replacing engine head studs

FrankWest107

Thinking of changing the head on my ford model A engine to high compression for added power.

The manufacturer of the head recommends replacing the old /existing head studs..

Is that really possible?? After 80 years have not those studs actually become part of the block???

Anyone have any experience with this??? Let me know before I try it. Thanks

It ain't easy to remove old studs........The old ones are stretched and brittle....If you feel you can remove them; I would suggest you try....or you could retain a master machinist; get him to attempt it....Do it right while you have it down.

I work on old Auburns, they don't have Cylinder head studs, but they do have water pump and intake / exhaust studs.  I have a 95% success rate in removing the studs by heating the stud with a oxygen acetylene torch and applying bees wax to the base of the stud.  Wait about 15 minutes then rock the stud back and forth with a vice grip.  After it comes loose, remove it with a stud puller.  The guys at the machine shop are not water walkers,  one of them gave me this hint.

• 1 month later...

I have a 29 Dodge with stubborn head bolts. I took the nuts off and socked bolts with oil for about month.  Then screwed the nuts back on until they were flush with the top of the bolt, them welded them on. It worked for most of the head bolts. Good luck. 

Guest Bob Call

Use a mixture of acetone and auto trans fluid (50 - 50) to soak the studs. Apply for several days before trying to remove the studs. Get new studs made for this application. Try ARP to see if they make them.

Use a mixture of acetone and auto trans fluid (50 - 50) to soak the studs. Apply for several days before trying to remove the studs. Get new studs made for this application. Try ARP to see if they make them.

A scientific study was done and this was found to be superior to all marketed products.