Horn harness wiring

larry butcher

While removing old wiring harness from the horns on my '48 LC Coupe, I noticed a very fine wire

wrapped around some  fabric. I remember somewhere  reading in my 45 years of paper that

this was resistence drain to prevent shock? I'am enclosing a copy of 1 page of

"Lincoln/Mercury Service News," Vol1-#13-- Nov. 1947. It is attached to horn relay.post-104126-0-46513900-1438008614_thumb.post-104126-0-46513900-1438008614_thumb. Any explanations?

If you do not have this wire and blow the horn with your bare arm touching the window moulding, you will understand why it was needed. I can't load your pictures, so I can't comment on the Service Letter.

Go to your original post and edit it to change the photos so that they will load faster and be large enough to read.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

19tom40, that's really interesting and I don't believe I've ever seen it before. Can you tell me how it works? I looked at it and it just seems to be a small wire, maybe with some resistance, between the hot side of the relay and the wire going to the horn button. I'll admit, a capacitor would be a better choice than a wire or resistor for arc supression.

Here is an article about this problem.  I believe that the diode is the best solution to the problem. The resistor just reduces the back emf so that you do not feel it. Good solid state diodes were not readily available back in the day. They were usually made of selenium and high back currents destroyed them, giving off a rotten egg smell.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/qa-news/qa-with-kit-foster-june-25-2015