HELP VIN LOCATION

Bought 41 Chev Coupe without engine.<BR>DMV will not register without VIN which is located on engine block.<BR>Does anyone know location of VIN on body or frame?<P>Any help on this greatly appreciated. Called GM customer service and no help.<P>Joe<BR> smile.gif" border="0

Dear Unreigs. Joe:<P>( re: his question about VIN numbers )<P>I sympathize with your plight...had personal experience with the kind of attitude you will run into at your state's Motor Vehicle Dept....!<P>Someyears ago, I purchased a "monster". (which I still own and operate ) a American-La France V-12 fire engine. This vehicle's 800 cu. in over-head cam engine, built from 1930 and used until 1960, except for the "give-a-way" UP-draft carbs, LOOKS as modern as today.<P>Problem - I bought it out-of-state, on a Bill Of Sale. No registration. NONE ( they didn't register emergency vehicles in the state where it came from).<P>So, I drove over to the local office with it, parked it outside the door...and...entered the California Dept. Of Motor Vehicles "govt" mentality. "Young man" (that was nice...I was in my '50's at the time...!) Your VIN isn't listed on this Bill Of Sale...I see only a four digit number...that just won't do...".<P>"But..lady...this vehicle didn't HAVE a VIN". "Don't tell me"...she said..quite uffaly..."just go out and look on the flat area above your dash-board"....<P>"But...lady..this vehicle HAS NO "area above the dash"....there ISNT any".<P>"Well then....young man...look somewhere else on the vehicle...you HAVE to have a VIN"<P>"But..Lady.." ( I said...trying to keep my blood pressure down ) a VIN ( Federal Vehicle Identification Number) is something that did not EXIST until it was "invented" by Congress, and introduced into Federal Law in the early 1960's. "This is a 1936 vehicle" I said..trying to control my temper.... " NO CAR BUILT BEFORE THE 1960'S has a "VIN".In those years, state motor vehicle registration was by engine block number, or, in some cases, by a chassis serial number..." I screamed...<P>"Well...young man" (calling me "young" again was certainly kind of nice of her...!).. "you will have to write the manufacturer...and get a letter from them telling me they didn't have a VIN when your vehicle was new...." <P>"But lady.....the manufacturer went out of business and its facilities were razed to the ground over 30 years ago...."<P>" THAT'S NO EXCUSE...SHE SNAPPED"...!<P>Seriously, you need to talk to a supervisor. I suspect you will find that your state, like California, has a provision for CREATING and ASSIGNING a new number, if the old one is not apparent. You may have to get thru several levels of supervision, and several appointments, in order to get to someone who even KNOWS this, and/or has the authority to do this...but be patient....remember..govt. is here to help! (and take your money...and create trouble for you...which justifies taking MORE of your money...and providing MORE jobs for MORE govt. workers....!<P>( In my case..I found a sympathetic supervisor who came out, inspected the fire engine...loved it...and assured me the manufacturer's original chassis identificaiton/serial number was quite satisfactory for registration )<P>( And please...next time you enter the site of the Classic Car Club Of America...read over our "heading information"....you will find, our focus in this particular Club is on the big expensive limited production LUXURY cars of the "classic" era....a Chevrolet is a "common man" car..and I KNOW there are clubs focused on cars of that nature, where you will find people competent in that type and make of car...)<P>GOOD LUCK !<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big SPrings, AZ.

Joe:<P>I have a '40 Chevy and the frame SN for it is located on the right front door sill, under the carpet or mat. There should be a plate rivited there. I am sure the '41 has the same location.<P>Unfortunately, this area receives a lot of rust damage, and often these plates are missing or rusted beyond recognition.<P>If you contact the Vintage Chevrolet Club then can probably advise you of the range of SN's available for these cars. And there may be other duplicate locations (like stamped into the frame)that were marked to prevent ilicit renumbering of the cars.<P>Since there is no engine in the car, you may be able to obtain a salvage title and use any number you want. Check with your state's MVD rules.<P>Good luck!<BR>Bill.