everybody's dream car is. :P

Mine would be a Ghia, C1 Corvette, or, my personal favorite of all time, the 1962 Porsche 356. I do like Corvette Stingrays as well.

When I first became enamored with old cars, 55 years ago when I was 12, I have always been drawn to the really old cars, especially large, brass cars. I would have to say a 6-70 Thomas Flyer. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Pope, a Stoddard Dayton, a Pierce or anything similar but the Thomas, with the Great Race provenance, has always been my Holy Grail car

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

I have mine - my 1932 Dodge DL sedan. The first car I ever owned (bought in 1965), found after 45 years and now back in my garage. I've dreamed about owning it again since the day I was forced to sell it in 1967.

When I was in my early 20s I fell in love with a 1937 Buick Sedan. The guy who owned it would not give me a price and would not entertain the though of selling it. I vowed that "one day" I will own a 1937 Buick. Over the next couple of decades, whenever I visited my hometown, I would stop by and see how much more that Buick had deteriorated. It finally disappeared about 10 years ago.

About 10 years after I attempted to buy that 1937 Buick, I bought my first antique car. I bought a 1931 Model A Ford because I thought it would be a good first collector car. Over the years I kept buying Model A Fords. I have owned quite a few Model As and a few other collector cars over the years. A year or two ago, realized I am retired and "one day" had arrived. I found my 1937 Buick Century and I am very happy with it. 

Thanks for posting the Bugatti photos Curti and Alsancle, both cars we once in the Peter Williamson collection. I had the pleasure of working on both of them back in the 1970's. Somewere there is a photo of the Type 57SC on an open trailer in my Mom & Dads driveway, when I stopped home for lunch before delivering the car. Back then it was the highest selling car at auction at $65,000. and we all wondered were the hobby was going. Bob 

Hey Bob,  I was just trying to think of the most expensive car there is and I believe this one sold privately for the most money of any car ever.  These thread pop up at least once a year and I don't find them overly interesting but I figured since Curt waded in I might post something :)

Hey Bob,  I was just trying to think of the most expensive car there is and I believe this one sold privately for the most money of any car ever.  These thread pop up at least once a year and I don't find them overly interesting but I figured since Curt waded in I might post something :)

Either I'm getting old or I've been in the hobby too long, but i remember after Bill Harrah passed away there was talk that THE WHOLE COLLECTION might bring as much as 15 million dollars! Bob 

Exactly my sentiments  AJ .  You do have good taste!

There was something magical about that Type 57SC, the seat angle was such that you felt like some strange force was pulling you into the car. I backed the car in and out of the shop, but like all the cars had no desire to take them out on the road, breaking them was a job for the owners. Bob 

Because all old cars are interesting to me,

I don't have any "dream" cars.  I'm just as happy

driving a velour-lined 1970's Buick or Lincoln,

worth $10,000 at most, as I would be riding in someone's

expensive Classic.

And for those who aspire to Cadillac V16's:

One owner I know said they drive like F250 trucks.

Locomobiles, for instance, require considerable strength.

People with the big cars sometimes prefer smaller cars

of that era for a more enjoyable driving experience!

So if you have a Ford Model A or a 1978 Buick,

and a happy family to go along for the ride, maybe

you've already achieved your dream.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Since we are talking dream cars the list is nearly endless.  My first auto crush{about 10 years old} was either a circa 1946 / 1932 Ford "highboy" roadster, dry lakes racer, or a 1957 Chev. 2 Dr. Ht.  I unfortunately have never owned a 32 Ford, the 57 I have {and a rough old thing it is}.

Then at about 12 years old I fell under the spell of MGA's , I have owned several over the years.

Since then I have added about 150 more to the list. Nearly all are out of reach but we are talking dreams here so I would settle for a circa 1969 McLaren M8, or a Lola T 70 ,any version of either. Or perhaps a Lister Jag from about 1956.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)