Stutz M8 Chassis numbers

Smile

Milton Jones was a hobbiest / local race car driver, mechanic along with his son & my late grandfather, Milton Ronald Jones, of Los Altos, Ca that moved from Akron, Oh to become an Airline Pilot for American Airlines.  His father, did own a paint & body shop in addition to a string of food & burger establishments in the area.  His profession and / or relative affluence as suggested herein was not related to illegal activities during prohibition era.  

Many years ago I had an opportunity to purchase the car @ the Blackhawk Car auction at Pebble Beach and regrettably  did not, as encouraged by my past employer/partner and car collector, John Mozart.  Other than hearing my grandfather’s racing memories, I did not know the car existed nor have time to thoroughly research the car.  In retrospect I wish I had purchased the car.  My grandfather worked on the car with his father @ 17 years old and attended the Indianapolis race with his father.

My mother passed very early and after she did, our communication with her brother (Milton’s great grandson) sadly & gradually deteriorated.  His son may have in possession photos or other items that may help you & I’m happy to provide his name & his last known contact information.  Please email me privately for that.

Best wishes.

Christian

Edited by Christian_K (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 7:13 AM, Christian_K said:

Milton Jones was a hobbiest / local race car driver, mechanic along with his son & my late grandfather, Milton Ronald Jones, of Los Altos, Ca that moved from Akron, Oh to become an Airline Pilot for American Airlines.  His father, did own a paint & body shop in addition to a string of food & burger establishments in the area.  His profession and / or relative affluence as suggested herein was not related to illegal activities during prohibition era.  

Many years ago I had an opportunity to purchase the car @ the Blackhawk Car auction at Pebble Beach and regrettably  did not, as encouraged by my past employer/partner and car collector, John Mozart.  Other than hearing my grandfather’s racing memories, I did not know the car existed nor have time to thoroughly research the car.  In retrospect I wish I had purchased the car.  My grandfather worked on the car with his father @ 17 years old and attended the Indianapolis race with his father.

My mother passed very early and after she did, our communication with her brother (Milton’s great grandson) sadly & gradually deteriorated.  His son may have in possession photos or other items that may help you & I’m happy to provide his name & his last known contact information.  Please email me privately for that.

Best wishes.

Christian

Christian,

I just saw your post today - wonderful to hear from you. I've PM-ed you and hope it gets through. 

Fascinating! Thank you so much for posting. I would email you but I don't have an address.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 years later...

Hey guys! My father just bought a Stutz and we were wondering if anyone can give us any info. The vin number is M8-238Y55A. We love the fact that there is so much information here already. Right now we are trying to find out how to join the Stutz club, we have no clue. Reading your information and this forum has been a treat. Thanks for your time! We are so happy we could own such a gorgeous piece of American history.

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Contact;

Dan DiThomas

The Stutz Club Inc.

P. O. Box 2031

Dublin, Ohio 43017

support@stutzclub.org

614 823 0066

Where are you located? 

Body style?

Pictures?

History?

Best regards

Ken

Thank you for the quick reply! We appreciate it very much, we definitely be reaching out soon.

We are located in Northern New Jersey, but we had bought it in Naples(Florida, not Italy).

The Stutz is an M8 Convertible, the engine is also a V8. 

This picture was taken over 40 years ago, right now we are hoping that someone notices anything about the photo. The car probably spent most of its life in Colts Neck, New Jersey.

27811B69-226E-4C93-ABAD-98454FDAEF69.png

On 1/25/2022 at 7:06 PM, KaczAlex said:

Hey guys! My father just bought a Stutz and we were wondering if anyone can give us any info. The vin number is M8-238Y55A. We love the fact that there is so much information here already. Right now we are trying to find out how to join the Stutz club, we have no clue. Reading your information and this forum has been a treat. Thanks for your time! We are so happy we could own such a gorgeous piece of American history.

Thanks for posting the picture – you have a lovely car. 

Those  identification plates can be difficult to read. Yours probably says M8-23-SY55A, with the ‘S’ looking like an ‘8’. 

M8-23-SY55A breaks down into 1929 or 1930 car (M8) - with 2 seater convertible bodywork  (23) , on the shorter, 134.5 inch chassis, which is numbered 30557 - (SY55A).

The chassis number should be stamped vertically, on the end the rear right dumbiron. If the car is together, one must remove the right bumper attachment plate to get at it.

Your car is definitely a 1929 Stutz because it was the 557thcar built with a 134.5inch chassis. There are no Stutz build records, but at a guess your car was built before June 1929. 

Good luck with the restoration!

• Thanks 1

Nice car. Take your time before you do anything. Don’t even run it if it has been sitting. Lots of helpful people here, and they can walk you through it. Less is more. Evaluate it first. Best of luck, Ed Minnie

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Smile said:

Those  identification plates can be difficult to read. Yours probably says M8-23-SY55A, with the ‘S’ looking like an ‘8’. 

M8-23-SY55A breaks down into 1929 or 1930 car (M8) - with 2 seater convertible bodywork  (23) , on the shorter, 134.5 inch chassis, which is numbered 30557 - (SY55A).

The chassis number should be stamped vertically, on the end the rear right dumbiron. If the car is together, one must remove the right bumper attachment plate to get at it.

Your car is definitely a 1929 Stutz because it was the 557thcar built with a 134.5inch chassis. There are no Stutz build records, but at a guess your car was built before June 1929. 

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Nice car. Take your time before you do anything. Don’t even run it if it has been sitting. Lots of helpful people here, and they can walk you through it. Less is more. Evaluate it first. Best of luck, Ed Minnie

Thank you both!!

On 1/27/2022 at 1:19 PM, Smile said:

You were right! The number is 28273, I’m so happy this car is in good hands. I’m doing a professional restoration, in a Duisenberg, Cadillac, Puckers, & Stutz. I’m so happy, she’s going to look amazing in the next 7-8 months. 

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

I’ll be in New Jersey next week......what town are you in?

We are from Mountainside, but my parents own a restaurant in Stanhope, it’s called Bells Mansion, you can stop by anytime and ask for Jack, I’m sure he’ll gladly share a glass of wine with you and show you the car.

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2022 at 4:47 AM, KaczAlex said:

You were right! The number is 28273, I’m so happy this car is in good hands. I’m doing a professional restoration, in a Duisenberg, Cadillac, Puckers, & Stutz. I’m so happy, she’s going to look amazing in the next 7-8 months. 

The 28273 would be a part number on the right hand side. Once you remove the bumperettes you should find the numbers 30557 stamped vertically. 

Excited to see the progress on the car a year later

• 1 month later...

Well, after seven and a half years, the restoration of SY84B is finished.

Thank you everyone who helped me along the way. This forum has been great, and the knowledge shared has been much appreciated.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, this summer 1929 M8 car was the prototype for the road going supercharged Stutzs, and was kept by Stutz until 15 March 1931. A Mr. Milton Jones bought it, drove it, and then painted it up as the Jones Stutz Special and entered it to run in the 1930 Indy 500. Now stripped of its blower, it was the first car to qualify for the race, turning in an average speed of 94.1mph. The next car bumped it down, but technically, and for about fifteen minutes, the Stutz was provisionally on pole for Indy 500. It came home 10th, thanks to the skill of Slim Corum and the tenacity of Fred Patterson, the riding mechanic. It now is once again blown and on the road. It is a great drive, and yes, the blower gives more power. That said, the extra acceleration won't give a nose bleed...

Thanks again.

Mark

image.jpeg.0219e1be88a345e45ee5661f122f5842.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Along with the Chassis numbers is there a way to decipher the coachbuilder tags on the floor of the Stutz. 

This is off my late 1929 5 passenger sedan 

image.jpg