47clubcoup

front end alig

on a 47 lz do i need to have my shocks on it to get it aligned ? with shocks off car do i fill them with hyd oil with them extended ? or retracted ? how do you tell if a shock is good/bad ? thanks guys for your help.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

The solid axle front suspension doesn't requires alignment like the same era cars with independent front suspension ( they even crow about this in the owner's manuals).. The only adjustments needed are for "toe in" and centering the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. The shocks have no part in any of these adjustment. The shocks were usually service when installed on the car so it really doesn't matter the position of the actuating arm.

Possibly the best way to determine if the shock is good is to pull the link and manually move the lever. If it's very loose then it either needs fluid or is bad or both. There's a thread on what kind of fluid should be used. I bought some from Mac's but it didn't do any good. Shipped the shocks off to Five Points (www.classicautoshocks.com), who rebuilt all of them. He replaced the seals with I think Viton and uses heavy weight gear oil. I'm very satisfied with them.