Do you know which car from 1921 this is ?

Guest Jaap Bruynzeel

Guest Jaap Bruynzeel

Hello AAC members, 

This photo was taken in june 1921. At a distance of 50 km from Amsterdam - The Netherlands. I assume this car is European buit it might be American as well. 

I simply do not know. I investigated brands such as Delahaye, Delage, Hispano Suiza, Hotchkiss, etc. etc. but nowhere could I identify this car.

At the time you had separate motor and chassis manufacturers and separate carrosserie (body) manufacturers. Mainly in the USA, France, Germany, Italy and also Spain.  

Any identification by you of this car is most welcome to me. Thanks and best regards,  Jaap Bruynzeel - The Netherlands

post-154214-0-59737800-1437901632_thumb.

I am relatively sure this is the bigger and very expensive 28'95 Joswin made in Berlin Germany with generally Szawe bodies and Mercdes engines. Joswin  were made 1920 to 23 . Most pictures have angular radiators but more smoother ones appear on sports/racing cars.  Regards  Vintman

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You might suspect that it was an earlier Mercedes 28/95 chassis, left-over production, clothed and re-styled when Mercedes had shaft-drive supercharged K models with 4 wheel brakes as the top line. You can clearly see the big front sprocket of the chain drive. A man I got to know had a Mercedes 28/95 for sale when I went to his place one Saturday in 1961. He did not come out to talk because one of his friends had died in an accident on the Hume Highway to Sydney the night before. His wife told me the price was 100pounds, (before "dismal" currency). He would apparently strip and discard bodies of cars that were a bit shabby; but that we most certainly would have restored. ( There was a 1927 LaSalle chassis there at the same time. A decade or so later I made a deal to obtain some Isotta Fraschini and 3rd series Twin Six Packard parts, I got the original rear mudguards from the Mercedes, which had gone elsewhere.