What I this 28 Cadilac part

Blunderbuss

Unfortunately, many parts are not terribly valuable. Of course, if they all were, most of us could never afford to keep, repair, or drive antiques, and perfectly good cars would either be parted out for profit, or worth so much that none but the wealthiest could afford anything. 

Since vintage water-pumps tend to rot away, that part may be of some value if it is in fact part of a Cadillac water-pump. I don't have any Cadillac to compare it to. Mostly, getting vintage parts to appropriate users needs to be done for the good of the hobby as much as for the monetary return.

That has been my opinion for over 45 years and I am sticking to it.

Vintage water-pumps sometimes require very creative fabrication to rebuild.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

The identity is a pretty wild guess by whoever wrote the label. Starting with the late 1927 314C, which was the last Cadillac with fork and blade conrods, (and parallel cylinder blocks), the waterpump was mounted right front of the crankcase, with the generator driven behind it by the same drive chain. The three bolt mounting of both has two slotted holes to provide easy lash adjustment of the timing chain. This design was carried through Cadillac 341 and 353, and shared by the slightly smaller V8 LaSalles. That water pump end-piece fits a mounting on the rear right hand side of 1927-on eight cylinder OHC Stutz and OHC 6 cylinder Blackhawk engines. The waterpump is driven by a shaft from the rear of the generator. The angle of the photo does not show the hole for the stainless button-head pin, which bears on the end of the pump shaft, to limit end-float of the shaft and impeller. I have a vague memory that the earliest engines may not have had that. The brass impeller of one pump I have here has worn paper thin that side where it has been running against the taper on the other side of that end piece

Edited by Ivan Saxton (see edit history)