How Many Left?

Guest crossbowme

Guest Coronet440

I wish someone would come up with a means to figure it out. I'm not sure how to go about even making a fair estimate. I have one (I live in Chantilly, VA), I know that, and I guess there's one in Arlington, VA according to another member here. A while back I also saw a red '89 posted for sale on CL in Annapolis, MD. Not sure if it sold or if it belongs to someone here. 7,301 total built, according to production numbers. I count 3 in my region. It'd be neat if someone made a map of where they're all located. I guess I should start keeping tabs on eBay!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't keep up with the Yahoo group much anymore, too  inactive compared to this site and Yahoo changed the format which makes the database a chore to update. I switched to using MS Office but will shortly be on only Linux machines so that is out as well.  The .doc file is on the yahoo site if anyone wants to download it and use it as a starting point for their own database.

A good rule of thumb for cars still around is a third of the production run up to half the production run for cars designed as "occasional use" vehicles, like the TC and Reatta. Registrations cannot be used for these cars because quite a few have ended up stored in garages and not registered for the road.

A good rule of thumb for cars still around is a third of the production run up to half the production run for cars designed as "occasional use" vehicles, like the TC and Reatta. Registrations cannot be used for these cars because quite a few have ended up stored in garages and not registered for the road.

I don't agree. Unles a Chrysler Dealer was hoarding one in stock, every TC that reached these shores would have to be registered in some state in order to get out of the dealership.

Guest ChristyOz

It would br interesting to know the production number of each TC left. Mine still has the nameplate with the original owner's name and it's number which is 89-1397.

Hemi, I meant not currently registered, as in letting the registration lapse while storing the car without driving it for several years. Most states have a database they sell that includes info on currently registered vehicles by whatever headings you desire to pay for. These lists do not include any identifiers to the owner or actual address on the registrations since that would violate privacy laws, kind of like the Census bureau provides information gleaned from the forms they have  each household fill out.

Edited by ghostymosty (see edit history)

It would be interesting to know the production number of each TC left. Mine still has the nameplate with the original owner's name and it's number which is 89-1397.

That plate number is not the production number of your TC. The plates were numbered in the order the plate maker received the request from the dealership and sequential plate numbers may be for TC's that were put together many months apart but sold at about the same time. Not all dealers even requested the plate so many TC's never got one. The production number is closer to the last 4 numbers on the VIN for the 1989 although the production line would put some higher numbers in front of some of the lower numbers if a dealer had presold the higher VIN because of color or engine/transmission. Some numbers were skipped when changing to the 1990 model year so that VIN is not even close to the production number on 1990 and 1991 TC's.

Edited by ghostymosty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TomChrysler

Thanks for the info on the Yahoo site file, Ghosty!  I downloaded it so I can reference it.  I just bought a 1990 Yellow/Black/Black TC with 43,000 miles.  It sat in its owners garage since 1999, which is why it probably did not make the list.  It's like a new car!  So, just to let folks know, the nice one-owner cars are still out there!  So, keep your eyes open!

post-134713-0-88112900-1440993426_thumb.

• 1 month later...
Guest mark_andrews

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 1991 red TC... the 6-cylinder, not the turbo... and it has both tops... I'd say it's a few points from mint condition, since it's not perfect. I'm 50 years old and this is the ONLY one I have ever seen in real life. The guy I bought this car from claims a friend of his has 4 of them. Of course, I've never seen them. Since this is the ONLY one I've ever seen, it's the ONLY one I can verify exists. I'm sure there's more out there, but they're getting even more rare than they were when they were first created. They are very cool, unique, and rare little cars... and sooner or later they're bound to "catch on" by the real collector. However, rest assured, I love mine and I don't plan on EVER selling it... at any price. I will most likely leave it to my nephew's child... which, just for the record, isn't even born yet. Nonetheless, for the time being, I'm going to enjoy it myself.