Cutting auto glass

southpaw52

Hi all.  An unusual question to be sure, but I am in need of assistance.  I am building a teardrop camper to tow behind my '56 Special.  I would like to mimic the lines and look of the Special on the trailer.  The trailer however is only 48" wide, so I need a narrower rear window.  Does anyone know if the rear glass for a 56 Special is tempered glass or laminate?  If laminate has anyone had any experience cutting a rear glass?  Does anyone have a suggestion for a curved rear glass from another vehicle that would fit my 48" limitation?

Thanks in advance,

Anne

It can be cut with a smallish diamond wheel chucked up in an air die grinder while an assistant plays a steady stream of cooling water on the cut. Not exactly precision but it should work for your use........................Bob

• Like 1

I believe all rear windows are tempered. They will shatter into a million pieces if you do it right!

;)

Mike is correct. I should have qualified my diamond wheel suggestion by saying laminated glass can be cut by that method. Tempered cannot be cut with out stress relieving it first...............Bob

• Like 1

Guest gmeyer316

Hi Anne, I am the one with the 1948 Nash rear window. I think it might work for your application, it is 38 1/2" by 12 1/2". Here are a couple pictures I tried to show you the curve.

post-154034-0-42167500-1438114270_thumb.

post-154034-0-08356100-1438114298_thumb.

Guest Flyer1

Have never had it done but i think it might be able to be  cut by "waterjet" cutting method (would need to be tried on a sacrificial small sample first ?)...if the sacrificial piece does not turn into a bucket full of small glass ice cubes then probably a good chance the real one won't.

They require a template of shape and usually charge a "setup" fee which may be a bit involved on a curved piece.

Many years ago i used an engraver to put patterns on my wife's car (rear quarter glass) while still in car with no problems , i thought that was cool so i tried it on a rear quarter on the table...it did not just shatter...it went "pop" as soon as the engraver touched it...what a mess.

I think when "waterjet" is used the piece is under water and the cutting head is as well...which may help to absorb some of the shock...from my understanding the cutting head used garnets in a stream of very high pressure water.

Just a thought ! 

Flyer1 and gmeyer,

Thanks to both for your responses. I think we have decided to go a different route on the window. We've decided we want to be able to open the window for ventilation, so will likely go with regular house slider, or something made for a truck canopy. I have seen both in a manageable price range and the needed size. Again, thanks for your help.

Anne

Guest gmeyer316

No problem Anne, that's probably a better idea, good luck on your project and post some photos when you re done.