Long shot- Looking for Wooden carved 1920 / 1930 era car

Guest AlCapone

Guest AlCapone

I am creating a unique sign / archway for my car collection which will represent a 1930 era service station. I am looking for a hand carved wooden creation of a 30 era Ford, Chev, Chrysler, etcetera that will sit atop the archway ! I know it is a long shot but does anyone have such a creation or know where I can get one. There were several at Hershey last year I am told. I was there but I did not see them. I would also consider steel or tin. I am hoping for 24 to 30 inches long. Must be boxy type car. Thank you everyone! Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I apologize, but reading through your note, I'm not exactly sure of what you are seeking, Wayne.

You mention you want a unique sign, but then mention you want a creation of a 1930s era vehicle.  Do you mean you want the nameplate carved in wood ... or ... the actual car design-shape carved out of wood?

I ask because a few years ago, I saw a business at a swap meet offering a whole bunch of different wood-carved nameplates.  I think I grabbed a business card, but I'd have to hunt to see where I might've placed it.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Never settle for the path of least resistance" __ Lee Ann Womack __ 'I Hope You Dance'

Guest AlCapone

Sorry for the confusion. I want a car carved out of wood. A car possibly 2 feet long by 12 inches high and 12 inches high. Kind of a wooden kids toy but with more detail. I will then incorporate that into a sign / archway I am presently making. Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Al,

I'll bet you'll be able to find one on the internet somewhere ... just keep lookin'.

Here's the link to one on Ebay. Although this one is only 15 inches long, I'll bet there's a 24 incher lurking out there somewhere.

The link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-MODEL-CAR-BEAUTIFUL-WOODEN-HANDMADE-15-Long-5-Tall-/281757784695

Is that the sort of thing you have in mind?

I'll resist the temptation to make old, tired jokes about things never being long enough.

So long,

Grog

Here's a video on making an old Jaguar model. It seems to be closer to the size you want, and is not overly detailed. Fine details in wood don't weather well if outside and exposed to the elements. Am I correct in assuming that your sign will be outside?

Here's the link to the video:

It looks like plans are available, and if you aren't a fan of woodworking, you are probably acquainted with someone who is.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

Grog

That would have been considered Folk Art in the 1930's and commissioned with a local carver. Locally, Richard Kron:  https://www.behance.net/gallery/22049563/Interview-with-artist-Richard-Kron-of-Brockport-NY

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMMMF3_Ground_Zero_Brockport_F_D_9_11_Memorial_Brockport_NY

has done a lot of work in that fashion. He carved a full sized child's Buick pedal car for a friend of mine.

He might do a commissioned project, although hanging around the collection and talking for a couple of days would probably create a freer artist's interpretation, more in line with an actual period piece.

Bernie

Guest AlCapone

Here's a video on making an old Jaguar model. It seems to be closer to the size you want, and is not overly detailed. Fine details in wood don't weather well if outside and exposed to the elements. Am I correct in assuming that your sign will be outside?Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6P2_K03Q1kIt looks like plans are available, and if you aren't a fan of woodworking, you are probably acquainted with someone who is.Good luck, and let us know how it works out.Cheers,Grog

Yes this is exactly what I am looking for. A basic description would be an outdoor arch formed with 2 ten foot tall 8 by 8 upright timbers with a 16 foot horizontal 8 by 8 timber joining them at the top. Hanging down will be a carved 12 foot by 18 inch sign. I then planned to place the carved car on the top of the horizontal timber. The uprights are 10 feet on top of the ground and 3 feet buried. Wayne

Guest Bob Call

Go to a local arts and crafts fair/show and I'll bet you can find or get a lead to a local woodcarver/craftsman that can make exactly what you want.

Guest AlCapone

Try one of those chain saw artists.

I was indeed looking for more detail than a chainsaw carving ! They make great bears but never seen a great car. Wayne