30U Water Pump Packing

hursst

Hello,
I have a '30 30U with a water pump. I had the pump rebuilt a couple years ago and it worked okay; a few drips here and there. I recently went on a 400-mile your with it, and now it's leaking quite a lot. It looks like it needs new packing.

I've never messed with packing before, but it appears that the rebuilder put in a rubber seal in the packing nut and there was no packing material in addition to this. I believe I overtightened the nut a little trying to stop the original few drips, so I probably ruined the rubber seal.

My question to the group would be, should I leave the rubber seal in place and put packing on top of that (there is still some room within the packing nut), or should I remove the rubber seal and just go with the regular packing material?

Thanks for any responses!

Thanks for the advice.  That's they way I was leaning.  I'll see if anyone else has any ideas first...

Sorry but no ideas. Question is however what size packing. some years back I read something about a certain size Teflon packing material using three pieces with the open ends staggered. Any recommendation on size of packing? Teflon or other material? :)

I have used the graphite-embedded stuff from the hardware store. I can't remember how many times I looped it, but it wasn't very many. I think there are various sizes and I also cannot remember what size I used.

• Like 1

I have a box of Palmetto brand in both 3/16" and 1/4".  3/16" will probably work, but I'll have to compare on the car.