Junior Members

Shawn Miller

There has been some discusion on other threads about the costs of families attending events, and other clubs who have junior memberships.<P>It was mentioned that if someone stepped up to the plate and volunteered to help get this sort of thing moving, it may have more chance for success.<P>Consider me a volunteer for such an activity.<P>I think our CCCA members children will not be of the sort to "run around wild" as someone feared. Having kids at our events will not diminish them in any way. <P>Who's with me? <P>Shawn Miller<BR>Asst Director/Editor<BR>Indiana Region<p>[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: Shawn Miller ]

Guest Chuck Conrad

Shawn,<P>Be careful what you volunteer for, you may get it. That's how I got so many jobs in the Club. I really ought to learn to say "NO!"<P>Since I think I know you pretty well, I'm sure you are quite serious about this. I can't think of a better man for the job.<P>Please email me at chuxgarage@aol.com and we'll talk. Do you think you might have some free time around our next Board Meeting? Off hand, I think it's about Aug 26 & 27 in Des Plaines. I'll let you know the exact date.

Shawn:<P>I support you completely, I think it is very important to do what we can to make the CCCA more children and young people friendly.<P>I think you will need to be patient, though. I don't think the CCCA is "anti-kid" or scared that kids will scratch their cars. Rather it is that their own children are grown up and they are just not into thinking about this issue.<P>I am involved with a VMCCA national tour next month and we included a children's program in it -- and very friendly kids rates for everything. Unfortunately, only three kids are coming out of almost 150 folks entered! But we are not giving up, I think it takes time for people to realize that these activities can be family friendly.<P>I can tell you'll be creative about this. Good luck!<P>ps don't expect any help from me, I never volunteer for anything....<P>Bill.

Shawn,<BR>I am with you 100%. I have been taking my two daughters with me to car meets since the were born. They are now 16 & 14 and love old cars. They go so far as to ask me when the next meet is that we are going to attend. Over the years they have made friends of other kids who attend the meets and look forward to the next meet when they can see their buddies again. The problem with kids that “run around wild" is more an issue with the parents than the kids. In the 16 years that I have attended meets with my kids this has never been an issue with any of our children or the children of others that I know because we always know where our children are and what they are doing. <BR>Go for it, I am with you,<P>PS. You can expect help from me, I will volunteer for a good cause....<p>[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: Mark Huston ]

Guest Chuck Conrad

This is looking good! With your help, I'll do my best to get some kind of program started with the Board. As you mentioned, CCCA isn't really anti-kids, it's just that the organizers of our events are not thinking along those lines since most are "empty nesters." <P>I'm pretty sure the Board's big concern will be they don't want to have to administer the program themselves. Most of us do multiple jobs already. In fact, it seems to be getting harder and harder to find qualified people who are willing to do the work. If enough of you are willing to step and make this happen, then I'm sure you will be well received.

• 2 months later...

KIDS ARE NEAT--I couldn't agree more. The heart of our clubs rests in the membership base. In my view, the younger member the better; that's the only way that kids will actually take ownership of the hobby. I have two boys JJ age 20 and David almost 16---JJ went on his first CCCA Caravan (1986) at age 4 . He traveled well , made a huge hit with the older folks and was no trouble to anyone. Today he enjoys owning a bone stock 1932 Ford 3 window (obviously a non classic)has a great number of much older "Classic Car Club" friends who treat him like a son, and most important-- he is in the hobby. He has been on 4 seperate Caravans. David has been on 3 Caravans(STARTED AT AGE 2) and at the last Grand Classic held in Seattle Wash two summers ago helped Gale Doss as a runner for Judging---incidently in Canada we have a Junior Judges Program --both of these boys are now full time acredited Judges.They have both Judged for 4 years under the guidance of a Senior Judge. When I look at their score sheets they are often only two points different than their mentor...Kids are "SUPER" in my book ----exclude them and we "ALL" miss a great opportunity to share.

Cheers to all ,

John Carlson ,

Chief Judge,Vintage Car Club of Canada

National President, National Association of Antique Automobile Clubs of Canada Corporation----------20 year CCCA member----------

Would love to take my kids on the Colorado CARavan, but Alas, uit is scheduled during the school year. same thing with the just completed Oh Canada CARavan. Hopefully we will have some CARavans during the summer months when kids can participate in 2004.

Shawn Miller

Asst Director

Indiana Region

• 1 month later...

Shawn,

What has come of your request? As a family man myself, it would be great to be able to share ( and afford ) the experience and passion for classic cars.

I think the future of the CCCA may be dependent upon its ability to tear down old walls and build new bridges without sacrificing the standard of classic cars. That, in it and of itself, is a separate (and very hot) issue.

My research is beginning to yield interesting results.

Carlos

Well it has actually been well received by various national bod members, and it is really just up to me and whoever I can put together as a committee to come up with some proposals and submit them to the board. This isnt brain surgery really, so I should have something put together shortly, and we will see where it will go. Since we plan our national events pretty far ahead, it will take some time to implement these things on the national level.

I have a full plate for the next month as I assume the mantle of leadership here in Indiana, among other things.

We already do these things here in Indy, so it will be pretty simple really. This is a great club, with the finest people in the hobby in it, so I really foresee no problems here whatsoever.

Shawn Miller

Indiana Region