Fastest Full Classic?

Shawn Miller

Often have wondered what the fastest full classic would have been. Being from Indianapolis, of course i would think it would be one of the cars eminating from here...either the marmon 16, J Duesie, or maybe dv32 Stutz. but then again those euro cars might give some of these a run for their money.<P>Any ideas or first hand experience?<P>Shawn Miller<BR>Indiana Region

The 'est of anything is always hard to determine, but I'll throw in a contender for the fastest individual Classic Car. In 1972 an Englishman by the name of John (Jumbo) Goddard, then 65 years old, piloted his 1924 or 25 Bentley 3 Litre, now fitted with a slightly non-standard 8 litre engine to 158.2 mph. This was an FIA recognized flying kilometer record, run in Belgium. Just a few years ago, Stanley Mann, also of England and also piloting a Vintage Bentley, somewhat modified, bettered that record, but I can't seem to put my hands on the exact speed. I think it was somewhere in the low to mid 160 mph range. What other contenders do we have?<BR>Jon Lee

If we are talking about PRODUCTION cars, I'd vote for the last few years of Pierce Arrow. They had an engine just as big and as powerful as the Packard Twelve, but they had one thing I had to "rig" for myself...HIGH SPEED GEARING. ( they had over-drives). <P>A otherwise "stock" but "high geared" "small" Packard Twelve went 124 mi. an hour in a Packard factory (We Beat A Golf Ball" test (the '32 thru '34 Packard Twelves were only 440 cu in)...so obviously, the longer stroke larger displacement Packard and Pierce V-12's would be considerably faster ( I am not about to find out how fast mine will go...!) My recollection is that a bone stock Pierce, minus its fenders, went way over 124 mph in a Great Salt Lake speed demo, in the late 1930's. Certainly not a Dusenberg...the "blown" ones MIGHT with the HIGHEST gearing avail..get up around 115-120....not sure what a "540" would do...but with those poured babbit con. rods...bet it wouldnt do it for very long..!<P>Pete Hartmann